head gasket ?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 1627
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:19 am
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: louisiana

head gasket ?

Postby coppersmythe » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:48 pm

Hello from the beat up deep south . quick question . changed the head gasket on my 65' loboy . ran it a little bit . do i re-torque "hot"(warm) or cold ?? coppersmythe..................................

User avatar
Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 5495
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:33 pm
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Wa.

Re: head gasket ?

Postby Glen » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:50 pm

Hi,
Retorque the head bolts when the engine is cold, they have said on here before.

Below is a page from the 1965 Cub and LoBoy operator's manual telling the number of hours of use that IH said to go before retorquing the head bolts for a new tractor, I would think when you remove the head and put it on again, it would be about the same number of hours of use before retorquing the bolts.
It says 50 hours of use.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-71.jpg

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 1627
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:19 am
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: louisiana

Re: head gasket ?

Postby coppersmythe » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:12 pm

Glen wrote:Hi,
Retorque the head bolts when the engine is cold, they have said on here before.

Below is a page from the 1965 Cub and LoBoy operator's manual telling the number of hours of use that IH said to go before retorquing the head bolts for a new tractor, I would think when you remove the head and put it on again, it would be about the same number of hours of use before retorquing the bolts.
It says 50 hours of use.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-71.jpg
Thanks glen , i have received info from well known rebuilders that recommend retorqueing hot (warm) . i will study and go from there . thanks for your input .............coppersmythe............................

User avatar
Stanton
Team Cub
Team Cub
Posts: 7605
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:56 am
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Lone Jack, MO

Re: head gasket ?

Postby Stanton » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:23 am

coppersmythe wrote:
Glen wrote:Hi,
Retorque the head bolts when the engine is cold, they have said on here before.

Below is a page from the 1965 Cub and LoBoy operator's manual telling the number of hours of use that IH said to go before retorquing the head bolts for a new tractor, I would think when you remove the head and put it on again, it would be about the same number of hours of use before retorquing the bolts.
It says 50 hours of use.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-71.jpg
Thanks glen , i have received info from well known rebuilders that recommend retorqueing hot (warm) . i will study and go from there . thanks for your input .............coppersmythe............................


Interesting. From a layman’s perspective, the bolts and surrounding block in a warm engine would be expanded, versus a “cold” engine. I would assume you could torque the bolts down tighter when cold.

Unless there’s good evidence to the contrary, would think the IH manual would be correct.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 1627
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:19 am
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: louisiana

Re: head gasket ?

Postby coppersmythe » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:55 am

'76 ford 302 . I would say a pretty common engine . the timing chain ate up the camshaft gear and jumped timing . i had about a 50/50 split of opinion from multiple repair shops , half said non interference , no way the valves are bent , half said absolutely , valves are "bent" . one said " it depends " . the motor did have quite a few miles on it , so i ended up buying a crate motor and installed it myself . coppersmythe.......................................................

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:14 pm
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Greenwood County SC

Re: head gasket ?

Postby Clemsonfor » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:05 pm

coppersmythe wrote:'76 ford 302 . I would say a pretty common engine . the timing chain ate up the camshaft gear and jumped timing . i had about a 50/50 split of opinion from multiple repair shops , half said non interference , no way the valves are bent , half said absolutely , valves are "bent" . one said " it depends " . the motor did have quite a few miles on it , so i ended up buying a crate motor and installed it myself . coppersmythe.......................................................

What??? :lol: Hahaha
What does this have to do with torquing the head hot or cold?

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 1627
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:19 am
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: louisiana

Re: head gasket ?

Postby coppersmythe » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:12 pm

Clemsonfor wrote:
coppersmythe wrote:'76 ford 302 . I would say a pretty common engine . the timing chain ate up the camshaft gear and jumped timing . i had about a 50/50 split of opinion from multiple repair shops , half said non interference , no way the valves are bent , half said absolutely , valves are "bent" . one said " it depends " . the motor did have quite a few miles on it , so i ended up buying a crate motor and installed it myself . coppersmythe.......................................................

What??? :lol: Hahaha
What does this have to do with torquing the head hot or cold?
just an example of differences of opinion . a 76 ford 302 , how many hundreds of thousand have been rebuilt over the years , and still disagreement . :shock: coppersmythe.................

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:14 pm
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Greenwood County SC

Re: head gasket ?

Postby Clemsonfor » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:57 pm

coppersmythe wrote:
Clemsonfor wrote:
coppersmythe wrote:'76 ford 302 . I would say a pretty common engine . the timing chain ate up the camshaft gear and jumped timing . i had about a 50/50 split of opinion from multiple repair shops , half said non interference , no way the valves are bent , half said absolutely , valves are "bent" . one said " it depends " . the motor did have quite a few miles on it , so i ended up buying a crate motor and installed it myself . coppersmythe.......................................................

What??? :lol: Hahaha
What does this have to do with torquing the head hot or cold?
just an example of differences of opinion . a 76 ford 302 , how many hundreds of thousand have been rebuilt over the years , and still disagreement . :shock: coppersmythe.................

These things are not also absolutes. I did a timing belt on my 4.7l V8 Toyota last year. I changed it at TDC, I didn't roll it a few degrees to the service marks to take the tension off the cams and springs. I had a cam flop as I was lining the belt up. This is an interface engine. Reading the internet I feared I had ruined that head. Some folks said when it flops it ruins the valves that would hit. Others said nothing happens. Luckily I was the latter. But now I know ones I am in TDC to roll the engine a few degrees till the service marks all line up and to do the change in the service position so that the tension is off the cams. There is a lot of stored energy in those compressed valve springs.

That said I'll say this ...Toyota power. Love a Toyota.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Farmall Cub”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests