This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Noise near shifter when in gear

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Noise near shifter when in gear

Postby Glen » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:45 pm

Hi,
I guess you have split your other tractor before, you said on page 1 of this post.
If you haven't split a Cub at the rear before, I'm thinking you might want to split it at the rear of the engine first, like you said before.

If you split it at the rear, both housings have to be held so the front of the shaft doesn't move up or down.
Also, if you split it at the rear, when you put it together, the front of the shaft has to go through the hole in the throwout bearing, and into the clutch disc.

You can decide which way you would rather split it, I don't know how many tractors you have repaired, or what equipment for splitting you have.

If you do a rear split, don't push the clutch pedal down when it is split, the clutch disc would fall down out of position.

Below is the Cub and LoBoy service manual, it has lots of info.
There is a contents beginning on page 1 of most sections.
I would read section 4, about splitting the Cub. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html
Last edited by Glen on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:45 am

I found it much easier to split at the rear of the torque tube. I removed all the bolts from the floor pan, flipped it up at the rear and tied it to the steering wheel. Both finals were removed, then just unbolted it and used the cherry picker to carefully remove it. Everyone worry’s about bending the clutch shaft but those things are incredibly tough. I couldn’t bend one when I tried (junk shaft, experimenting). While the trans. Is removed, make certain no one pushes the clutch pedal.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:26 am

I am on the same path as Gary. However, if you don't need to remove the lower shaft you don't have to remove the final drives from the transmission. The whole rear section can be rolled back from the front section. It is easy for two people. One can do it if you are on a smooth, solid surface. Just be careful of balance. The thing is close to balancing on the rear tires.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:10 pm

That is interesting what you said about the clutch shaft, Gary.
I didn't know they are so hard to bend.

There have been people on here that have had bent clutch shafts, and replaced them.

Interesting to see how someone bent them. :)

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:41 am

Glen, I further maintain that there’s no such thing as a straight one, they all have a little wobble when you spin them.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:08 am

Gary Dotson wrote:Glen, I further maintain that there’s no such thing as a straight one, they all have a little wobble when you spin them.

I had a friend put three that I had in his lathe to check for trueness. There was a little runout in the middle of each, but virtually none at the ends.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein