This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Adjusted the fuel/air screw now tractor won't start

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 32312
Tractors Owned: 1975 International Cub

Re: Adjusted the fuel/air screw now tractor won't start

Postby PFord » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:31 pm

RedFred wrote::shock: I checked the coolant level and it seems low i'm hoping the coolant was always like that.

Have you pulled the oil dipstick? What does it look like? If it's starting to look like milk chocolate, you have your answer of where the coolant is going.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:46 pm

Did you keep track of how much you turned the mixture screw? If so, try putting it back where it was. If the problem goes away, you will know it has something to do with what you changed. Otherwise, that it happened now is probably a coincidence.

RedFred
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub with 22 sickle mower,Grader blade with brackets for snow plow, Swaying draw bar,193 moldboard plow and a spring tooth field cultivator.

Postby RedFred » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:06 pm

I have the screw 1 1/2 turns out and the oil is black because the oil was last changed a year ago.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:55 pm

Hi,
I would turn the idle mixture adjustment screw to where it was before, if it ran ok.
The new replacement foreign made IH style carbs might need a different setting than the IH carb.
The approximately 1 - 1 1/2 turn open is for the original IH carbs. :)

RedFred
Cub Star
Cub Star
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub with 22 sickle mower,Grader blade with brackets for snow plow, Swaying draw bar,193 moldboard plow and a spring tooth field cultivator.

Postby RedFred » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:00 pm

ok ill try that but I forgot where it was before

RedFred
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby RedFred » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:23 pm

I just did some reading online and it was for cars,motorcycles or just any vehicle and it says most brands tend to have 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 turns out and my carb is an after market so i'm going to try 2 or 2 1/2 because the way it was before the screw was out further then i have it now.

RedFred
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby RedFred » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:14 pm

The oil is fine and the coolant was not low i just needed more light and I'm going to turn the screw 2 1/2 turns out tomorrow and see what happens fingers crossed.

RedFred
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby RedFred » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:13 am

I just adjusted the screw to 2 1/2 turns out and the tractor sounded like it wanted to start on the second go then the battery died just hooked it up to the charger now and there was no smoke this time.

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:41 am

RedFred wrote::shock: I checked the coolant level and it seems low i'm hoping the coolant was always like that.

A Cub will seem low compared to many other radiators. Three inches from the top can be too full sometimes.

Did you reverse the adjustment to the screw setting you changed?
Have you inspected spark plugs for condition and proper gap?

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:53 am

So did the tractor start and run? You said, "there was no smoke this time."

Anything above the fins in the radiator is "full" on a Cub. If you fill it to the top, it will just "boil over" and make you freak out that the tractor is overheating. Then you get into the vicious cycle of refilling and "boiling over" when you just needed to leave it alone. You can see the level by shining a light in and looking at an angle.

Ultimately the carburetor settings need to be what they need to be. There's no one set setting that's perfect for every one. 1-1/2 is a starting point. Some need more some need less.

RedFred
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby RedFred » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:13 pm

It tried to it popped and sputtered then died then the battery was dead.

RedFred
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby RedFred » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:50 pm

I readjusted the screw and she runs like she did before the adjustment but after awhile of running her when i bring her to full throttle white smoke comes out the disappears after half a second shut her off she started again but now the starter sound funny and is acting up sometimes doesn't turn over or engages with a funny noise.

RedFred
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby RedFred » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:12 pm

I re adjusted the screw and she runs like she did before the adjustment but after awhile of running her when i bring her to full throttle white smoke comes out the disappears after half a second shut her off she started again but now the starter sounds funny and is acting up sometimes doesn't turn over or engages with a funny noise but any ways thank you for all your help :thanx:

RedFred
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby RedFred » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:29 pm

I re adjusted the screw and she runs like she did before the adjustment but after awhile of running her when i bring her to full throttle white smoke comes out the disappears after half a second shut her off she started again but now the starter sounds funny and is acting up sometimes doesn't turn over or engages with a funny noise but any ways thank you for all your help :thanx:

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:38 am

I wonder if the carb has the vent tube broken off inside the carb. We don't know, but this also might be an aftermarket carb that needs the hole drilled.
I'd also check the float level. The cub has a very specific float level requirement.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade