This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

A puzzling problem

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: A puzzling problem

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:19 pm

A repurposed lawnmower fuel tank makes a good pony tank.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:27 pm

before blaming the carb make sure your points are gapped correctly and in good shape

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:28 pm

My version…

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

DRaymond
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 99223
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub 13747 "Marie"
1948 FCub 16109 "Lizzie"
1948 FCub 44181 "Gussie"
Cub-54A Leveling & Grader Blade
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-193 Moldboard Plow

Postby DRaymond » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:13 pm

I had a similar head scratcher and after 25 hours of trouble shooting solved my mystery. After putting 11.4 hours of trouble-free running post restoration of my 48 Cub I drove "Marie" to the garage/shop entrance and shut down in preparation for adjusting the high RPM limit on the Governor (it was maxing out at 750-950 RPM). I restarted the engine which quickly slowed down and died after about 3 to 5 seconds. Tried many restarts after tinkering with the carb but the tractor continued to die after 3-5 seconds. The engine would just slow down its idle until it died each time. Fuel, fire, and air - If Ok it should run. It displayed all the symtoms of fuel starvation. I dipped the fuel tank and it showed about 6.5 gallons of 2 month old alcohol free gasoline. Fuel would come out of the Carb bowl when I removed the bowl plug and it was not leaking or flooding and the linkages to it were free. Fuel flow was about 0.3 gal/min at the carb. I had spark at the plugs, and the induction system was clean and clear. I Removed the carburator and checked the float level, and needle and seat action both of which were OK and in limits. I swapped out the Carb with a new one, and still the same problem. I filed and re-gapped the points and checked the timing of the mag and still the same problem. The Tractor restoration included the cleaning and installation of an IH carb kit as well as the cleaning, gapping, and replacement of the points, condensor and coil in the J-4 Magneto. THE FIX!!! I replaced the condensor and points in the magneto (only had 11.4 hours on them) with a new set and it cured the problem. Tractor fired right up, purred like a kitten and completed a 2-mile test run without a hick-up! I found out that a bad condensor can display these symptoms. Good luck.
DT Raymond
Spokane, WA
48 FCUB - Marie
48 FCUB - Lissie
48 FCUB - Gussie
Cub-193 Moldboard Plow
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-54 Leveling & Grader Blade

PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 32312
Tractors Owned: 1975 International Cub

Postby PFord » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:20 pm

DRaymond wrote:I had a similar head scratcher and after 25 hours of trouble shooting solved my mystery. After putting 11.4 hours of trouble-free running post restoration of my 48 Cub I drove "Marie" to the garage/shop entrance and shut down in preparation for adjusting the high RPM limit on the Governor (it was maxing out at 750-950 RPM). I restarted the engine which quickly slowed down and died after about 3 to 5 seconds. Tried many restarts after tinkering with the carb but the tractor continued to die after 3-5 seconds. The engine would just slow down its idle until it died each time. Fuel, fire, and air - If Ok it should run. It displayed all the symtoms of fuel starvation. I dipped the fuel tank and it showed about 6.5 gallons of 2 month old alcohol free gasoline. Fuel would come out of the Carb bowl when I removed the bowl plug and it was not leaking or flooding and the linkages to it were free. Fuel flow was about 0.3 gal/min at the carb. I had spark at the plugs, and the induction system was clean and clear. I Removed the carburator and checked the float level, and needle and seat action both of which were OK and in limits. I swapped out the Carb with a new one, and still the same problem. I filed and re-gapped the points and checked the timing of the mag and still the same problem. The Tractor restoration included the cleaning and installation of an IH carb kit as well as the cleaning, gapping, and replacement of the points, condensor and coil in the J-4 Magneto. THE FIX!!! I replaced the condensor and points in the magneto (only had 11.4 hours on them) with a new set and it cured the problem. Tractor fired right up, purred like a kitten and completed a 2-mile test run without a hick-up! I found out that a bad condensor can display these symptoms. Good luck.

Welp, that was a long read but WELL worth it!

