This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

52 cub problem and fix

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
52DAVE
Zip Code: 49401

52 cub problem and fix

Postby 52DAVE » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:04 am

Hello every one I'm Dave and live in West Mich. I used a supper A my dad had in my garden for almost 20 yrs. After my parents both past my son in law bought the A at the auction and I have been spending 2 hr. with a tiller every time I need to work the garden. I looked for a A with cultivators for a few yrs. but found nothing close by that I could afford. Late last summer I found and bought a 52 cub. It looked like little used very nice original cub with cultivators, draw bar and swinging draw bar. It was running but not running well. I hoped all it needed was a tuneup but that was not the case. To make a long story short although the tractor was very little used it needed a total overhaul. The cylinder walls were 10 thousands out of round, rod bearings worn through the wear layer, the thrust bearings 3/4 worn out and the crank journals were scratched. I have a neighbor who is retired from being the head mechanic for one of the largest farmers in Mich. He told me the reason for the excessive ware on engine parts is because over time condensation in the engine combines with the additives in the oil and becomes a fine abrasive . That if a motor is not run long enough and often enough to really warm up and get rid of the condensation it will ware out those parts.
When checking the motor out before deciding to tear it apart I found out that the governor linkage was sticking It only took a small bump to release it. When it released the motor would sputter and kill. I believe that that is the reason the tractor has been used so little. Whoever had it when the linkage started sticking misdiagnosed the problem and messed with all the governor adjustments.
Now that it's back together and running very well with more power than it ever had before I'm looking forward to using it this coming summer.
Those of you who have multiple tractors that don't get used much you may want to change oil from time to time if you don't already.

phill_mi
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 49435
Tractors Owned: '47 Ford 2N (with '50 8N motor)
'48 Farmall Cub
C22 sickle
'52 Ferguson TO-30
'63 Farmall 560 gas with loader
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 52 cub problem and fix

Postby phill_mi » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:11 am

Hi Dave; I am just around the corner from you, nearer to Marne. I have a similar story for my 48' cub, but it sounds like you have been more productive in getting yours ready for spring. I got my machined parts back from the machinist and have not made much progress yet toward re-assembly of the Cub. But I did get my 560 running this last week, after a long down-period. I hope to do a little carb work on the 560 today. I tried to send you a PM, but it looks like you need to post a few more messages before you can receive PMs. And if you post another message you will have access to the library of manuals, which is very helpful. Welcome to the forum and post some pictures. Phill

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:20 am

Dave, Welcome to the forum.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:27 am

Dave, welcome aboard from down by Niles!!
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:13 am

Welcome Dave.
Congrats on the Cub and your progress with it.

I suspect detergent oil added to long run on nondetergent oil crankcases has helped up the erosion speed on some engines too.

I'm around 300 minutes North of your area in a Cubs third gear top end.

52DAVE
Zip Code: 49401

Postby 52DAVE » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:31 pm

I have a friend whose son went to school to be a diesel mechanic. He has been working as a tractor and farm machinery mechanic for 20+ yrs. He did most of the rebuild as a side job. I like mechanical work but it's been a long time since I have done much and I wanted it done right.