This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

YEAR CUB WAS BUILT

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DBIZZELL
Zip Code: 75763

YEAR CUB WAS BUILT

Postby DBIZZELL » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:10 am

I JUST BOUGHT ANOTHER CUB, THE SERIAL NUMBER TAG IS MISSING AND THE HOOD HAS BEEN CHANGED TO THE SQUARE TYPE, CASTING NUMBERS ARE 5/17/R HOW DO YOUTELL THE DIFFERENCE IN A 1947 AND 1970 USING R ON CODES LIST
THANKS
DBIZZELL

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: YEAR CUB WAS BUILT

Postby Barnyard » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:40 am

!947 would be a Q . Check your engine serial number. That will put you close to the year.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:32 am

I assume you meant difference between 1948 and 1970. There are a lot differences, some fairly obvious:
- 1970 engine block part number ends "R8", 1948 something less ("R1" or "R2", don't recall which)
- 1970 has long steering shaft and clamp on steering arm, vs short shaft and setscrew arms
- 1970 has toggle brakes vs one piece bands
- 1970 clutch adjustment is at base of pedal, 1948 might have it inside the bell housing.

DBIZZELL

Postby DBIZZELL » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:14 pm

I DID MISS TYPE MENT 1948, THE BLOCK NUMBERS DO END IN R1, CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT IS ON OUT SIDE, GOT IT CHEAP ENOUGH THAT I CAN OVER HAUL ENGINE, CAN'T BELEIVE HOW TIGHT FRONT END IS AND PLOWS ARE, GOT ALL PLOWS FRONT AND BACK AND PLANTERS, GOT IT FROM FRIENDS WIFE, HE HAD PAST AWAY.
SOMEONE HAD PUT SQUARE HOOD ON IT, STAMPED 1977 S# AND PAINTED IT YELLOW, RUN FAIR BUT NOT MUCH POWER, IN FRAME OVER HAUL?
THANKS FOR THE HELP
DBIZZELL

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:12 am

Hi,
You can look at the electrical system and it can help you identify the decade the Cub was made, if the electrical system is original.

A 1948 Cub electrical system is originally 6 volts, positive ground, with a starter rod that you pull to make the starter work.
The generator is sealed, and has a cutout, or Relay IH called it, on top of the gen. They have a 4 position switch on the dash that controls the gen charge rate, and the lights.
A 1948 Cub came with a magneto.

A 1970 Cub is originally 12 volts, negative ground. The starter has no rod that you pull. They had a push button on the dash.
The gen is open, or vented, with a fan at the front, and a voltage regulator on a bracket beside the gen.
They have a 4 position switch on the dash that is for the lights only.

Below is a page from the 1949 Cub owner's manual, showing the electrical system with the hood off.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-33.jpg

Below is a page from the 1965 Cub and LoBoy operator's manual, with the hood off.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-26.jpg

The engine serial number is stamped on the engine block, and can help identify the year.
It is not the same as the tractor serial number, except for the first Cubs, in 1947.
The engine could have been replaced, then the serial number would probably not be the same as originally.

Below is a page from the 1949 Cub owner's manual, showing where the engine serial number is.
You may need to clean it, and use a light to see it.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-02.jpg

If it doesn't have good power, it might need a full tune up, and the ignition timing checked.
The timing is important, if it is set wrong, the engine can have less power than it should.
You could do a compression test, and see if the compression is good. :)

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:19 am

DBIZZELL wrote:I DID MISS TYPE MENT 1948, THE BLOCK NUMBERS DO END IN R1, CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT IS ON OUT SIDE, GOT IT CHEAP ENOUGH THAT I CAN OVER HAUL ENGINE, CAN'T BELEIVE HOW TIGHT FRONT END IS AND PLOWS ARE, GOT ALL PLOWS FRONT AND BACK AND PLANTERS, GOT IT FROM FRIENDS WIFE, HE HAD PAST AWAY.
SOMEONE HAD PUT SQUARE HOOD ON IT, STAMPED 1977 S# AND PAINTED IT YELLOW, RUN FAIR BUT NOT MUCH POWER, IN FRAME OVER HAUL?
THANKS FOR THE HELP
DBIZZELL

DBIZZELL - Welcome to the Forum!

