This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

starter troubles

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
CharlieK
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40165

Re: starter troubles

Postby CharlieK » Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:50 am

Glen wrote:Hi,
Usually only one side of the starter ring gear on the flywheel is made with the corner of the teeth ground off.
So if you turn the gear around and use it again, it's better to grind each tooth so it has the correct angle, so the starter will engage better.

Below are pics from TM Tractor of a Delco, 6 volt, Cub starter.
The first few years of Cubs used starter model number 1109603. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/gel/crank6v_001.htm

:tractor:

same starter goes on my 55 chevy pu.......... :hattip:
get er done; life is good

69ranger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 67357
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub, 1952 Cub, 1953 Cub, 1946 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall M, 1956 IH 130, 1979 IH 140, 1959 Farmall 240.
Several Brand X Green tractors that sound strange when they run.
1969 F-100 fully restored, 1969 F 100 original paint, 1973 F 100, 50 K original miles all original, 1978 F250 repainted, 1978 Bronco, 1967 Mustang, 1973 Mach ! Mustang.
Several single cylinder Honda motorcycles from the early 70's. Adding more junk all the time.

Re: starter troubles

Postby 69ranger » Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:06 am

Thank you all for the help. You all are so good to pitch in! I will probably dig into this in a week or so, as things are too busy at home right now. Probably will be no time to work on the tractor this week end, as other things will prevent that.

I see now why the starter was questioned, and look again to make for sure. I was not aware that Chevy trucks used a starter that was so close to the same.
Still think that just for kicks... I will take the one off of one of the others and sick it on the problem child, and see if that helps.
Its a quick test, and sadly about all that I have time for at the moment.

I put a new ring gear on my first cub, a few years ago. Also helped Dad flip the ring gear on his little Farmall B several years ago.
Then we re-profiled the teeth a bit to help the starter engage better, and no more problems.
His had actual bald places in the gear, where 3 or 4 teeth were worn short.

Weird that I dont remember this one have any missing or even really worn teeth.

Bob,
Thanks so much for the offer.
I am looking forward to meeting some of you all at the NEO Cub fest, in a couple weeks. I will bring something with me, but dont want to monopolize the time with a big problem project.
Might bring the starter, if I dont get a resolution by then. Hope to get to help out with something you all need when I am there.

Best regards,
Brad