This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1972 IH Cub No Power

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Blove215
Zip Code: 30120

1972 IH Cub No Power

Postby Blove215 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:35 pm

I apologize in advance if I am in the wrong place. I an new to the forum and needing some advice about this tractor I am working on. It was in desperate need of attention so I replaced Points, plugs, condenser, wires, distributor cap, rotor button, plugs, carburetor, coil, etc... Now the tractor starts up and purrs like a kitten until you try to rev it up or ask it for power. It will rev up if done very slowly, but will go dead at the drop of a hat if you rev it fast or run hydraulics or try to move it. Any suggestions on what need adjusted?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 1972 IH Cub No Power

Postby Eugene » Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:11 pm

Welcome.

Compression tests first, then valve tappet adjustment, and ignition timing.

The compression tests will tell you the engine condition.

What is the tractor history?
I have an excuse. CRS.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:26 pm

Welcome Blove215, to the greatest Cub website on the planet!! :hattip:
Eugene has you covered here. The symptoms you've described could be caused by low compression or an out of time condition.
Do a compression test to see what is the condition of your engine. If your numbers are low, adjust the valves (removing the carburetor first makes it easier to do). If the valves are correctly adjusted, then check the ignition timing. After adjusting the valves, it would be a good idea to do the compression test again. It will tell you the condition of your cylinder bores and rings.
If you don't have an owners or service manual of your own, there are manuals located at the top of this page (I'm not sure but you my need to have a second post to access them).
If you more questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Last edited by ricky racer on Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:10 pm

Welcome to the Forum!

When you get things straightened out, take some time and read through a few threads to acquaint yourself with the Forum:

After you’ve logged your 2nd post on the Forum, you'll have access to the all the PDF Manuals on this site. There’s a few ways to do that:
  • From a desktop or laptop, go to "Quick Links" in the upper left corner of your screen. Hit that and a pull-down appears where you'll find "PDF Manuals".
  • You can also go to “Cub Info” in the upper toolbar, then hit “Rudi’s Manuals”. From there, you can access a variety of information.
  • If you're using a phone, go to the "Links Directory" (second category down the main page). Once in "Links Directory" , scroll down to the second section "Tractor Parts & Manuals" and you'll find them there.

You'll be able to download an Owner's Manual (very strongly recommended for maintenance and understanding your Cub) and any service manuals that interest you. Implement Manuals are also available.

There are a lot of good threads dealing with Cub repair and maintenance in the How To Forum. Located here: How To Forum

Speaking of Cub repair, one of the best places to learn about and repair your Cub is at a CubFest. These are annual gatherings around the country where Cub owners attend to meet other Cubbers, learn about Cub repair, and enjoy great food. The CubFest calendar and some more info about what a CubFest is all about is located here: CubFest and Tractor Show Announcements

We’d encourage you to take the Safety Test located in the Safety Forum: Circle of Safety Test and Profile Badge

Take some pictures of your tractor and post them, we’d like to see it.

Remember:
  • Pictures are limited to 500 KB file size. Use an image reducer app or program to downsize pics.
  • When you have a specific question, start a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum.
  • Before posting, use the Preview button before hitting Submit--it'll show you exactly what your post will look like, including pictures.
  • When adding your comments to a thread, be sure to look at the date of the last poster. If it’s more than a 6 months old, the posters are probably not going to see it. Consider starting a new thread.

Glad you joined us.

:tractor:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:32 am

My question is, what did it run like before you did these things? If this is a new condition that did not exist before, i’d be suspicious of the new carb. I think it does not want to rev because of a lean condition. There have been plenty issues with the recent off shore carbs. Also, make sure you didn’t cause a vacuum leak while installing it. Other items, as mentioned above, are important step, as well, so welcome to the forum and have fun with your Cub.

Blove215
Zip Code: 30120

Postby Blove215 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:47 am

The tractor belongs to a friend, his father bought it new in 1972. I don't feel like it was ever abused but when he ask me to work on it it stopped running and it was in major need of some TLC. I did pull the distributor to clean it up and replace everything in it. When I reinstalled it it seems to be in the right place as far as the gears. It fires up and idles great, and I have good travel in both directions for timing adjustments. As far as the new carb I have questioned it as well. The original carb was very distorted between the upper and lower half. Didn't feel like it would ever seal again.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:59 am

There are jigs that you can make (or borrow!) for flattening the carburetor.

http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=139&t=95455

It's quite easy, plus there are many kits available (such as from McDonald Carbs) for rebuild.

https://www.mcdonaldcarb.com/

A search in the HOW TO section should offer more help.
Last edited by Dale Finch on Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:14 am

Tell us about the new carburetor.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Bigwally30
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 98686

Postby Bigwally30 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:43 pm

Have you tried cleaning the main jet in the carb? This has saved me a few times. This is an easy fix. Just pull the jet holder and blow out.

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:28 pm

Blove215 wrote:I apologize in advance if I am in the wrong place. I an new to the forum and needing some advice about this tractor I am working on. It was in desperate need of attention so I replaced Points, plugs, condenser, wires, distributor cap, rotor button, plugs, carburetor, coil, etc... Now the tractor starts up and purrs like a kitten until you try to rev it up or ask it for power. It will rev up if done very slowly, but will go dead at the drop of a hat if you rev it fast or run hydraulics or try to move it. Any suggestions on what need adjusted?

Make double sure you have the plug wires in the correct order. They will run on 2 cylinders and have little power if they aren't right. Don't ask how I know :lol:
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:34 pm

is the advance working on the distributor ?

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:53 am

This may seem like a stupid question, but how does it sound when it's running? Singer sewing machine, or Harley Davidson?

These tractors can start easily and idle all day on 2 cylinders. If you're not aware of what they should sound like, you can mistakenly think that everything is hunky-dory until you try to do anything. I call it the "Johnny Popper Fallacy."