This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Gasket material

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
52DAVE
Zip Code: 49401

Gasket material

Postby 52DAVE » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:08 pm

Last fall after I finally got my new to me cub home after a major motor overhaul I started to replace the rest of the fluids. Both the steering and trans. had over twice as much gear lube in them than they should have had. I got about 6 qts. out between the two of them. Now that it's getting warm enough to start working on it again I want to do the final drives. I would like to save some $ and make my own gaskets. There are several types and thicknesses of material to make gaskets with. Does it matter what I use? I also want to replace the one for the shifter plate that is leaking. I will likely also replace others in the future. Is there a way to tell what to use where or doesn't it matter. Dave

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Gasket material

Postby ricky racer » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:51 pm

Dave, I don't think the gasket material is as important as the sheet metal of the final drive bottom covers sealing surface being flat. I believe the gaskets were made from cork which offers some compression and would be a good choice for any homemade gaskets. It's a good idea to maybe spend a little time with a hammer and dolly to get the surface as flat as possible and don't over tighten the screws.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:52 pm

Take a look at the gaskets on TM Tractor Parts website. That will give you an indication of the material used in the OEM gaskets. For the two gaskets that you mention, the thickness is not critical. You could even use a cereal box for the shifter gasket.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:18 am

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fr/125fp.htm

The above link is to TM's listing for the pan gaskets. The picture shows it to be the old fashioned cork gaskets.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:51 am

Pick up an assortment of sheet gasket material from the auto parts store and some RTV. Black RTV for the finals pan gasket.

I purchase the large cork gaskets because they are difficult to get exact.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Stoffregen Motorsports
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 95614

Postby Stoffregen Motorsports » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:06 am

I recently bought a roll of gasket material to replace the one I bought 20 years ago. The roll I got from McMaster -Carr, after a couple hours of researching the best type of generic or all purpose gasket material. I wanted something thick enough and soft enough for gasketing thin sheetmetal to hard cast surfaces, but strong enough for intake manifold and water outlet/inlet purposes.

What I ended up buying was 1/32" thick "Paper Fiber/Buna-N Rubber Blend, Water-Resistant Lightweight Fiber Gasket Material." Here'the link to that product page - https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/129/3946/9556K114

I'll see if I can post a snapshot.
Nope, can't attach a snapshot...

elongest
Zip Code: 23111

Postby elongest » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:59 pm

Harbor Freight sells hole cutting punches. https://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece-h ... hole+punch