This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rattling/chattering throwout bearing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dave Downs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18923
Tractors Owned: 1937 F-20
1944 M
H w/Heisler OD & disc brakes
C
C w/Fast Hitch
SC w/Fast Hitch

Rattling/chattering throwout bearing

Postby Dave Downs » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:26 am

Thanks to the answers to my questions yesterday on the oil seal.

Background, replaced clutch & throwout bearing last winter - throwout bearing was worn down to the metal!! Pressure plate fingers properly adjusted, clutch worked nice and smooth, no problems. Machine belongs to my neighbor. it is at my place for a mower deck replacement. I only operate it when I move it to my place and I wear ear protection whenever I run anything (didn't used to, now have bad tinnitus).

Ran tractor in garage last night to raise mower deck, heard this rattling sound, opened hand hole and could see the throwout bearing dancing around.
Everything looks and feels good, nothing loose that I can find. Pedal free-play is 1-1/2", should be 1". If I hold the pedal down to about 1/2" free play things calm down.

Before I adjust the linkage - it is an early Cub without the slotted clutch pedal, you have to adjust the clevis through the hand hole which is a real pain, does anybody have any other suggestions? And I'm not real happy with the idea of reducing free play to 1/2".

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Re: Rattling/chattering throwout bearing

Postby SamsFarm » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:43 am

Is the transmission input shaft spinning true?

Was the pilot bushing replaced when the clutch work was done?
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby tst » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:30 am

if the wholes are worn that hold the bearing it will rattle around and probably destroy the bearing, it it well lubed with cheap grease, the new bearings come dry, soak them in oil for a week before installing

Dave Downs
10+ Years
10+ Years
1944 M
C
C w/Fast Hitch
SC w/Fast Hitch

Postby Dave Downs » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:46 am

Pilot bushing was replaced, new throwout bearing was soaked in oil, then greased.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:47 pm

Hi,
The holes in the throwout bearing holder need checking when the Cub is apart. If the holes are worn from use, the holder can move around, like you said above.

TM Tractor has a new holder for Cubs with the newer clutch adjustment, but not for the 1st style adjustment. The holders are different.
I think someone with the 1st style holder said he welded the holes, and then made them original size again.

Also, the pin at the top of the holder can wear and be loose in the holder's holes.
TM Tractor has a new pin.

If the sides of the holder are bent in, it can make it loose side to side, the sides need to be out almost against the casting, so the holder is held in one position side to side.
That position needs to be so the bearing is centered on the pressure plate fingers. :)

Dave Downs
10+ Years
10+ Years
1944 M
C
C w/Fast Hitch
SC w/Fast Hitch

Postby Dave Downs » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:40 am

Thanks again for the information.

Looks like I'm going to have to split the tractor. It's not a bad job except for that darn one-piece hood/fuel tank, it is really awkward to handle and you have to drain the tank.

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:27 am

Dave Downs wrote:Thanks again for the information.

Looks like I'm going to have to split the tractor. It's not a bad job except for that darn one-piece hood/fuel tank, it is really awkward to handle and you have to drain the tank.

I was getting good at pulling the hood/tank for a while.
Threatened to modify it and use velcro instead of bolts...

The shaker (marble in a piece of flared pipe in the end) siphon hose helps empty the tank easy. And I don't taste gas anymore!

I roll the tank upside down after lifting it clear , and then onto whatever it is going to rest on. Preferably a padded surface. But not always...

Return to “Farmall Cub”