This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Welcome to March in lower Michigan

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 48162
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub

Re: Welcome to March in lower Michigan

Postby cdahl383 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:15 pm

I'm over in southeast Michigan. Did you lose power during that ice storm about a month ago?

Looks like the Cub did a good job plowing. Got any pics of your tractor? I'm looking around at ones for sale near me right now. Thinking of picking one up for myself.

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby v w » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:03 am

cdahl383 wrote:I'm over in southeast Michigan. Did you lose power during that ice storm about a month ago?

Looks like the Cub did a good job plowing. Got any pics of your tractor? I'm looking around at ones for sale near me right now. Thinking of picking one up for myself.

No but a LOT of people around us lost power. We were shut off for maybe 15 minutes while the neighbors service line was repaired but that was it. Vern

cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 48162
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub

Postby cdahl383 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:19 pm

v w wrote:
cdahl383 wrote:I'm over in southeast Michigan. Did you lose power during that ice storm about a month ago?

No but a LOT of people around us lost power. We were shut off for maybe 15 minutes while the neighbors service line was repaired but that was it. Vern

I see. That's not bad at all. We lost our power for 5 days! It was terrible. We lose power so often in Carleton it's ridiculous. My wife and I are looking at getting a home backup generator as we're tired of the all the outages. Not only are they frequent, but many times they are for multiple days in a row!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:18 pm

Look not… Do.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:47 pm

cdahl383 wrote:We lose power so often in Carleton it's ridiculous. My wife and I are looking at getting a home backup generator as we're tired of the all the outages.

We finally bit the bullet last October and installed a Generac. Only needed it once for several hours a couple weeks ago. I had just gotten home from the hospital and need electric. We are glad we had the back up.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:59 pm

We're pretty fortunate where I'm at. We don't loose power very often and when we do, it's usually not for very long. I think the longest we've been out was maybe 6 hours. Normally it's less than an hour.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

ajhbike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06405
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1951 Super C
1966 IH 504 Hi-Clear
1968 JD 3020
1949 JD B
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby ajhbike » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:24 am

It is a huge peace of mind for me not having to worry about losing power. We put in the Tesla solar system and Powerwall batteries and it is huge for us. We get small outages every other month and once went 5 days and never missed a beat. Peace of mind about power seems to mean more the older I get....

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby v w » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:20 am

ricky racer wrote:We're pretty fortunate where I'm at. We don't loose power very often and when we do, it's usually not for very long. I think the longest we've been out was maybe 6 hours. Normally it's less than an hour.

Rick, Do you have Consumers or Michigan-Indiana power? Consumers isn't very fast sometimes but this last one was quite widespread.

We have a small (3000 watt) generator which keeps food cold and the furnace running but is somewhat of a pain to use since I have to get it out, hope that I have fuel since I always run it dry and get it going. Used it several times in the 30 years we've had it. Others have used it too. Only good thing about a portable. Well I also use it to power a pole saw. I have it on a small trailer I pull with the lawn mower.

A couple of weeks ago I thought about tilling the garden. Didn't get to it. The next day I fired up the snow blower. Yep, it is March. Vern

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:23 am

v w wrote:
ricky racer wrote:We're pretty fortunate where I'm at. We don't loose power very often and when we do, it's usually not for very long. I think the longest we've been out was maybe 6 hours. Normally it's less than an hour.

Rick, Do you have Consumers or Michigan-Indiana power? Consumers isn't very fast sometimes but this last one was quite widespread.

We have a small (3000 watt) generator which keeps food cold and the furnace running but is somewhat of a pain to use since I have to get it out, hope that I have fuel since I always run it dry and get it going. Used it several times in the 30 years we've had it. Others have used it too. Only good thing about a portable. Well I also use it to power a pole saw. I have it on a small trailer I pull with the lawn mower.

A couple of weeks ago I thought about tilling the garden. Didn't get to it. The next day I fired up the snow blower. Yep, it is March. Vern

Vern, we have Indiana-Michigan Power. I'm not sure it really matters who provides your electrical power, I think it matters where you're located that matters how quickly they get you back up and running. I'm not sure why our area gets such quick attention but I'm glad it does.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

NJ Farmer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08876
Tractors Owned: 1953 F-Cub
1957 F-Cub
1956 Lo-Boy
1971 Cub Cadet 149
1976 Cub Cadet 1200

Postby NJ Farmer » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:39 am

I ran into this few years ago during a widespread power outage. Getting your power back online is based on how many customers can be fixed at once. So if you’re the last customer on the string and fixing your power line will only bring ONE customer back on line you are the last to get repaired. Also power companies will not touch trees or down trees so if you need a tree to be removed the power company with have to contract a tree removal company first then fix the line.

Basically if you live out in the sticks a generator is probably a safe investment.

NJ Farmer
(First Energy Customer)

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:43 pm

If you don’t particularly enjoy primitive camping in your own house, it’s not only a safe investment, but a wise one. It also adds value to your property.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:23 pm

We are on well water. No power, no water. No water, no toilet. Since my recent hospital stay, a usable bathroom was needed almost every hour "just in case". When the power failed a few weeks ago I'm glad the Generac was there just in case.

On a side note, I sure am glad everything is healing all right and emergencies are few and far between.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:16 am

Whoo we're getting iced again. White pines are really sagging.
Heavy slush too.

phill_mi
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 49435
Tractors Owned: '47 Ford 2N (with '50 8N motor)
'48 Farmall Cub
C22 sickle
'52 Ferguson TO-30
'63 Farmall 560 gas with loader

Postby phill_mi » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:16 pm

Still mostly just rain, just southwest of you Waif, near Marne, but chilly.

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby v w » Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:54 am

NJ Farmer wrote:I ran into this few years ago during a widespread power outage. Getting your power back online is based on how many customers can be fixed at once. So if you’re the last customer on the string and fixing your power line will only bring ONE customer back on line you are the last to get repaired. Also power companies will not touch trees or down trees so if you need a tree to be removed the power company with have to contract a tree removal company first then fix the line.

Basically if you live out in the sticks a generator is probably a safe investment.

NJ Farmer
(First Energy Customer)

Yes, We are told that also. Repairs go first to where "it will do the most good". Translation: "Repairs will go first to where we can get the most and biggest meters going". That is why the neighbors service line was near the end. The neighbor has a whole house auto back up generator burning natural gas so they were in good shape. I'm quite sure our power company will cut downed trees Vern