This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Oil Filter Canister 48 Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Plywud
Zip Code: 98042

Oil Filter Canister 48 Cub

Postby Plywud » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:29 am

I've had this girl for about a year now, and am finially caught up with the big projects, so wanted to change the oil. Gasket was leaking, so I removed the pan, and the oil at the bottom after draining was pretty dark and thick. The oil filter canister had some sludh dripping out but no oil, filter was dry and clean. The pick up tube screen had some what looks like carbon build up on it, not metal, but pretty hard. The oil pressure gage has always shown around 25 PSI or more, engine is not making the traditional clicking nosies from dry lifters, and there are no metal shavings in the oil itself. Have looked at the oil system model diagram, is it possible for the oil to bypass the filter canister and still lube the piston rings and bearings without going through the filter canister? Read the procedure for priming the pump, which I will do after I get the pan back on and oil installed.

RJ

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Oil Filter Canister 48 Cub

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:33 am

If I am not mistaken only a portion of the oil that circulates goes through the filter. This is typical of tractor engines at the time.

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby indy61 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:49 am

If you're talking about the tube that runs down from the oil filter canister it's common to see them clogged with sludge. Probably from earlier years using non-detergent oil.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:15 pm

The oil filter is at the end of the oil pressure system. Your 25 psi on the gauge is the oil pressure throughout the system.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:44 pm

Make sure you clean and flush (With kerosene) the oil filter case and drain tube with drain plug removed. If you don’t want Kerosene and sludge to wash into crankcase and oil sump, just replace the Oil filter bolt without the cover, before flushing.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60102
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub purchased 1960
'59 International Lo-Boy purchased 1987
'48 Ford 8N family owned since new

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'
Prewitt post hole digger with mounts for Cub and Ford
Grading and leveling blade with snow ext and hydraulic angle

Postby Gary S. » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:50 pm

"engine is not making the traditional clicking nosies from dry lifters" C60 engines have mechanical lifters no oil in them like hydraulic ones

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:36 pm

Hi,
The original oil pressure gauge is on the oil filter housing, if there was no oil pumped into the oil filter area, the oil gauge would show no pressure.

To check it so you can see if oil is being pumped there, you could leave the top off the oil filter, and briefly run the starter. Oil should squirt out of the small hole near the top of the housing, where you prime the oil pump, if needed.
The oil may squirt out and make a mess, you could hold a rag there while the starter is running.
Wear your safety goggles also. Be sure to leave the ignition Off.

Like was said above, Cubs don't have hydraulic valve lifters, the valve lifters sound about the same with no oil pressure.
When there is no oil pressure, and you run the engine, there is soon knocking sounds from the crankshaft bearings, which are low in the engine.
The crankshaft bearings are soon ruined running the engine with no oil pressure.

The oil filter housing drain pipe, under the starter, can get plugged with goop over time, if nobody drains it.
Remove the cap, and if the pipe is plugged, let it sit with the cap off, and the goop may slowly move down and come out. I remember one doing that. :)

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:36 am

It sounds from your description as if the center bolt/tube in the oil filter is clogged solid. The oil would circulate through the engine, since the filter is not in the primary path of the oil. It sort of sits to the side, and oil is filtered somewhat voluntarily as opposed to force filtered. There is a name for this setup but I forget it right now. Clean the bolt well, as well as the filter housing, and start over with a fresh filter. The engine likely was getting properly lubricated, but with somewhat dirtier oil.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:46 am

Rick Spivey wrote: There is a name for this setup but I forget it right now.

I believe the term is 'Bypass Filtration'. My Willys CJ3B has a similar setup.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:30 am

It’s a partial flow filter system. A portion of the oil, from the oil pump, passes into the filter cavity, by way of the passage at the top of the filter opening. It then passes through the filter media to an orifice in the filter bolt, where it drains directly back to the crankcase. It’s very common to find the filter housing empty, when the cover is removed, it’s called gravity. Since the gauge is ported directly into the filter housing, if your gauge shows pressure, oil is being pumped through the filter. What you have is completely normal.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:40 am

From an old post in 2014, I can't remember which "Rick" was the poster......... The diagram is probably from one of the manuals. Stan
Oil pump & flow through engine:
Does anyone know where the picture is of the oil flow through the cub engine? I've searched and looked and can't find it. It's in one of the manuals. My point to the whole topic is to show how the flow "T's" off to fill the oil filter housing. If the filter or passage in the long hold down bolt becomes plugged, no filtering is done to the oil. All the oil will just pass through the galleries. This should prove why it's important to maintain clean oil and filter. Rick

Turns out the Cub engine sucks oil up through the pick-up tube, into the oil pump, and then into the main oil gallery that feeds the tappets, cam, and crank bearings. Off this main gallery is a port that travels across to the oil filter assembly, filling up around the outside of the element, through the element, and then back down into the oil pan. Once the filter becomes plugged, NO FILTERING is done.
cub oil circ.jpg
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:30 am

That flow diagram is in the Blue Ribbon Service Manual GSS-1013 “Engine Lubrication Manual”.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety