This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Bench test floor test Magneto?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
K_Wiz
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 21001
Circle of Safety: Y

Bench test floor test Magneto?

Postby K_Wiz » Mon May 30, 2022 3:18 pm

In a dark room would this be a good way to check that the magneto is producing spark? Would a good spark be blue, orange or white? My points are set at 0.013. Just making sure so I don’t mess up a coil.
26277B2F-9B67-421A-9DF5-EAAC55872B76.jpeg
26277B2F-9B67-421A-9DF5-EAAC55872B76.jpeg (77.97 KiB) Viewed 337 times

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Re: Bench test floor test Magneto?

Postby Stanton » Mon May 30, 2022 4:07 pm

Believe it should be a strong blue to white spark. By strong, I mean the spark should “jump” a 3/16” - 1/4” gap.

Do a search on here using “blue spark” or “white spark”. Pay particular attention to Rick Spivey’s posts. Always have a ground for the spark to go. Don’t snap the coupling without someplace for the spark to go.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon May 30, 2022 5:08 pm

No. This is not a good way to test it. If the impulse coupling is working properly, it will stop the magneto rotor (including that nut on the end of it) from rotating until the impulse winds up and releases. Trying to turn the nut directly will just be pushing against the stop of the impulse coupling. The right way to turn it is to rotate the outer part of the coupling (the 2 drive lugs). Wind it up a half turn until it releases. When that happens, it should throw a spark a quarter inch or so. It should be blue and bright enough to see in fairly normal light conditions. If you want to test using that spark plug, open the gap up.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon May 30, 2022 6:15 pm

Hi,
My opinion is that you shouldn't have anything connected to the small post on the side of the magneto, for the test, it is for shutting off the engine.
The 1 post ignition switch has 1 wire that goes to the magneto post, it grounds the magneto to stop the engine.

I can't see where the wire from the coil post on the magneto is going in the pic.
It should go to the top of the spark plug.

You should connect a wire with clips to the bottom area of the spark plug, where the place for the wrench is, and the other end of the wire to the case of the magneto, by the mounting area.
That grounds the spark to the magneto.

The spark should be blue or white. Yellow is weak and needs improving, the engine may not run with a yellow spark, they have said on here. :)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon May 30, 2022 7:54 pm

Glen wrote:Hi,
My opinion is that you shouldn't have anything connected to the small post on the side of the magneto,

I didn't notice that. I thought that clamp was on the housing of the magneto.

K_Wiz
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 21001

Postby K_Wiz » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:25 am

Thank you! I finally got to the grainery where my cub is parked. I put the magneto back on. Cap wires and plugs touching a ground. Yes, I got a good white blue spark. Thanks again!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:36 pm

That is not a good idea. You need to turn the magneto using the ears on the advance, not the nut in the center. Using the ears it winds the spring, then the shell holding the spring pushes the dogs off the stop pin at the right point for the spring to spin the magneto shaft and produce a spark. Turning the nut forces the dogs past the stop pin by brute force until you get to a high enough speed for them to retract. You can do serious damage this way. In addition I would strongly suggest a drill, not an impact wrench.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!