This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rear tire thoughts and feelings

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Longtree
Zip Code: 07421
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub (#69655)

Rear tire thoughts and feelings

Postby Longtree » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:14 am

Hey all - I'm sitting here watching the snow fall and thinking about spring when I hope warm, dry weather will mean I can put some more work into my cub. It's been neglected for many years (not by me!) and the rear tires are cracked and one's gone flat, rim is rusted through, etc. Looking around on the net for some options to replace the tires come spring when hopefully I've been able to put a couple hundred $ aside over the winter.

I'm just a guy in NJ with half an acre of grass and a little gravel drive, I dont plan to do any "serious" work with my cub - I just bought it because I love the look of it and I wanted a project to learn about mechanical stuff and I love old things. That said, I want to keep Ag tires on it....would like for it to look as "original" as possible, but I dont plan to restore it or put it any shows or anything. Right now it has BF Goodrich "Silvertown" 8.3-24 on it and they're nice looking, but dont exist anymore it seems.

Wondering what insight any of you might have into tires for the casual owner who likes an original aesthetic and probably will only buy these 2 rear tires to last the rest of his life ;)

Anything (or brand) to avoid? Any insight is welcome - just curious to hear what the group thinks! Thanks :)

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Rear tire thoughts and feelings

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:25 am

I would put add on here for used tires. Lots of folks change to turf tires to keep from tearing up their grass. If you can’t find used tires look locally to save the shipping cost.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60102
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub purchased 1960
'59 International Lo-Boy purchased 1987
'48 Ford 8N family owned since new

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'
Prewitt post hole digger with mounts for Cub and Ford
Grading and leveling blade with snow ext and hydraulic angle

Postby Gary S. » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:08 am

I'm in a similar spot- original tires and 1 rim are in sad shape. Mine are filled and won't do that again so weights are needed as well. 20 years ago we were in the same spot with the Ford so dad got new rims and Ag tires. After driving it around our hilly property we decided that the Ag's were a poor choice should have bought turf. Every time you step on the brakes those sharp treads tear up the grass like a skinning knife. My big problem if you call it one- is that the '49 is mostly used for plowing snow, I now spend my winters in Florida.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:00 am

The rusted through rim should be either repaired or replaced.

There are products to make tire cracks more presentable.

My opinion, if the tires are still usable, use them.
I have an excuse. CRS.

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:59 am

I would keep an open mind about turf tires. For your situation, they are more practical. Here is a post about turf tires viewtopic.php?f=1&t=106764&hilit=tires

If you like the tires you have can take the rims to a truck tire place and have a tubes put in them.

As for rims UPS to your door. $85 each a few years ago.

Aaron wenger
717-656-9876
Wenger systems
264 voganville rd
new holland pa
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Longtree

Postby Longtree » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:53 pm

Mike in Louisiana wrote:I would put add on here for used tires. Lots of folks change to turf tires to keep from tearing up their grass. If you can’t find used tires look locally to save the shipping cost.

Thanks Mike.....Have thought about used - I'm not in a very farm-centric area though, so anywhere I have found has been a pretty respectable drive. If I find a good deal I'd be open to it, though. Got months to look around while the snow piles up ;)

Longtree

Postby Longtree » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:56 pm

Gary S. wrote:I'm in a similar spot- original tires and 1 rim are in sad shape. Mine are filled and won't do that again so weights are needed as well. 20 years ago we were in the same spot with the Ford so dad got new rims and Ag tires. After driving it around our hilly property we decided that the Ag's were a poor choice should have bought turf. Every time you step on the brakes those sharp treads tear up the grass like a skinning knife. My big problem if you call it one- is that the '49 is mostly used for plowing snow, I now spend my winters in Florida.

Gary - mine are filled too. Thats why the one rim rotted out - tube must have burst inside - it's pretty ugly. The other looks alright so far. My property is very level, so hilly terrain and all isnt going to be an issue fortunately or I guess I would be re-seeding pretty often ;). Was hoping to get mine ready to plow some snow this winter but the hydraulics are all frozen up (another winter project for me)...just bought mine in May from a local guy who was using it as lawn decor....it's been a road getting it to run and look halfways decent again. Fun :)

Longtree

Postby Longtree » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:00 pm

Eugene wrote:The rusted through rim should be either repaired or replaced.

There are products to make tire cracks more presentable.

My opinion, if the tires are still usable, use them.

Eugene - thanks - I actually bought a really nice used original rim over the summer - just need to save up some time and money to get the poor old disaster it's replacing OFF and try mounting whatever tire and tube I end up with on the replacement.

I definitely dont' mind WEAR (if I did, I'd have to replace the whole tractor haha :)) but my tires (at least the RH one) are pretty far gone I think. Maybe once I wrestle the poor thing off the rotted rim it'll be better than I thought, but I'm not hopeful :/.

Longtree

Postby Longtree » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:05 pm

inairam wrote:I would keep an open mind about turf tires. For your situation, they are more practical. Here is a post about turf tires viewtopic.php?f=1&t=106764&hilit=tires

If you like the tires you have can take the rims to a truck tire place and have a tubes put in them.

As for rims UPS to your door. $85 each a few years ago.

Aaron wenger
717-656-9876
Wenger systems
264 voganville rd
new holland pa

Hi inairam - thanks for the info. I realize that turf would likely be more practical for what I intend to do with my cub, but I bought her more for the way she looks than a practical need. now that I have her there're a bunch of things I have realized I can do on my little piece of property (plow snow, tow a trailer, mow, etc) but she's really more of just a fun, cool looking toy for me, so I'd rather try to keep with as much "original" as I can. And as far as the rotted rim - I tracked down / bought a nice used original rim - just need to paint it and get new rubber on it / in it :). Thanks though!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:19 pm

PM sent.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:37 pm

Longtree wrote:. . . I actually bought a really nice used original rim over the summer . . .

Check the rim width against your "keeper" on the other side. You don't want to end up with mismatched sizes.

Longtree

Postby Longtree » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:52 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
Longtree wrote:. . . I actually bought a really nice used original rim over the summer . . .

Check the rim width against your "keeper" on the other side. You don't want to end up with mismatched sizes.

Jim - yes - good call. Actually when I got the "new" one home I briefly panicked because it looked bigger! ...but calipers say its a match. ::whew:: Thanks!

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:34 pm

Hi,
The rim for a 8 x 24, or more modern 8.3 x 24 tire was the 351428R91 rim, they are 7" wide.

Below is a page from the Cub parts manual, showing the different rims they used. There are narrower rims for narrower tires.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 015-03.jpg

Below is a pic of the marking in a Cub rim, it has the date when it was made also, to the left of the size. :)
Attachments
Cub wheel 7.jpg
Cub wheel 7.jpg (14.75 KiB) Viewed 641 times

MiCarl
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48154
Tractors Owned: 2021 RK25 "Barbie"
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub (SOLD)
1994 Speedex 1631

Postby MiCarl » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:48 pm

Post some pictures of the tire. They may be way better than you think. Unless they crack through to the tube they should continue working just fine.

I bought a Farmall H last fall. The rear tires have cracks that would fit a number 2 pencil. They've been just fine for a year now.
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:02 pm

Ditto. I have significant cracks in my working tractor tires and one with a large flap cut in the side wall. No sense purchasing new tires when the old ones still hold air. And, a new tire could easily get a cut ending it's useful live as a tractor tire.
I have an excuse. CRS.