This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Starter issue

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Lowrollerjr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93010
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub

Starter issue

Postby Lowrollerjr » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:35 pm

Hope you all can help me. When my cub is cold the starter won’t turn over. However when I pull the starter switch and tap the starter with a rubber mallet simultaneously it will turn over and start the tractor. Once the tractor is warmed up there are no issues. Does the large screw on the starter have something to do with it? Thanks in advance.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Starter issue

Postby tst » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:07 pm

sounds like maybe bad/worn out brushes or brush spring weak or broke, when you hit it with the hammer it jars it enough to work, also possible bad spot on armature possible, pull the starter switch and check the contact for that also

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:13 pm

My money is on the brushes too.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:18 pm

Agree! The large screw just holds the pole shoe in place.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:14 pm

Hi,
You could take off the switch on top of the starter and see if the contacts are burned, disconnect the battery ground cable before taking the switch off.
Sand the contacts smooth, with fine sandpaper, wipe off all sanding with a clean rag, and try it again, if they are worn too much, the switch needs replacing.
Don't overly sand the post on top of the starter, it is probably soldered inside the starter, it needs to be as tall as it can be to make contact with the switch.
There should be 2 insulations inside the switch, 1 on each side, so the switch doesn't short.
Be sure they are in place when you put the switch on.

You could sand the battery cable ends, and where they touch to, to be sure they make good contact.
Leave the ground cable disconnected until you are done sanding the others.

If it doesn't work after that, remove the band on the starter and see if the brushes are worn down, if they are, the starter needs a rebuild, probably the bushing at each end inside it would need replacing too.
Or something electrical inside the starter could have a problem, armature, etc.

There are 4 of the large screws, spaced around the starter, they are usually too tight to turn.
Unless they are loose, they probably wouldn't be any problem.

The 2 bolts at the front end of the starter hold it together, they are long, be careful to not twist them off if they are stuck. Turn them both directions if they are stuck.
They have said on here that the bolts are not available.

TM Tractor has a new starter switch if you need one. Below is the listing.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/el/2543fp.htm

Below is a page from the Cub parts manual showing the 6 volt starter.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 008-10.jpg

If you buy parts for the starter at a starter repair shop, give them the Delco model number, it is on the plate on the starter. It is usually 1109603, or 1109611.

Below is a pic from online of new brushes and bushings for the 6 volt starter. You can see the length of the brushes in the pic from where the screw hole is, they wear down towards the screw hole. :)
Attachments
Cub starter brushes.jpg
Cub starter brushes.jpg (9.46 KiB) Viewed 171 times

Stoffregen Motorsports
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 95614

Postby Stoffregen Motorsports » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:01 am

Back when I used to race slot cars, there was some stuff we called "com juice" which we would drip on the commutator and brushes to help clean them up and give them new life. Years later, I found that metal etch used on electrical parts does a similar job. You might be able to save the trouble of disassembling the unit by just spraying the internals with some metal etch (I use Krud-Kutter metal etch) and then hose it off with water, let it dry and give it a shot.

If you;re going to the trouble of removing the starter, and you want years of trouble free service, send it out and have it rebuilt. I have a local to me shop that rebuilds all my starters, generators and alternators. Pennies on the dollar compared to new starters. You also get good American quality parts and you're employing Americans to do the work. I think just about every major area has a shop that rebuilds starters so a quick google search of your area may pay off.