This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Clutch break down on ’49 F-Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Flemmingth
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: DK6818
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Clutch break down on ’49 F-Cub

Postby Flemmingth » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:37 am

A nice day in the woods, cutting down unwanted trees and making firewood, ended discouraging.
When I left for home with a good load on the trailer behind the Cub, the clutch gave up.
Impossible to get it in any gear, so I had to leave the tractor and walk, little less than ½ mile.
Next day our good neighbor came with his Deutz and pulled Cub and trailer back home.
When I took the TOB apart, I found that the bearing is an ordinary ball bearing (6008RS), not at intended for axial forces. Looks a little strange. The TOB retainer has the original part no. embossed in the casting, but no holes for grease zerk and grease release. And maybe a PO (without knowledge about bearings) has replaced a ruined roller bearing with the ordinary ball bearing ? ? Whatever ? ?
Among other things, I’ve ordered new pressure plate and TOB at TM, and expect delivery Dec. 22nd.
Edit: New TOB is praphite style.

Split.jpg
PP.jpg
TOB1.jpg
TOB2.jpg
Best regards
Flemming Thomsen

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Re: Clutch break down on ’49 F-Cub

Postby Rick Spivey » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:17 am

Almost looks like someone mounted the TO bearing in the old graphite style housing....
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:16 am

Flemming,
When you get the new graphite TOB, soak it in some SAE30 oil for a few days. Put it in the sun or even a small toaster oven to really get the graphite saturated with oil. Then, use the least expensive non-synthetic grease you can find in Denmark to fill the TOB cavity till it comes out the overfill hole opposite the grease zerk. You want the oil in the grease to leach into the graphite. A dry TOB will heat up. The clutch fingers won’t slip on the surface of the graphite, eventually chatter and then the TOB starts breaking apart.
Here’s an example of a brand new TOB that was installed dry, with the wrong type of grease, and even if it were the correct grease, not filled to overflowing.
44689CE2-07AB-415F-B8AA-01B7064208D6.jpeg
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Flemmingth
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Flemmingth » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:54 pm

Rick Spivey wrote:Almost looks like someone mounted the TO bearing in the old graphite style housing....

Right - but the housing isn't old style, because it's missing the holes for grease zerk and grease release. Looks like it's designed for bearing, but equipped with wrong type of bearing. Axial pressure to an ordinary ball bearing will create increased friction, which means that the TOB will grind on the fingers until the force from the pedal is strong enough, and the TOB inner ring starts rotating with the pressure plate speed.
Best regards
Flemming Thomsen

Flemmingth
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Flemmingth » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:49 am

Peter Person wrote:Flemming,
When you get the new graphite TOB, soak it in some SAE30 oil for a few days. Put it in the sun or even a small toaster oven to really get the graphite saturated with oil. Then, use the least expensive non-synthetic grease you can find in Denmark to fill the TOB cavity till it comes out the overfill hole opposite the grease zerk. You want the oil in the grease to leach into the graphite. A dry TOB will heat up. The clutch fingers won’t slip on the surface of the graphite, eventually chatter and then the TOB starts breaking apart.
Here’s an example of a brand new TOB that was installed dry, with the wrong type of grease, and even if it were the correct grease, not filled to overflowing.
44689CE2-07AB-415F-B8AA-01B7064208D6.jpeg

Hi Peter,
Thanks a lot for the advices, and especially for the pic.
It shows very well, that a few strokes with a grease gun is far from enough.
The TOB will be lubed and greased according to all the rules of art - as well as your advices.
Best regards
Flemming Thomsen

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:25 am

I would alter the order of steps to lube the TOB that Peter suggested. Put the grease (cheapest you can find) in first, soak the TOB in oil, place the TOB on a small pan in a toaster oven (graphite face down to let gravity work for you on the grease) and heat it up.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:55 am

Bill Hudson wrote:I would alter the order of steps to lube the TOB that Peter suggested. Put the grease (cheapest you can find) in first, soak the TOB in oil, place the TOB on a small pan in a toaster oven (graphite face down to let gravity work for you on the grease) and heat it up.

Bill

:Dito: :hattip:
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:49 am

I suspect that Flemming's ball bearing was made/sold by someone that got their holder from the same source used by the aftermarket graphite bearing manufacturer. Thus their holder has the IH part number. But since they were going to insert a sealed bearing, they didn't bother to drill for the fitting and relief hole.

On the question of greasing before or after soaking in oil, it occurs to me the most complete option would probably be to remove the grease fitting and squirt it full of oil, then soak it. Either soak it face down or be sure it is in enough oil for complete submersion. After letting it soak a few days, reinstall the grease fitting and pump it full of grease (expecting it to push oil out the relief hole).

Whichever way you soak it, at installation time put a light coating of lubricant on the face of the graphite and the contact areas of the fingers. No point putting much there as it would just be thrown off anyway. I used grease but suppose a case can be made for using oil. I would do the same if I decided to use one of the ball bearings.

Flemmingth
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Flemmingth » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:38 am

TOB is received and now soaking in SAE30 motoroil, after I removed the zerk and filled the void.
When my patience runs out, the TOB void will be pumped full of grease, and the tractor assembled.
And of course PP finger heights and pedal free play will be adjusted acc. to HOW TO section.
Thanks for all the advices and comments, and a happy New Year to all of you.
Best regards
Flemming Thomsen