This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

steering shaft seal retainer

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Lomiller
Zip Code: 15757

steering shaft seal retainer

Postby Lomiller » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:25 pm

:help: Greetings everyone.
I have started the rebuild of a 1948 farmall cub and have hit my first snag. When i picked up the tractor it had been sitting outside for a couple of years, the steering wheel and front wheels would not turn. I Figured it would be an easy fix but that has proven not to be the case.
I pulled shaft and wheel from the steering housing, jacked up front end and the wheels turn left/ right freely. Put the steering shaft back in and it won't move.
My first thought is to replace the steering shaft seal retainer and work my way down.
Thoughts, suggestions, corrective action? This is my first attempt at a rebuild so any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: steering shaft seal retainer

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:50 pm

The thickness of the seal retainer gasket is critical. Too thin and it can bind up the mechanism. Install the retainer loosely and see if it will turn.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/st/458fp.htm
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:53 pm

That steering shaft seal retainer, as far as I know, seldom malfunctions...only the seal & gasket generally need replacement.

Check to make sure you still have the lower thrust washer in place (#7 in the link below)...thick brass washer just below the worm gear on the shaft. It may have fallen off into the steering housing during an earlier shaft removal. Unfortunately, if it is missing, since it is brass, you can't fish it out with a magnet!! You'll need to dig around to fish it out! :roll:

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/st/985fp.htm
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:12 pm

early steering shafts may not have the bronze thick washer on them but a steel thick washer pressed on the shaft, also another above the worm gear