This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Auxiallry Hydraulics Setup Questions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Nautiluscont
Zip Code: 43617
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub

Auxiallry Hydraulics Setup Questions

Postby Nautiluscont » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:33 pm

I am in the progress on installing auxiliary hydraulics on my 48 Cub to control the front blade angle using a bypass block setup... I have read the many posts on here regarding the setup and have a couple of questions:

1) Should the return line from the new spool valve (T port) with an open center be connected to the 1/4 NPT port on the bypass block or plumbed into the TC tank thru the fill port? My particular spool valve has both a T port and a PB (power beyond) port. Reason for asking is it after reading the many posts on here, some say that the (T) line should be plumbed to the TC tank fill and another line ran from the PB (power beyond) port to the return port on the bypass block. Which is correct? I guess more specifically, what is the difference between using the PB port or the T port with an open center? I thought I read somewhere that it has to do with the fact both the TC and new spool both have relief valves and plumbing it straight from the T port the bypass block port puts them in series which could over pressure the system. Is this true? Will the system work effectively and safely with out using the PB port on the new spool? My intent would be to be able to operate the angle control and the TC control but not at the same time if that makes a difference.

2) If an additional return line is need from the T port on the new spool to the TC tank fill plug, how do you fill the system with it plumbed to the TC fill plug opening? My fill plug seems to be an odd size thread but I'm sure I could drill and tap a fitting into it?

Thanks in advance,

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60102
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub purchased 1960
'59 International Lo-Boy purchased 1987
'48 Ford 8N family owned since new

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'
Prewitt post hole digger with mounts for Cub and Ford
Grading and leveling blade with snow ext and hydraulic angle

Re: Auxiallry Hydraulics Setup Questions

Postby Gary S. » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:50 pm

I did one quite awhile ago and just followed what others here told me. What little I learned I have forgot and at this point the tractor is 1500 miles away. I do have these 2 pictures maybe they will help- sorry about the quality. I had used a "cessna"? valve and TM's block plate at the tc control.
Attachments
side view 1.PNG
tool box.png

Cubfriend
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 68803
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub, Kittie; 1948 Cub, Harold; 1949 Cub, 49er; 1951 Cub, Tucker; 1951 Cub, Homely; 1956 Cub High Crop; 1957 Cub Loboy; 57 Cub Loboy w/fasthitch + 194 plow; 1958 Cub LoBoy w/FH, Popeye; 1961 Cub, Beater; #1-1962 Cub Loboy Dually (Originally Orange) w/Foot Throttle; #2-1962 Cub Loboy Dually (Originally Orange) w/Foot throttle; Yellow 1963 Cub Loboy and blade; 1970 Cub, Cubbie; and 5 other Cubs in various stages of disaasembly and disrepair; 1962 Cub Cadet Original; 2 other Cub Cadet Originals; Cub Cadet 100; Cub Cadet 124 w/Creeper; Cub Cadet 147; 2 Cub Cadet 129's; Cub Cadet 149; 1948 Allis Chalmers C w/single frontwheel; 1944 Farmall H w/Tokhiem Cab; 2 One Point Fasthitch Carriers; 2-#100 Fasthitch Rear Blade; 2 Sets Cub 144 Cultivators; 2 Sets Cub #252 Cultivators; 3 Cub #193 Mouldboard Plows; 1 Cub #193 Slatted Plow; 1 1948 Cub-54 Snow Plow; 3 Cub-54 49-5 Snow Plows; Cub #6 Tool Bar w/Disc Blades & Middlebuster. 2-#105 sickle mowers, #152 disc plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cubfriend » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:24 pm

Nautiluscont wrote:I am in the progress on installing auxiliary hydraulics on my 48 Cub to control the front blade angle using a bypass block setup... I have read the many posts on here regarding the setup and have a couple of questions:

1) Should the return line from the new spool valve (T port) with an open center be connected to the 1/4 NPT port on the bypass block or plumbed into the TC tank thru the fill port? My particular spool valve has both a T port and a PB (power beyond) port. Reason for asking is it after reading the many posts on here, some say that the (T) line should be plumbed to the TC tank fill and another line ran from the PB (power beyond) port to the return port on the bypass block. Which is correct? I guess more specifically, what is the difference between using the PB port or the T port with an open center? I thought I read somewhere that it has to do with the fact both the TC and new spool both have relief valves and plumbing it straight from the T port the bypass block port puts them in series which could over pressure the system. Is this true? Will the system work effectively and safely with out using the PB port on the new spool? My intent would be to be able to operate the angle control and the TC control but not at the same time if that makes a difference.

2) If an additional return line is need from the T port on the new spool to the TC tank fill plug, how do you fill the system with it plumbed to the TC fill plug opening? My fill plug seems to be an odd size thread but I'm sure I could drill and tap a fitting into it?

Thanks in advance,

If I recall correctly that fill plug is 7/8 x 18tpi unless you have the early hydraulic block that is a pipe plug.
Frank

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:44 pm

The pressure from the Cub's pump, bypasses the TC unit and is diverted to your auxiliary valve (P port), hence the name bypass block. The fluid then passes through the open center spool of your auxiliary valve and heads back (from the T port)to the bypass block to continue (as pressure) through the TC unit supplying the TC unit with pressure to operate. That completes the hydraulic circuit. The A & B ports send pressure to your auxiliary cylinder on your blade.
Your auxiliary valve needs to have a pressure relief that can be adjusted down to about 1500 psi so the pressure doesn't dead head when the cylinders fully extend or retract. Your auxiliary valve is upstream of the Cubs relief so the circuit is unprotected without the auxiliary valves relief.
The only time you need to send fluid through the fill port in the TC block is if you use a power beyond kit on your Cub (which isn't needed). If you had a power beyond kit on your valve (again, not needed) it would be plumbed something like this.

