This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

expert/technical cub info

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
hotrodcars
Zip Code: 22152
Tractors Owned: 1948 F CUB

expert/technical cub info

Postby hotrodcars » Sat May 01, 2021 4:13 pm

Hey folks, not to be to forward but is there any one of you who just knows "everything about the Cubs that would be willing to let me call you, I have to many questions to ask on the forum. If not I understand but I could use a lot of info real quick just as an example: quick hitches and implements as well as final drive compatibility between The standard and the Low boy ect. By the way I have tried to find the answers in the books and online to no avail.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: expert/technical cub info

Postby Barnyard » Sat May 01, 2021 5:13 pm

It would be best to just ask your questions in the forum.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat May 01, 2021 5:41 pm

Post a numbered list and you'll get answers back the same way. One person may not know the answers to all questions. There will be some questions that may have multiple answers too.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Olred
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Olred » Sat May 01, 2021 5:49 pm

Tm tractor has a great how to implement page, it has helped me many times when buying equipment and setting it up
1949 Cub "The Anti-Christ"
1948 Cub "Trailer Queen"
1966 Cub "Ol Yeller"
1948 Cub "Rusty"
1953 Super A
1950 John Deere MT
1941 John Deere B
1944 John Deere B
1948 John Deere B
1942 Case VAI
1974 Ford 3000

hotrodcars

Postby hotrodcars » Sat May 01, 2021 5:53 pm

Sounds good I'll start putting a list together, Thanks

hotrodcars

Postby hotrodcars » Sat May 01, 2021 5:59 pm

Just for giggles are the final drives the same between the standard and the low boy cubs? I see the standard has what looks like two slots for the brakes as my low boy only has one, is this the wrong assumption? by the way mine is a 1948.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sat May 01, 2021 6:08 pm

hotrodcars wrote:Just for giggles are the final drives the same between the standard and the low boy cubs?

They are different.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

hotrodcars

Postby hotrodcars » Sat May 01, 2021 8:23 pm

Ok guy's don't dumbass me to much as I am a hotrod guy and totally new to the tractor thing, my new question is , can I put a fast hitch on my low boy. It has t/c, a C-3 belly mower and I would like to move towards ease of use ie; a pull behind deck. I'm not sure about height/clearance issues as most of the cubs i've seen with the fast hitch are standards?

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Sat May 01, 2021 8:57 pm

yes you can add a fast hitch, BUT it has to be for a loboy, regular cub is different

hotrodcars

Postby hotrodcars » Sat May 01, 2021 11:02 pm

How do you tell the difference?

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sat May 01, 2021 11:08 pm

Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun May 02, 2021 12:25 am

Hi,
IH began making LoBoys in 1955, at LoBoy serial number 501.

If you meant you have a LoBoy, it can't be a 1948.

The LoBoys have their own serial numbers, separate from the Farmall Cubs.

If you used the serial number list at the top of the page at Cub Info, Serial Number Lookup, you need to change the list to the LoBoys.
Scroll down to the bottom of the list, and change it to LoBoys.

The brake rod holes, and oil filler plug holes are in different places on the Farmall Cub and the LoBoy final drives.

Below is a page from the 1957 LoBoy operator's manual, showing the LoBoy Fast Hitch.
Much of it is different than a Fast Hitch for a regular Cub.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2019.jpg

The LoBoy operator's manual can help you learn about maintenance that the LoBoy needs.

Below is the 1957 LoBoy operator's manual. The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1, and the index begins on page 80.
It shows how LoBoys originally looked in it. The lube section begins on page 21.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

It shows the electrical system that a 1957 LoBoy originally had.
LoBoys made before mid 1964 originally had 6 volt, positive ground electrical systems.

The Touch Control fluid recommended in the manual for the Touch Control was changed later to Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. It is sold at Case IH dealers.
There are other brands, be sure it works with IH hydraulic systems before buying one.
The manual tells how to check or change the Touch Control fluid, and remove the air from the system.
Be sure to check the fluid level with the arms in the rear, or down position. The manual says that also.

I would check or change all the oils before using the LoBoy. Using it with low oil in a gear housing can damage the parts in the housing.
There are 3 separate gear housings, with 3 separate oil levels to check in the rear area of a LoBoy, the transmission, and 2 final drives.

The transmissions in Cubs and LoBoys commonly get water in them, from rain, or condensation inside the housing over time.

The air cleaner is an oil bath air cleaner. Dirt that is sucked in settles to the bottom of the oil cup. It should have clean, light motor oil in the oil cup to work right.

There is a search box at the top of the page, to the right of the Farmall Cub, you can find info in posts that have been made.

The engine oil pump can lose it's prime sitting, then if you run the engine, it may not suck oil up again.
Running the engine with no oil pressure can damage the engine.
Below is a link to a post I made about priming the oil pump, my post is about half way down the page. :)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91765&start=60