This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sickle bar drive end play

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
K_Wiz
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 21001
Circle of Safety: Y

Sickle bar drive end play

Postby K_Wiz » Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:35 am

0CCDC856-9218-41F7-9E2A-7ACB790CF0B8.jpeg
Drive Shaft

How much end play (thrust play) should there be. I remember reading about noise and vibration if there is to much. My plan is to mount to the tractor and make sure the pulleys are aligned to determine how many and what thickness of washers/spacers (there is a specific term that I can’t think of) should be on each end.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Re: Sickle bar drive end play

Postby tmays » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:09 am

If I’m not mistaken, the parts manual gives a breakdown of the number and sizes of washers needed. There are several places that need checked for vibration issues. Bearing in each end of driveshaft. Pin holes need check for wear, especially the large pin. Loose bolts, especially the mounting bolts on torque tube. I’m sure others will chime in with other areas
Thomas

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Sickle bar drive end play

Postby Glen » Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:55 pm

Hi,
I make the end play so there is very little, but the shaft turns freely.
The more end play, the more noise it makes, moving forward and back.

There should be washers at the front and rear, to help keep from wearing the ends of the tube.

If you can find washers the right thickness, you can bore out the center of them with a lathe, if needed.

If the front bracket has tapers around the bolt holes that hold it to the clutch housing, it is supposed to use the IH tapered head bolts to hold it on. They are needed because of the shaking.
Below is a listing at TM Tractor for the bolts.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/gb/324fp.htm

The rear bracket may have 1 tapered hole.
This is the bolt for the rear bracket. The drawbar is supposed to be on the Cub too, except on the first mowers, I think.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/sp/445fp.htm

Keep the mounting bolts tight, check them during use of the mower, if they work loose, it can wear the threads in the cast iron holes.

There should be no side to side movement of the shaft in the front and rear bushings.
The bushings can be replaced if worn. :)

Return to “Farmall Cub”