This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fuel line ferrule

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Nautiluscont
Zip Code: 43617
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub

Fuel line ferrule

Postby Nautiluscont » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:14 pm

I purchased a new steel fuel line for my cub from Steiners and installed it yesterday, however it leaked at the carb fitting. I have worked with compression fittings in the past but not ones that are one piece like the IH ones. To start with, the fitting was extremely tight and barely slid on the line. I read a lot of posts on here about people having issues with getting the one piece male/ferrule to tighten and separate. I have tightened it quite a bit but certainly don't want to strip out the carb inlet. Neither of the ferrules separated on either side of the line. At first, it also leaked on the fuel strainer side but more tightening fixed that. The ferrule on that side didn't separate either. Some on here suggest buying a female fitting and using that to tighten and separate the ferrules off the tractor as not to strip or crack the inlet. Anyone have a make and model of a suggested female fitting for this or any other suggestions?

I appreciate the advice in advance,

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Fuel line ferrule

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:22 pm

If the steel line is coated, you may need to sand off the coating so the ferrule can slide on it. Any good hardware store should have a brass female fitting for a 5/16" line.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Fuel line ferrule

Postby k hutchins » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:01 pm

I purchased the same fuel line last summer for my "new" '48. Bob, they aren't coated, the ferrules are just real tight. You can't turn them by hand.
I wasn't real impressed with the line. I had to to tweak the bends just to get it to line up correctly so l didn't cross thread trying to get it attached.

A thought l had is to take the carb off, attach the line so you know that it's right and tight, then remount the carb.
Just a thought.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?: