This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

starter problem

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
tomstractor
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 01007
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub,57Cub, 57 Low Boy, 48 BN, 48 Ford8N, 49Ford 8N, 56 Massey Harris 50, 58 MF 65, 77 MF 265
Circle of Safety: Y

starter problem

Postby tomstractor » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:23 pm

The starter on my Lo Boy has been kicking out to fast. I just repaired it by replacing the starter drive. The replacement drive made a terrible
grinding noise. I took it out and after much searching found that one of the Bendix spring bolts was a standard bolt, not a low head as would be on there. One bolt was right and one was a regular bolt, high head, :tractor: and it hit inside of the nose cone. I replaced it with one of the bolts from my original drive, all is well. This drive came from All States Ag so if you need one make sure to check it. Save a lot of grief. starter in and out 4 times.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Re: starter problem

Postby tst » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:05 pm

yes foreign electrical parts are the worst at quality I fine, cost more but will pay up for USA ones, I like NOS electrical, they also make a new style starter drive to fit the old style starters now also that I have had good luck with

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Re: starter problem

Postby Glen » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:10 pm

Hi,
The 6 volt starter can kick out too soon, maybe more so in cold weather, because the engine needs a tune up, or the ignition timing is wrong.
There may be nothing wrong with the starter.

When a cylinder fires, the engine speeds up, and the starter drive disengages from the flywheel ring gear, like it is supposed to do. The engine fired on 1 cylinder, but other cylinders didn't fire, so the engine didn't run.

Spark plugs need to be clean, and gapped right.
Spark plugs can also quit working, then the cylinder misses all the time.

All the ignition parts need to be good for the engine to start well in cold temps.
The ignition points get burned from use, that can cause hard starting also. :)