This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Question about my cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
1948cubnovice
Zip Code: 38469
Tractors Owned: 1948 farmall cub
1948 farmall cub
Allis Chalmers c

Question about my cub

Postby 1948cubnovice » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:00 pm

Just a couple of questions about my cub like what is the best weight of oil what is the best gear gear oil for the transmission and hydraulic fluid for the hydraulics thanks for the advice

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Question about my cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:24 pm

The engine oil is what you would want to use per your climate in any other tractor and really automobile. I use diesel 15w40 oil. 10w30 is fine as well. This is almost personal choice as the manual was written 50 to 70 years ago and oil technology and engine tolerances have changed over the years. And I mean your particular engine. Its probably not to the same spec it was when it rolled of the line.

Gear oil and transmission use 80w90 oil and for the hydraulics use HyTran or an equivalent. I use TSC Traveller brand Premium Tractor Transmission/Hydro fluid. Why cause it meets the spec and two I have it on hand from my old Yanmar tractor from buying a 5 gallon bucket and only needing 4 gallons for it's transmission.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Question about my cub

Postby Glen » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:34 pm

Hi,
The Cub owner's manual can help you learn about maintenance that the Cub needs.

Below is the 1949 Cub owner's manual. The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1.
It shows how Cubs originally looked in it. The lube section begins on page 14.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

It shows the electrical system that a 1949, and 1948 Cub originally had.
Cubs made before mid 1964 originally had 6 volt, positive ground electrical systems.

The 10 weight motor oil mentioned in the manual for the Touch Control was changed later to Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. It is sold at Case IH dealers.
There are other brands, be sure it works with IH hydraulic systems before buying one.
The manual tells how to check and change the Touch Control fluid, and remove the air from the system.
Be sure to check the fluid with the arms in the rear, or down position, the manual says to also.

I would check or change all the oils before using the Cub. Using it with low oil in a gear housing can damage the parts in the housing.
There are 3 separate gear housings, with 3 separate oil levels to check, in the rear area of a Cub, the transmission, and 2 final drives.

The transmissions in Cubs commonly get water in them, from rain, or condensation inside the housing over time.

The air cleaner is an oil bath air cleaner. Dirt that is sucked in settles to the bottom of the oil cup. It should have clean, light motor oil in the oil cup to work right.

There is a search box at the top of the page, to the right of the Farmall Cub, you can find info in posts that have been made. :)

Return to “Farmall Cub”