This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Magneto timing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
5 Forward
Zip Code: 35150
Tractors Owned: Ford 600 1955
Farmall Cub 1957
Farmall Cub 1948

Magneto timing

Postby 5 Forward » Thu May 19, 2022 7:36 pm

My tractor is running very well. The magneto is a Fairbanks Morse. I went through the top dead center and all the timing procedures. To check this, I turn the engine over with the hand crank watching for a spark on number 1 sparkplug. The sparkplug is grounded to the manifold. The magneto trips just short of the TDC mark on the crankshaft pulley in crankshaft rotation probably 2 to 3 degrees. My question is, when I use a timing light, the timing light fires probably 30 degrees prior to number one TDC. What am I missing? Is this something inherit to the magneto? Did I install it incorrectly and just lucky it runs?

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Magneto timing

Postby Bill V in Md » Thu May 19, 2022 9:42 pm

The IH J4 magneto fires at TDC at cranking speed. At running speed it fires at 13 degrees before TDC. Maybe the Fairbanks Morse magneto is set up with a different advance, but I wouldn’t think the advance would deviate that much. Are you running the timing light from a 12v power source?
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu May 19, 2022 10:03 pm

I am not familiar the the FM magnetos, but the bigger tractors such as the M did use a 30 degree advance as I recall. The magneto you have was probably for one of them. ON the IH H4 mag, the amount of advance was controlled by the plate on the end that tripped the advance
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Thu May 19, 2022 11:23 pm

That difference (30 in your case, 13 in a J-4) is known as "lag angle". Many F-M, Wico, etc. magnetos have an adjustable lag angle. Check into the method for your specific model magneto and set it to 13 degrees.