This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Trailer size

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
69ranger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 67357
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub, 1952 Cub, 1953 Cub, 1946 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall M, 1956 IH 130, 1979 IH 140, 1959 Farmall 240.
Several Brand X Green tractors that sound strange when they run.
1969 F-100 fully restored, 1969 F 100 original paint, 1973 F 100, 50 K original miles all original, 1978 F250 repainted, 1978 Bronco, 1967 Mustang, 1973 Mach ! Mustang.
Several single cylinder Honda motorcycles from the early 70's. Adding more junk all the time.

Re: Trailer size

Postby 69ranger » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:40 pm

My buddy was a U-Haul dealer for several year, and surge brakes were pretty common on the rentals he had. About all of the U-Hauls had them, and got along pretty well, and I never saw him working on one. I think the one thing that was in U-Haul's favor, was that they were being used often.

I think on a personal trailer, they experience the same issues as old grain trucks, and my old cars do... The wheel cylinders will freeze up if not used for a while, and then you have diminished braking, or worse nothing at all.

Electric brakes seem to hold up well, and with electronic controllers, there are no hydraulic lines to run, like there was in the past. Most trucks come wired for them, and some, like my Super Duty came with one already built in.

We have three trailers around here that are set up with magnetic brakes, and other than adjusting them once in a while, they have been fool proof.

I just about wont pull with out trailer brakes, unless its under 1000 lbs. My super duty is heavy, and can stop most things, with out brakes, but you never know when some one will test your stopping distance.

I have had car drivers, in a big hurry, especially in town pass, and then cut in in front of you, and then stop at a stop light. Though not the end all for this, having trailer brakes helps add a layer of safety.

Im my youth, I was guilty of pulling heavier loads than I should have, with an old 73 Ford F150, because that was all I had at the time.
I always kept the brakes on the truck, and on both trailer axles adjusted up and working at the best. Even though I was a little over loaded, I could stop a 6,000 pound plus, (trailer and tractor) really well.
Over all it handled well, but the speed limit was lower then, and with 55 or so being top speed made it safer as well.
For me its not what I can pull its what I can stop, and how quickly.

I hope to have a goose neck one of these days, and have some thing heavy enough to haul up to 3 small tractors or my old Farmall M and John Deere A safely. Right now I cant, as both tractors really are too heavy for my 18 foot trailer.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1957 LoBoy
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:10 pm

It is tight but doable...tandem axle trailer with brakes are a must. Be careful at there.

IMG_20180926_193900220.jpg
Ken, Annie the '48.

I think we gotter if'n she don't jump, Andy Griffith.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:15 pm

Hey Ken, if that Loboy were a regular Cub you would have to put a couple of 2x10's under the rear tires to make it fit.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1957 LoBoy

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:18 am

I've seen it done...;)
Ken, Annie the '48.

I think we gotter if'n she don't jump, Andy Griffith.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:28 am

I've hauled Cubs almost exclusively on a 6x12 single axle 2990GVWR no brakes trailer. Over hill and dale. From destinations as far away as Bill Hudson's (4 hours). At speeds up to 65MPH. Loaded forwards and backwards.

The only time I had any concern was when I picked up a derelict Cub that had a massive 8D battery mounted to the drawbar. I pulled that one on forwards because that's the only direction I could get at it from. Maybe it was just my imagination but I thought the trailer was dancing around a little too much for its own good. When I stopped at Arby's for dinner I took the battery off the back and strapped it on the front of the trailer.

Return to “Farmall Cub”