This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Radiator Replacement: What's the Consensus

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Stoffregen Motorsports
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 95614

Re: Radiator Replacement: What's the Consensus

Postby Stoffregen Motorsports » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:24 pm

Joeandmack wrote:Searching Amazon they have a “Prime” option for $173 manufactured in Turkey for Complete Tractor. On complete tractor’s site they have it listed $166. Both Amazon prime and complete tractor have free shipping. The two written reviews (one on each site) are contrary, take that as you will, it’s either good and made to original specs (like everyone is claiming…) or needs to be gerry rigged. The dimensions on cross checked on both websites seem odd. Core height 13, overall height 16…Free returns with Amazon prime however so if it’s wrong your not out much just time. Complete tractor has a return policy that seems straight forward, but has multiple steps. I called JP tractor salvage, he claimed to sell about 20 a month, a didn’t get calls back about figment issues. I can’t remember the price think it was under $200 but more than the Amazon options. He didn’t say the manufacturer. I am Saving up to buy one while I try to fix my old one, in case i am unable to. A radiator is what every wife wants for Christmas for her husbands tractor eh?

Last month I installed a cheap Amazon radiator in my Cub and I did have a lot of fitment problems.

First was the bolt holes where it fastens to the lower tank. About two of them lined up. The rest had to be oversized and/or slotted.

Second was the side brackets on the radiator. There aren't any on the OEM Cub radiator, instead, there are two removable brackets that bolt down with the radiator. The side brackets on the Amazon radiator interfered with the original brackets so I cut the new radiator to fit with the original brackets.

Third is still confusing to me. I didn't think the radiator was taller than the original unit, but the new one does hit the hood. It may be that the upper tank shape is such that the corners are not rounded enough. In either case, the upper tank hits the hood, keeping it from being bolted down in front.

Last was the "tilt" of the radiator. The flange on the core must not have been positioned perfectly straight, because the radiator has a slight forward tilt to it. I muscled it around after it was bolted down and got it to fit better, but otherwise, the filler neck wasn't going to fit inside the hole in the hood.

Would I buy one again? Heck no. I'd bring my original to a radiator shop and have them recore it. I normally go this route anyway, but the price of the Amazon radiator was too alluring. Lesson learned.

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby indy61 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:00 pm

I'm sure there are fitment issues with aftermarket radiators but one thing to consider is has the tractor had a front collision or tip over in it's past.
That can really screw up fitment. I would think auto body shops have to deal with this. If measurements are correct than something else needs to be adjusted.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:38 pm

from the factory radiator height was different for a round hood to square hood, do not see where aftermarket radiators make any consideration for this
the square had a different top tank to make it taller

Stoffregen Motorsports
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 95614

Postby Stoffregen Motorsports » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:59 pm

tst wrote:from the factory radiator height was different for a round hood to square hood, do not see where aftermarket radiators make any consideration for this
the square had a different top tank to make it taller

Well that makes sense. I bet the part was designed after the later Cub, but Amazon just sells it without any vetting. Oh wait, that's exactly what they do with everything on the site.

Joeandmack
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 03303
Tractors Owned: 58 Cub

Postby Joeandmack » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:01 pm

Someone with a good ruler and both square nose and round nose cubs should measure their radiators to compare. I measured my round nose cub today and found the following measurements for the radiator size. For the core 14 inches tall 11 3/4 inches wide and 2 1/4 inches deep. For the tank 12 inches wide 3 3/4 inches tall and 3 1/8 inch deep. for the neck 1 inch from top to tank. I question these measurements a little bit though because another time I measured the entire height to be 17 1/2 inches tall. This is for a radiators numbers are 352903R91 L75. The measurements may be off might be useful to have other people compare. It might be wise to buy an online radiator with a easy return policy and quickly measure it with your old one that you know is good before installing.

kcool56
Zip Code: 47905

Postby kcool56 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:10 pm

Bought mine from Steiner last month, with coupon they had online at the time it was just over $200. It was shipped from Northern Radiator and the label said made in Turkey. Nicely built brass construction, fit perfect.

Joeandmack
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 03303
Tractors Owned: 58 Cub

Postby Joeandmack » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:56 pm

kcool56 wrote:Bought mine from Steiner last month, with coupon they had online at the time it was just over $200. It was shipped from Northern Radiator and the label said made in Turkey. Nicely built brass construction, fit perfect.

Appreciate the report kcool56, What style cub did it fit?