This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Engine won't speed up.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Royalwulff24
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 16844

Engine won't speed up.

Postby Royalwulff24 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:27 pm

Hey guys, so I got my 59 running, timing, etc, all good, ran it for about an hour, throttle worked fine. That was 3 weeks ago, went out this morning had a heck of a time starting it, got it running, after about five minutes, with choke open I pushed the throttle lever ahead, nothing, pushed it the whole way forward, remained at an idle, it ran for a few more minutes with the throttle in wide open positioning, after a few minutes the engine began to speed up, it revved for about 15-20 seconds and went right back to idle, another minute or two it did it again, back down to idle then it shut off. I spayed the holy heck. Out of the linkage last fall and replaced the spring on the governor, the gov to carb linkage is adjusted according to the manual, but when it is adjusted properly I am so close to being out of adjustment that I can't give it the extra turn to account for wear or it will fall off. I Have a problem but I am stumped at the moment, any advice, as always is appreciated
Thank you

Stoffregen Motorsports
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 95614

Re: Engine won't speed up.

Postby Stoffregen Motorsports » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:07 pm

Are you sure the throttle shaft on the carb is actually moving? The throttle linkage goes to the governor first and that actuates the carb throttle shaft. Try moving the throttle shaft while it's running and see if that allows it to rev. If it does, then there's a problem with the governor.

Royalwulff24
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Royalwulff24 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:09 am

Yes everything seems to be working, when I got it started, with the throttle at full speed, it only idles, as it was idling it does up for a second, then slowed back down. The thing worked fine 2 weeks ago, it revved up and slowed down perfectly. I put a new distributor in it, could I possibly have the timing off ? I turned the motor some when the distributor was out When I had it running, it would only run at full throttle, one notch off full throttle and it shut off. Also, when adjusted according to the manual my yoke on the carb to governor shaft is completely out of adjustment, that doesn't seem right. Just seems odd it worked fine two weeks ago

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby inairam » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:51 am

The first thing to check is if the lever on the governor is actually moving back and forth when you move the throttle. The lever does lock up. I had one break just after I replaced the spring.

The second is the adjustment between the governor and the carb needs to be adjusted per the manual. You may want to do this again.

Can you manually move the rod to the carb and get it to rev up? The shaft in the carb could be frozen.

Also, I have had cotter pins that we too long on the connections to the carb causing hand-ups

In my experience, it is almost never the governor's insides. It is almost always a linkage or adjustment problem
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:09 am

Lube all pivot points in the throttle/governor/carburetor linkage system. Then work them each back and forth with the engine off. You may have to disconnect some of the linkage to do this. Check for a broken external governor spring.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:14 am

You might also check where the governor rockshaft enters the governor lever. There is a tiny woodruff key there which can wear (or the slot it sits in), causing some "slop", or if sheared, would allow the shaft to slip and not respond to governor commands.
Worth a quick check...any rotation of that shaft should cause the lever to move.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Stoffregen Motorsports
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Stoffregen Motorsports » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:23 am

You haven't said if the throttle shaft at the carb is actually moving. That would tell us a lot about what's going on.

Second, you had the distributor out? Yeah, timing that's far off can cause it to not rev.

Last, have you tried running it without the air cleaner hooked up to the carb? There might be an obstruction inside the filter housing or in the tube itself. With the tube off the intake of the carb, look inside the carb throat and see if the butterfly is moving when you actuate the throttle.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:55 am

Don McCombs wrote:Lube all pivot points in the throttle/governor/carburetor linkage system. Then work them each back and forth with the engine off. You may have to disconnect some of the linkage to do this. Check for a broken external governor spring.
Spray solvent where the shaft to the carb linkage exits the governor. Then gently work the shaft back and forth, more solvent. Frequently gummed up at that location.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:06 pm

Did one of the pins fall out in the linkage anywhere?

Did it ran ok before you adjusted the linkage?

Have you manually tried to throttle it up at the carburator while it was running?

Doing that you can feel the governor try to override your hand pulling on link arm on the carburator.
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Royalwulff24
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Royalwulff24 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:16 pm

Thank you, I got it. The throttle was sticking and only half open. Thanks again, I never fail to learn something new

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:56 pm

For future reference, it's okay to get off the tractor while it is running to inspect the throttle linkage. Give it a tug and see if it is moving. The tractor should rev up by pulling on the rod. That will prove to you that the engine is capable of higher RPMs, and it's not something like the carburetor or distributor that is causing the issue.

Obviously make sure it's not in gear and there are no curious hands around that might somehow slip it into gear.

Stoffregen Motorsports
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Stoffregen Motorsports » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:34 am

Royalwulff24 wrote:Thank you, I got it. The throttle was sticking and only half open. Thanks again, I never fail to learn something new

Nice work.

Curious - where was it sticking?