1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Nautiluscont
Zip Code: 43617
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub

Postby Nautiluscont » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:21 pm

Thanks guys!

Ricky, my setup is largely based off your setup. What was the reason you plumbed the (extra) line from the power beyond port to return port on the bypass and then the t port to the tank? Was it simply because your valve had both ports?

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:26 am

I was under the understanding that I needed the power beyond added to the valve. That proved to not be the case. It's been a lot of years since I plumbed up my valve and don't honestly remember why it was plumbed that way. All I know is it works great.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:53 am

Rick Prentice just did a nice write-up on how a power beyond valve works.

IMHO at the low pressure and volume of a Cub hydraulic system, power beyond is not absolutely necessary. Farmers have been stacking regular old four-way spool valves on old tractors for 70+ years, IN to OUT to IN to OUT and back to the tractor. True, power beyond is the "right" way to do it, but the valves are plenty strong to deal with ~1500PSI.

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:06 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:Rick Prentice just did a nice write-up on how a power beyond valve works.

IMHO at the low pressure and volume of a Cub hydraulic system, power beyond is not absolutely necessary. Farmers have been stacking regular old four-way spool valves on old tractors for 70+ years, IN to OUT to IN to OUT and back to the tractor. True, power beyond is the "right" way to do it, but the valves are plenty strong to deal with ~1500PSI.

Rick's write up.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=109793&p=871956&sid=e17a7e374b5f63381bedaf163bc51bde#p871956

While I have not played with aux hydraulics on the cub, I have on other things.

If the touch control unit has the relief valve (I am betting it does), and your new valve does not have a relief valve built in, then the potential to dead end your hydraulic pump exists!

When that happens pressure will spike past the point the cub's system was designed for and you could damage your pump, blow out seals, or maybe rupture the metal lines if they have a weak spot from rust or wear from rubbing on something!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:59 pm

SamsFarm wrote:. . . If the touch control unit has the relief valve (I am betting it does), and your new valve does not have a relief valve built in, then the potential to dead end your hydraulic pump exists! . . .

You are correct, on both counts. Furthermore, if you do have a relief valve in the new valve and don't plumb it correctly, you still may in effect dead end the system. The return through the relief valve needs to go straight back to the reservoir, not the bypass block.

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:13 pm

Jim Becker wrote: Furthermore, if you do have a relief valve in the new valve and don't plumb it correctly, you still may in effect dead end the system. The return through the relief valve needs to go straight back to the reservoir, not the bypass block.

I think that depends on what valve you have and whether the relief valve dumps into the hydraulic return port, or has its own dedicated return port!

My 3 point log splitter and Shaver post pounder are 2 hose systems and have their relief valve dump into the return line.

See the Prince valve below!

Edit; The Prince valve pictured below is NOT acceptable to as a grader blade angle valve!

48EFB034-E805-4EE8-ACDC-D23803CC31EF.png

My 4520 Deere has a power beyond system that I use for them. Deere warns that damage could result from running the tractor with the power beyond not connected to itself or another valve that has the relief valve built in!

My Deere power beyond system in nothing more than if you had the bypass block installed on your Cub with a female quick coupler attached to the pressure side and a hose with a male quick coupler attached to the return side.

Plug them together to operate the touch control, but disconnect them (with the tractor not running) and plug the pressure into your log splitter, or something similar that would be used while the touch control is inoperable, plug your return line into the touch control fill port!

Happy tractoring!
Last edited by SamsFarm on Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:32 pm

That Prince valve does not appear to be a power beyond valve. Any flow from the relief valve is evidently dumped to the "out" connection. As I said previously, that "out" needs to run directly to the reservoir. If it is plumbed back into the bypass block, there is a risk of over-pressuring the system.

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:11 pm

I guess the biggest question, what does the International technical manual say?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:23 pm

As far as i know, IH's only use of the bypass block on a Cub was for the model 1000 Loader. It uses a double valve assembly, one set up as two-way, the other set up as one-way. There is a pressure relief valve at the inlet end. Outflow from it and the return from both valves is collected into a single outlet/tube that returns flow to the tank built into the loader frame. A power beyond outlet is on the opposite end of the assembly from the relief valve. That outlet connects back to the bypass block to feed the Touch-Control valve. Another hose runs from the bottom of the loader frame tank to the filler of the Touch-Control.

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:02 am

Here is the schematic from the Prince hydraulics.

It is showing in a round about way what Jim is describing in the 1000 loader hook-up!

http://www.princehyd.com/portals/0/tech ... erPbDA.pdf

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:38 am

SamsFarm wrote:Here is the schematic from the Prince hydraulics.

It is showing in a round about way what Jim is describing in the 1000 loader hook-up!

http://www.princehyd.com/portals/0/tech ... erPbDA.pdf

The third drawing is the dangerous situation I've been trying to explain. The valves in the drawings appear to be drawn to include a pressure relief. Assume they are both set for 1,500 psi. If the downstream circuit hits a hard stop, the high pressure lines will all be at 1,500 psi. Now throw in the possibility that both valves are actuated and hit a hard stop at about the same time. You now have 1,500 psi on the line feeding the downstream valve. Since it is the same line as the return from the upstream valve, the upstream outlet pressure is 1,500 psi. The upstream pressure relief won't open until it senses ANOTHER 1,500 psi. So everything from that relief valve back to and including the pump has 3,000 psi. That is when things start exploding.