Take some time and read through a few threads to acquaint yourself with the Forum:

Now that you’ve logged your 2nd post on the Forum, you'll have access to the all the PDF Manuals on this site. There’s a few ways to do that:
  • From a desktop or laptop, go to "Quick Links" in the upper left corner of your screen. Hit that and a pull-down appears where you'll find "PDF Manuals".
  • You can also go to “Cub Info” in the upper toolbar, then hit “Rudi’s Manuals”. From there, you can access a variety of information.
  • If you're using a phone, go to the "Links Directory" (second category down the main page). Once in "Links Directory" , scroll down to the second section "Tractor Parts & Manuals" and you'll find them there.

You'll be able to download an Owner's Manual (very strongly recommended) and any service manuals that interest you. Implement Manuals are also available.

Might also enjoy reading through this thread: What to do with a Cub you just brought home

There are a lot of good threads dealing with Cub repair and maintenance in the How To Forum. Located here: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=11

We’d encourage you to take the Safety Test located in the Safety Forum: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=68084

Take some pictures of your tractors and post them, we’d like to see them.

Remember:
  • Pictures are limited to 500 KB file size. Use an image reducer app or program to downsize pics.
  • When you have a specific question, start a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum.
  • Before posting, use the Preview button before hitting Submit--it'll show you exactly what your post will look like, including pictures.
  • When adding your comments to a thread, be sure to look at the date of the last poster. If it’s more than a 6 months old, the posters are probably not going to see it. Consider starting a new thread.

Glad you joined us.

:tractor:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

DBIZZELL

Postby DBIZZELL » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:46 pm

I CHECKED TIMING WAS ADVANCED A LITTLE SET TO MARK AT POINTER AND ELIMINATED MOST OF SMOKE,STILL NOT MUCH POWER, RAN COMPRESSION CHECK #1 80,#2 80, #3 70 AND # 4 75. TIME FOR IN FRAME OVER HAUL?
THANKS FOR INFO
DBIZZELL

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:45 pm

Hi,
The compression numbers are some low.
The Cub service manual says a Cub engine has 120 lbs of compression. That is probably for a new engine.
Some less is ok, they have said on here 90 lbs or above is ok.

Before doing all the work of a rebuild to the engine, you could try an oil additive.
They say on here to put Seafoam oil additive in the engine oil.
They sell it at auto parts stores.
Several people on here that used it said that it helped a lot.
They say on here to make the engine work while using the additive.
If the piston rings are stuck, it can help free them.

One of the experts on here said to use the additive for 2 oil change periods.
The 1955 Cub operator's manual says to change the oil every 150 hours of use.
If the rings are wornout, the seafoam won't help much.

Here is info for doing a compression test, if you need it.
Open the throttle fully to do the compression test, so the engine can get air.
Have all 4 spark plugs out of the engine at the same time.
Charge the battery fully before the test, and use the starter. :)

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:54 pm

If it runs, buy a can of Seafoam and add it to the oil and gas per the can directions. Then work it hard
and recheck the compression numbers.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:57 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:If it runs, buy a can of Seafoam and add it to the oil and gas per the can directions. Then work it hard
and recheck the compression numbers.

I agree with Bob. It worked very well with a couple of my Cubs.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Pap
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 38401
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub ( Err Err )
I could not say tractor when I was 2 years old so I called it Err Err.

I loved this tractor then and I still love it now.

Postby Pap » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:20 pm

Welcome to the forum. Look around and learn and enjoy your project.
Are We Having Fun Yet ? :D
'47 cub ( Err Err )

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:59 pm

DBIZZELL wrote:I DID MISS TYPE MENT 1948, THE BLOCK NUMBERS DO END IN R1, CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT IS ON OUT SIDE, GOT IT CHEAP ENOUGH THAT I CAN OVER HAUL ENGINE, CAN'T BELEIVE HOW TIGHT FRONT END IS AND PLOWS ARE, GOT ALL PLOWS FRONT AND BACK AND PLANTERS, GOT IT FROM FRIENDS WIFE, HE HAD PAST AWAY.
THANKS FOR THE HELP
DBIZZELL

Let's go ahead here and turn your caps lock off. :thanx: :tractor:

DBIZZELL

Postby DBIZZELL » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:33 pm

BUM FINGER HARD TO TYPE