This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

tiller recommendation? new to the Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
LTinKY
Zip Code: 42724
Tractors Owned: 1965 offset International Cub Lo Boy

tiller recommendation? new to the Cub

Postby LTinKY » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:57 pm

I just bought my first Cub, an offset International Cub Lo-Boy. The owner thought it was a 1973 but the serial number indicates its a '65 (209XX).
It has the basic draw bar, with just a trailer hitch ball (no 3 point).

What's the best plan for looking for a garden tiller? Just drag an ATV tiller and manually engage it?
Attachments
cub lo boy 2.jpg

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: tiller recommendation? new to the Cub

Postby indy61 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:09 pm

LTinKY wrote:What's the best plan for looking for a garden tiller? Just drag an ATV tiller and manually engage it?

Welcome to the forum. Yes and I'm not sure the Cub is even a good choice for that.

LTinKY
Zip Code: 42724
Tractors Owned: 1965 offset International Cub Lo Boy

Postby LTinKY » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:47 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I am using it for the mower already, but I would like to till the garden with it instead of using my walk-behind. Just not sure where to start.

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby indy61 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:51 pm

The Cub will be hard to control speed for the tiller plus difficult to raise and lower.

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:36 pm

Best to drop the Idea of using a tiller with your cub!

One specific tiller (Howard Rotovator) was made to use with the cub, but it required a additional gearbox to be added to one of the final drives to reduce the speed!

They are out there and some guys on here have them, but you might spend a lifetime trying to find one!

Maybe shop around for a plow and disk for your cub
Hmm..... I know they did the fast hitch for the lowboy, but I do not know if the 193 plow 38a disk will work on the lowboy with the drawbar!

Good luck!

(Special Note) Take your your mower deck off and put it back on to see if you wanna fart around swapping the mower deck with another implement. (Too much monkeying for me! :))

You might decide to buy another cub! Thats what I did!
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:54 pm

if your lowboy had a fast hitch they made a L-194 plow and L 38 disc for it to fit the fast hitch,

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:52 am

Well, it’s a nice looking Lo Boy so enjoy mowing with it and go to plan”B” for tilling the garden.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:00 am

It wont work with ANY tiller! no power for mounted one,(IF you could find one), and no weight to hold one back! Mower is about the limit on these and they dont have enough power for that in the real world!

JoeB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JoeB » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:48 pm

Craftsman used to make a tow behind tiller that was self powered (5hp-8hp gas engine) that was made to pull behind a garden tractor. I used to see them pop up on craigslist from time to time anywhere from $300-600, before the pandemic. They are around 24-36" till width best I can remember. It would work behind a cub, as you wont be using the PTO and can use throttle for speed adjustment.

Another option is to hire it done by someone locally who tills gardens, there is always 2-3 ads on craigslist for different people in my area who do this in the evenings for extra cash.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:30 pm

Hi,
IH stopped making offset LoBoys in 1968.

The Cub and LoBoy operator's manual can help you learn about maintenance that the Cub or LoBoy needs.

Below is the 1965 Cub and LoBoy operator's manual. The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1, and the index begins on page 75.
It shows how Cubs and LoBoys originally looked in it. The lube section begins on page 59.
Changing the trans, final drive, and steering gear oils are on page 70.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

It shows the electrical system that a 1965 Cub and LoBoy originally had.
Cubs and LoBoys made after mid 1964 originally have 12 volt, negative ground electrical systems.
The manual has 6 and 12 volt info, disregard the 6 volt info, since your LoBoy is 12 volts.

The Touch Control uses Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. It is sold at Case IH dealers.
There are other brands, be sure it works with IH hydraulic systems before buying one.
The manual tells how to check and change the Touch Control fluid, and remove the air from the system.
Be sure to check the fluid with the arms in the rear, or down position, the manual says to also.

I would check or change all the oils before using the LoBoy. Using a LoBoy with low oil in a gear housing can damage the parts in it.
There are 3 separate gear housings at the rear area of a Cub or LoBoy, with 3 separate oil levels to check, the transmission, and 2 final drives.

The transmissions in Cubs and LoBoys commonly get water in them, from rain, or condensation inside the housing over time.

The air cleaner is an oil bath air cleaner. Dirt that is sucked in settles to the bottom of the oil cup. It should have clean, light motor oil in the oil cup to work right.

The operator's manual tells how to change the oils, and what oils to use.

There is a search box at the top of the page, to the right of the Farmall Cub, you can find info in posts that have been made. :)

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:06 am

For a cub, the plow and disc was the ground engaging tool of choice.
Perhaps a numbered lowboy is more suited to your needs?
With a 3-point hitch and a creeper, this thing will run a tiller and turn grass into garden.
Here's a few pic's of mine doing just that.
This year - the garden is 2 years old now so it is fairly grass and weed free.
2021Garden.jpg

Fall tilling - still has the mower deck mounted - but did have to remove the PTO guards, Belt, and Pulley to use the PTO shaft.
IMG_0419.jpg

Early spring tilling - still has the snow blade and chains installed. Chains are not required for tilling.
IMG_1134.jpg
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade