This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Seat or other safety switch

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
feg7846
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31031
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub
1969 Cub
1986 Kubota 38

Seat or other safety switch

Postby feg7846 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:37 pm

There is probably a thread about this somewhere, but I did not find it on a quick search.
I am 75 years old and garden with my favorite tractor ever, my 1969 farmall cub. I have always had a fear of working on the side of my cub with the throttle somewhat open and having the cub, for whatever reason, jump into gear and running me down because I am not quick enough to get out of the way. Anybody else out there ever had this same feeling. Also, falling out of my seat backwards and having the implement get me.......
Guess I am just a scared old man. BUT, I had a very good friend that was bush hogging with an older John Deere tractor, that did not have any safety switches, and was knocked out of his seat by a low hanging limb. He fell backwards and under the bush hog. Awful sight that I will never forget.
And, I know we all say, well, just think about what you are doing and nothing will happen. At 75, my mind does not work like it used to. Don't plan on giving up gardening and not riding my little buddy, but would like some input from my fellow cub owners on safety measures if possible.

Thank you my many friends.... :tractor:

MiCarl
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48154
Tractors Owned: 2021 RK25 "Barbie"
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub (SOLD)
1994 Speedex 1631
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Seat or other safety switch

Postby MiCarl » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:25 pm

Boats and watercraft use a kill switch with a lanyard attached to the operator. If the operator falls off it kills the engine. You could wire one in series with your ignition switch and attach it to you when you're on the tractor so if you came off for some reason the tractor would shut off.

BOAT SAFETY KILL SWITCH
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:31 pm

A dead man's switch might also be something to consider. I'd have to think about where you would attach it to both be convenient and effective.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:55 pm

The subject has been mentioned a few times. This is the only thread I know of where it was discussed to any great length.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18072

There are some options that have merit. I don't think any of them has much chance of saving someone from the bush hog accident you described. Even with the ignition cut off, inertia would have probably kept everything moving long enough to be serious or fatal.

feg7846
10+ Years
10+ Years
1969 Cub
1986 Kubota 38

Postby feg7846 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:17 pm

Thank you, my friends. Wanted to look into this before spring gets here. Thank you so very much for your suggestions.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:28 pm

Jim Becker wrote:The subject has been mentioned a few times. This is the only thread I know of where it was discussed to any great length.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18072

There are some options that have merit. I don't think any of them has much chance of saving someone from the bush hog accident you described. Even with the ignition cut off, inertia would have probably kept everything moving long enough to be serious or fatal.

I was thinking along the same lines. Inertia would propel it forward a few more feet easily especially if the tractor did not have an overrun clutch it would go for a good ways till the blades slowed up.x

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:31 pm

If falling off backward or sideways is a true serious concern you could always spend a few thousand and get a different tractor. You don't have to get rid of the Cub. But I have an older YM Yanmar. They can be had for around $2000-4000 in a similar size and ability as the Cub. I am contained between the fenders and have a seat back ROPS and the steering wheel is close in front of me. It would not be impossible to fall out of it but much harder than falling off would be on a Cub, perched way up on the seat.

Ky Cub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 41094

Postby Ky Cub » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:08 pm

How about adding a deluxe seat and a seat belt system.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:10 pm

Hi,
Usually the engine is off, not running, when working on the Cub, on either side of it.
Set the parking brake, or brake lock, when running the engine in neutral.
Adjust the brakes so the lock holds well when on, if it doesn't hold the Cub in position well.
The brake lock can get rusted in position if never used, free it up with penetrating oil so it moves up and down sort of easily. It can't be too easy moving, it can fall down by itself when using the Cub.

The brake pedals are supposed to have 7/8" of free play at the top of their travel, measured at the surface where your foot goes, the Cub service manual says.
The 2 brakes should apply evenly, when the 2 pedals are locked together.

A Cub in the original condition shifts sort of hard into every gear, they don't shift into gear by themselves that I have ever seen.
If the shifter parts are worn so the lever moves easy into one or more gears, it needs repair.
You don't need to fear the Cub.
People do need to feel good enough to drive it and not fall off of it though.
Last edited by Glen on Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:12 pm

Ky Cub wrote:How about adding a deluxe seat and a seat belt system.
I don't think that's a good idea without a ROPS. It eliminates any chance of being thrown clear if the cub rolls or rears.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:31 am

I think the deluxe seat has merit, in this situation, certainly not the seat belt. The dead man switch might work, would have to think about just how it would be implemented to be effective.

feg7846
10+ Years
10+ Years
1969 Cub
1986 Kubota 38

Postby feg7846 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:23 am

Thank you my many friends. Never really thought about setting the brakes. Very good idea. Will have to give it a try and see how it works.

Thanks to all...

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:03 pm

I don’t think there is much danger of it shifting in to gear while running in neutral. I could see ways how it *could* happen... you reach across the tractor to get something and your sleeve catches the gearshift or something similar. I don’t *think* you could actually force a stationary gear to mesh with a spinning one, though.
It would be an interesting, if painful and cringe-worthy, experiment to try if someone has a transmission that is already toast and is getting ready to swap it out. I don’t think I could stomach it.

What you definitely do have cautious of, though, is starting the engine in gear while standing next to the tractor. Always make it a habit to check you’re in neutral before starting. Any of the additional safety switches mentioned would be a good addition to this. The later Cubs had a clutch switch, so you couldn’t start it without pushing in the clutch.

The “habit” thing is all well and good, but I have had it fail on me once or twice. Just about done with a project, daylight fading, and I run out of gas. Frustrated, go get the gas can. Put some in. Climb aboard. Start it, and oops, it was still in gear from when it died. In my rush to just finish up that last bit of work, I forgot to check. Don’t rush!
It will start, in second, even with an earth-engaging implement attached (grader, harrow, maybe even plow?), so it will surely have the oomph to climb over your body if you are in the wrong spot. And if you’re on the ground, and can reach to start it, then you are definitely in the *wrong spot*!

Long story short, I think this is a worthwhile idea you are pursuing, and I am looking forward to see what your ultimate solution is going to be.