This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tire valve questions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Nelson 634
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22958
Tractors Owned: 5 Cubs
1952 100
1960 460 Utility

Re: Tire valve questions

Postby Nelson 634 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:13 am

I love the low tech bead breaker. Thanks for the picture. I have added it to my picture file.
Walter

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:43 am

Cheapest thing to do is toss the old contaminated tubes and put in new ones.---- the old ones will give you continuous leaking problems----been there done that. Once I tackle one of them its new all the way as there is no other way. --- Sad that people put this crap in tires since it serves no useful purpose and only destroys tires. If they think they need more weight , ( which I dont want),---that is what cast iron wheel weights are for, plus they can be removed without damage to tires.

I think you will find your tubes too far gone to save. when you try to remove the water valve---you will tear the tubes. Stick on patch stems will not last on tubes that had cal. in them----cal destroys the tubes makin them non-fixable.
You can try to remove/replace the stems---your tubes---your time/money.---might get lucky!lol!

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Clemsonfor » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:19 pm

xbartx wrote:I need to resolve my leaking rear tires. They are filled with liquid and have caused corrosion on the rims that I also need to work on.
I'm guessing it is an issue with the valves and not the tubes. Are there replacements available? Can these be replaced without taking the tire and tube off, if so how?

tire valve 1.jpg

tire valve 2.jpg

This I'm sure has been answered, but the valve is part of the tube. The whole thing needs to be replaced.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:33 pm

Weight helps a tractor amazingly. It's unsprung weight and it's below the center of gravity Which helps stability and also traction. If you have ever used a tractor pulling a blade or disk or something ground engaging without weight and then with weight. There is a huge difference.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:34 pm

Clemsonfor wrote:This I'm sure has been answered, but the valve is part of the tube. The whole thing needs to be replaced.
Yes. Look up tractor valve stem replacement.

But as previously stated, tubes are usually not worth repairing. And from experience the stem patch doesn't always hold/work.
I have an excuse. CRS.

xbartx
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 97504
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub

Postby xbartx » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:43 am

I have unmounted the worst of the two wheels and successfully removed the tire from the rim. I think that the rim is structurally sound and I can deal with the rust. I will replace both tubes with new ones and just use air in them, I have wheel weights on the tractor.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:50 pm

xbartx wrote:I have unmounted the worst of the two wheels and successfully removed the tire from the rim. I think that the rim is structurally sound and I can deal with the rust. I will replace both tubes with new ones and just use air in them, I have wheel weights on the tractor.

While it's off wire brush and paint that rim, use a good rust converter first.