This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

The plaque on Cub 501 at RPRU

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: The plaque on Cub 501 at RPRU

Postby Super A » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:12 am

Don McCombs wrote:The plaque is a somewhat inaccurate reproduction of the original. The current owner states that the original plaque was retained by the most previous owner. All of the visible casting codes are Q.

That would help explain it. Do you know of any significance of that 1946 date or was it maybe a “misprint?”

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:48 am

"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:07 am

That makes more sense! I remember this thread.

Thanks,
Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:31 am

I wonder what happened to gsperry.

His last time logged on was a long time ago.
Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:20 pm!

Not that I would get all fuzzy inside about #501 Cub, but his story was interesting!

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:12 am

Would someone mention to the current owners of the two 501 cubs that there will be a Cub/Cub Cadet show in Pinckneyville, IL September 16-17.

Also, if my Farmall Cub history is correct, IH postponed FCUB production because of WWII. As soon as the war was over, IH started production and actually had tractors rolling on the ground in 1946. Because it was late in the year, IH decided to release the FCUb for model year 1947.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

allencreekfonz
Zip Code: 53538

Postby allencreekfonz » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:20 pm

[quote="Super A"]#501 is at Red Power! It’s been restored, and there’s a plaque on the hood describing how IH presented it to IH engineer L.B. Speedy. I don’t know if it’s the original plaque or not, but the date on the plaque is May 1, 1946. What is the significance of that date? Not trying to be a “hater” just wondering!

(Photos from FB)

Thanks!
Al

This plaque is a reproduction! The original owners family wanted to keep the plaque! So the miss spelling of Harvester to Harvestor was a typo on our end! We will get a new plaque made :). The 1946 date is when IH designed & engineered the cub for sales! The 1947 date is when Speedy retired & IH presented him with #501

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Postby CapeCodCubs » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:45 am

This is a terrific thread Al and you got the answers.

Allen Creek Farm...were you able to see the original plaque? Glad you were able to get it back together and buttoned up in time for the show. A couple of questions I had were what is the original paint code and ...what are the tires...makes and sizes and were they original to the year. Nice job

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:15 am

CapeCodCubs wrote:This is a terrific thread Al and you got the answers.

Allen Creek Farm...were you able to see the original plaque? Glad you were able to get it back together and buttoned up in time for the show. A couple of questions I had were what is the original paint code and ...what are the tires...makes and sizes and were they original to the year. Nice job

In the pic at the factory it has Firestone Champion Ground Grips aka “turkey track” tires on the rear.

Al

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Postby CapeCodCubs » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:47 pm

Super A wrote:
CapeCodCubs wrote:This is a terrific thread Al and you got the answers.

In the pic at the factory it has Firestone Champion Ground Grips aka “turkey track” tires on the rear.

Al
But still wondering about the paint code? :thanx:

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby indy61 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:08 pm

Would have been nice to see 501 before it was restored. Even old photos. The reproduction plaque is an insult to the intelligence of the man who helped design the Cub.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:06 pm

I would think that everyone should be happy to see 501 exists ,it has had a hard life through many owners and has been restored before, the plaque was kept by the family which I can understand the family wanting to keep them, and the current owner restored the tractor and reproduced the plaque and brought it out in to the public eye so everyone could enjoy seeing and know that it exists yet, I do not understand why all the negative and petty comments about it !

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:47 am

tst wrote:I would think that everyone should be happy to see 501 exists ,it has had a hard life through many owners and has been restored before, the plaque was kept by the family which I can understand the family wanting to keep them, and the current owner restored the tractor and reproduced the plaque and brought it out in to the public eye so everyone could enjoy seeing and know that it exists yet, I do not understand why all the negative and petty comments about it !

:Dito:
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:05 pm

tst wrote:I would think that everyone should be happy to see 501 exists ,it has had a hard life through many owners and has been restored before, the plaque was kept by the family which I can understand the family wanting to keep them, and the current owner restored the tractor and reproduced the plaque and brought it out in to the public eye so everyone could enjoy seeing and know that it exists yet, I do not understand why all the negative and petty comments about it !

Agree 100%, I'm glad it made it to the show. My original question was out of genuine curiosity, not criticism.

In talking to friends that saw it up close, and in looking at photos I've seen online, there are for sure some things about its restoration I would have done differently, but it's not my tractor. Again the important thing is that it has a good home. :D

Al

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:02 pm

The owner was happy we pointed out a few things to them as he would like to correct them and make it right as he can, he has spend time and $$ to get it to this point, it was just assembled a few days before the show as he wanted to get it there for all to see and enjoy, he is not hiding it from everyone as previous owners did, I think it will have a good home now and will be taken care of as it should be

BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39401
Tractors Owned: 1950 Super A
1955 John Deere 60 (sold)
1950 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub l59 woods belly mower (sold)
1951 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub w/ 5' sicklebar (sold)
Tufline 6' disc (old heavy pull type)
1953+ A-295A 2 furrow SlatWing Plow Chief plow (SA)
1950 cub-193 1 furrow SWPC plow (cub) (sold)
6' home made bush hog. Mounts on drawbar

Postby BullDAWG » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:43 pm

Glad to hear that tst, I agree with Al that I would have tried to get it closer to original. But some things are very hard to get 100%. I personally don't restore Farmalls. I use them so I fix what is broke. When replacing those parts I don't care if they are what came on it originally. Like the cotton covered sparkplug wires. I'd rather new copper cored w/ neoprene insulation, but if I found say a demo SA or a 79 Cub I would try to get them back as close as possible to original. Some may agree some disagree. If you don't like it then buy it from them and then you can do as YOU please.
ImageCircle of Safety
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."
"I DON'T believe in a government that protects US from OURSELVES." R. Reagan