This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

3 brush generator internal wiring

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
wlmccabe
Zip Code: 29001

3 brush generator internal wiring

Postby wlmccabe » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:59 am

I have six 3 brush generators, 2 Farmall Cub, 2 John Deere, and 2 spare. I have growler tested armatures and housings on all of them. All check good. After disassembling for cleaning and testing, I have internally wired them per the wiring diagram I found in two places online, which shows the insulated brush at 180 degrees to the ground brush as the third brush to terminal "F". The adjustable brush and ground brush are shown as the main brushes with the adjustable brush to terminal "A". I found a post for Oct. 2009 on this site, if my understanding is correct, that seems to reverse the brush and wiring order. I am not questioning anyone's knowledge or expertise, but I really need confirmation on which is right for the right internal wiring. My generators motor only when I ground the housing and "F" terminal. I am learning about 3 brush generators. Thanks to anyone who can help me get my generators wired right.

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 3 brush generator internal wiring

Postby Bill V in Md » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:03 pm

Check out the post in the following link:http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=106932
You can also go to the Quick Links (top left of this page), then go to the PDF Manuals, then go to the Service Manuals / Delco Remy, then go to either the Delco Service Manual or Third Brush Generators.

Welcome to the Forum.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:18 pm

IH uses a type A charging system, where the generator provides voltage and you control the charge by varying the ground on the F lead. I am not sure, but I believe John Deere uses a B charging system, where the voltage to the field is supplied externally, so the internal wiring of generators for the 2 are different.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:11 pm

I forgot to mention that you need two posts on this forum to have access to the on-line manuals.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

JohnMihevic
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44253
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub
C3 Mower
Hammond B3 for Rainy Days

Postby JohnMihevic » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:06 pm

The attachment below is a simple schematic of the 6V 3rd Brush Generator used on the Farmall Cub.

John M.
3BrushGen_Jpeg.JPG

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:28 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:. . . I am not sure, but I believe John Deere uses a B charging system . . .

I believe that Deere (at least the older ones) used an A circuit. I think they even used a lot of the same Delco components as IH. I think Ford used B circuits.

JohnMihevic wrote:The attachment below is a simple schematic . . .

And unlike that other one that has been copied all over the internet, this one is correct!

wlmccabe
Zip Code: 29001

Postby wlmccabe » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:25 pm

Changing the internal wiring to match the picture given on this site. Having a problem with one generator that motors only when I ground the housing and "F" terminal. Generator tested good on growler. Would this indicate insufficient ground on the ground brush or something else. I appreciate everyone's help with my "OJT" on my tractors.

JohnMihevic
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44253
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub
C3 Mower
Hammond B3 for Rainy Days

Postby JohnMihevic » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:27 pm

Check your wiring so that it is like the wiring diagram. Use an ohmmeter to do basic troubleshooting.
If your generator motors when you ground the housing and the "F" terminal, the generator can't be wired as above. The field would have zero volts applied and in no way would be able to "motor".

John M.