I've got some parts and tools on the way. I'll deal with those and then try things out. If I don't get a fix with them, I'll get a distributor rebuild kit. However, I'm thinking if your points were bad, a spark plug tester should show that up as very weak spark on one or more cylinders. I can run to the parts store and pick one of those up tomorrow and give it a shot.

PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby PFord » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:21 pm

staninlowerAL wrote:A repurposed lawnmower fuel tank makes a good pony tank.

Thank you!

PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby PFord » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:21 pm

tst wrote:before blaming the carb make sure your points are gapped correctly and in good shape

Yep, I'll need to check them.

PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby PFord » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:22 pm

Don McCombs wrote:My version…

That's AMAZING!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:43 pm

If I recall correctly, it was from a snowblower.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:17 am

I have a pony tank from a snowblower that is attached to a 2X4 with a hole in it so I can bolt it to one of the implement mount pads on the clutch housing.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:12 am

Try some simple things first. Have you done a fuel flow test through the carb? Have you checked the carb. main jet for plugging? I suspect you have a Zenith carb. if so, the main jet is behind the brass plug, bottom rear of the carb. That plug is where you need to do your flow test at. If all is well there, move on to the points and condenser. Misadjusted points can very definitely cause different behavior on different cylinders and you would be amazed at all the weird thing a bad condenser can cause. New one fail more often than old ones. You may have an intake manifold gasket leaking but we seldom see that. It can’t hurt to pull it off for a look, though.

PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby PFord » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:35 am

Gary Dotson wrote:Try some simple things first. Have you done a fuel flow test through the carb? Have you checked the carb. main jet for plugging? I suspect you have a Zenith carb. if so, the main jet is behind the brass plug, bottom rear of the carb. That plug is where you need to do your flow test at. If all is well there, move on to the points and condenser. Misadjusted points can very definitely cause different behavior on different cylinders and you would be amazed at all the weird thing a bad condenser can cause. New one fail more often than old ones. You may have an intake manifold gasket leaking but we seldom see that. It can’t hurt to pull it off for a look, though.

I have not timed the fuel flow through the carb, though I know I am getting flow. I'll try to test it soon. I don't have a Zenith. And yes, I've pulled the main jet and cleaned it thoroughly.

I'll have to try to get into the distributor this week or weekend to have a look around. Wouldn't hurt to get a kit and replace everything n there. My gaskets have been ordered and are on the way. Now that I know I can get them easily and cheaply, that takes a load off my mind.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:44 am

did you adjust the adjust the valves. you have good compression but still the difference burn between the is something.

since people brought up points I have had problems with various ignition parts from the various tractor parts sites and have started using napa ignition parts.

again since there is a difference between the cylinders did you replace the spark plug wires?
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby PFord » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:10 am

inairam wrote:did you adjust the adjust the valves. you have good compression but still the difference burn between the is something.

since people brought up points I have had problems with various ignition parts from the various tractor parts sites and have started using napa ignition parts.

again since there is a difference between the cylinders did you replace the spark plug wires?

I have not touched the valves, and I have not replaced the plug wires. My thought on the plug wires would I would expect ONE of them to go bad maybe. But the symptoms I'm seeing don't seem to follow plug wires. Cylinders 3 and 4 seem to be operating "as expected". Meaning I am running at nearly full choke and they are fouling. It's 1/2 that are the mystery. If the plug wires were bad (or even if there was an issue in the distributor) I wouldn't expect 1/2 to run lean on full choke.

PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby PFord » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:39 pm

While I wait for parts to come in, I changed the screen at the sediment bowl, and put on a new gasket. The screen was dirty, but not blocked. I'd say maybe 1/4 to 1/3 restricted. For grins I looked in each cylinder but didn't see anything I didn't expect to see. I also changed the oil filter since I had one and it's never easier to do than now. There was no gasket on the lid. Not sure why. I put a new one on there.

I'll pull the carb this weekend and see what I can see. I don't have a rebuild kit, so I may just split it and put it in the ultrasonic for a while, then reassemble. I do have the gasket set coming and it includes the one that goes between the two carb halves. Maybe I'll get lucky.