This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Is there 'yellow metal' in the steering assembly?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
phill_mi
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 49435
Tractors Owned: '47 Ford 2N (with '50 8N motor)
'48 Farmall Cub
C22 sickle
'52 Ferguson TO-30
'63 Farmall 560 gas with loader
Circle of Safety: Y

Is there 'yellow metal' in the steering assembly?

Postby phill_mi » Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:09 pm

I have a '48 Farmall Cub (based on casting codes). Another active thread pointed out that GL1 gear oil should be used in the transmission and rear drive, due to 'yellow metal' concerns. (And some say that some variants of GL4 and GL5 are acceptable.) I can get GL1 at TSC, as I use it in my '52 TO-30, but I already put the GL5 in the Cub's steering gear box. In looking at the '47, '49' and '76 lubrication charts and the Service Manual it did not seem to me that there are any 'yellow' parts to be concerned about in the steering box. It is easy to change but I am inclined to leave it for now if my impression is correct. I have not taken the steering gear apart yet. Thanks. Phill

JustJim
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 30540

Re: Is there 'yellow metal' in the steering assembly?

Postby JustJim » Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:40 pm

There are two brass or bronze thrust washers on the steering rod and worm gear, or at least there should be as I understand it. My '49 was lacking both of them, and I need to buy replacements or - more likely - turn them out of brass bar I have on hand.

The steering in my 1959 Cub is pretty herky jerky. I wouldn't be surprised to find it is also lacking these. Not sure what interactions with lube are to be concerned about. I will also say that the upper steering housing on my '49 was filled with grease, not gear oil. I suspect that may have been an effort to reduce leaking.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:27 pm

Hi,
There are 2 more bushings in the steering gear.
Below are listings at TM Tractor showing the bushings. They are on the lower, vertical shaft.
It doesn't say what these 2 are made of.
There are pics in the listings showing where the bushings are.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/st/032fp.htm

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/st/1925fp.htm

Here are the 2 washers on the upper shaft, that he talked about above.
If either of them was gone, I think the steering wheel would have lots of free play.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/st/715fp.htm

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/st/985fp.htm
Last edited by Glen on Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

phill_mi
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 49435
Tractors Owned: '47 Ford 2N (with '50 8N motor)
'48 Farmall Cub
C22 sickle
'52 Ferguson TO-30
'63 Farmall 560 gas with loader

Postby phill_mi » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:44 pm

I greatly appreciate the information. I broke my foot yesterday at work, so I probably won't be able to get to the barn to work on these issues for a while. But I will drain the gear oil and replace with GL1 compatible fluid.