This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

touch Control Leak

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Plywud
Zip Code: 98042

touch Control Leak

Postby Plywud » Fri May 21, 2021 8:03 pm

Hello, rebuilt the touch control a few months back, did a complete rebuild with all new gaskets and seals, fixed the problem of leaking fluid in the front of the unit, but now I have a much bigger leak in the back, seems to be leaking from under the bottom plate on the unit, that which is bolted down above the bell housing. Took it apart again, have a friend with his A&P who gave me some aircraft gasket sealer and reapplied around the base covering all the surfaces that touches the gasket material, both sides. I noticed some new leakage from the same area, just not a much when I was purging the air bubbles. I have installed a 54 belly blade, that was not on the tractor for the first build, blade was in the raised position when I shut it down. I had left the blade up, mostly because I'm also chasing a start and idleing problem, and couldn't get it restarted. I cleaned all the oil around the leak area, and put her up for the night. It has been 24 hours and there has been no new leakage, and the blade is still in the same up position. I'm no wrench, and I still believe Snap On tools makes a left handed 3/8 drive socket set. I know I have one, paid extra for it on special order. I'm at a loss here, do I have to put the left hand seals with just my left hand, right hand with just my right hand. Spit in the Hyd fluid as I'm filling the tank? Checked the base with a level and it seems flat, have a parts unit I bought, took the base off it, same thing, flat not warped that I can see. Wouldn't the weight of the blade create enough force or pressure to make it leak in some capacity, even if the engine is off?

Any ideas or options would be greatly appreciated

RJ

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: touch Control Leak

Postby Dale Finch » Sat May 22, 2021 8:34 am

I had a leak/seep coming from the square plug located at the base of the head, Page 4, Part 59, # 444 660:

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20Parts%20Manuals/TC-37F%20Revision%206%20(08-79)/Group%20-%2010%20-%20Hydraulics/Group%20-%2010%20-%20Hydraulics.htm

Just a thought as to another source for your leak.
I now own a set of male & female pipe plug wrenches that help remove & replace this and other square pipe plugs on the cub...they certainly make things easier.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Plywud
Zip Code: 98042

Postby Plywud » Sat May 22, 2021 10:09 am

Well it's certainly in the correct area, I have never noticed it, always looking at the base plate bolts. Thanks Dale

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Dale Finch » Sat May 22, 2021 2:38 pm

Check all the plugs, as well as the head area, too. Once that oil saturates everything, it's really hard to trace a leak to its source. :?
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety