This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Just picked up a 1974

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.
Circle of Safety: Y

Just picked up a 1974

Postby Crimson Tim » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:00 pm

I just had the good fortune to pick up a 1974 Cub. It is a non-runner, but looks great from 10’ away. Closer to, there are a few foibles, but I don’t think it will take much to get it going. Engine is free. There are a few surprises here and there, like a lot of fastener substitutions, washer spacers, and things like all the wire ties/cotter pins securing the throttle to governor to carb linkage are missing. But then, that’s the fun of a new tractor, right? The detective work of tracking down the random things that might be awry and setting them right?

I haven’t had a chance to do much with it yet except look over it. The fuel that is in it is obviously stale, so changing that out and cleaning the fuel system will be the first step. And priming the oil pump, as it has sat for a while. Then we will go from there.

3C184B1D-FD04-4AEA-A26E-6D52F1F6B66F.jpeg

Are those the right front tires? They look enormous to me. But then the Cubs I already have have an odd assortment of trailer, car and bicycle tires, so I’m sure my eye is off. Not really bicycle tires, but the 3”x12” tires from the 1951 do look tiny.

A19A935B-A746-4C30-BEF4-132871AFD08C.jpeg

When did IH switch to the Zenith? I would have though it was before this, but this is clearly the smaller, older style manifold. I did a search this morning, but didn’t find that info.

BB5ACC13-72A5-4FB3-835A-8E334AB78C6E.jpeg

There’s an actual tool box included (not mounted, but first I’ve seen in person), no battery box, custom PTO and choke levers. PTO does feel like it functions ok.

2031200A-47EB-446A-89C0-2D83134141FD.jpeg

Is this the ignition system a ‘74 should have? These look like factory bits, but they probably didn’t come from the factory sticking out the side of the tractor, if I had to guess.

EBB09F05-0F52-4141-8806-5A24C11CD04E.jpeg

0E738D90-BEFB-4970-8E7C-4358A263842D.jpeg

Generally, great condition, but was surprised to see some rust through on the hood.
Last edited by Crimson Tim on Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Re: Just picked up a 1974

Postby Crimson Tim » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:08 pm

4B087F56-66E0-4227-A4BE-19D0ACE19F5B.jpeg

What’s this? Some sort of repair or reinforcement on the governor arm? That’s curious. Will keep an eye on that to see how it behaves and might just replace it and the spring as a matter of course.

61124809-B57F-4825-BC98-C3E3164C694A.jpeg

Glad I noticed that before I started driving this around. It’s about ready to drop the tie rods off.

All in all, I am super pleased. I was looking for a mower that could handle some heavier stuff than the woods 59 I currently have, and this one is in great condition and has both the overrunning clutch and one brake that functions very well. What luxury! I will finally be able to stop shorter than a fully laden locomotive!

It came with headlights that are not Cub lights, but they are Cub-ish. Not sure yet if I will mount those or if I will look for the right ones to put on there. I feel a Cub is not fully dressed without his googly eye stalks on there.
Last edited by Crimson Tim on Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BSR
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BSR » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:11 pm

They switched to Zenith Carb in mid year of 1975. When they went to the LONGSTRIPE.

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:49 pm

Tim,
South Florida salty air? A few hurricanes in its' life?
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:25 pm

Hi,
Nice looking Cub.

You didn't say the size of the front tires. It looks like it has the 4 x 15" wheels and tires.
They were available extra cost when it was new.
They are shown in the 1965 Cub operator's manual.
The wheels look like the original style.

4 x 12" was standard. Probably some of your other Cubs have those.

Below is a page from the 1965 Cub operator's manual showing the front tire sizes, in the table at the lower right of the page.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-49.jpg

A 1974 Cub still had the IH carburetor.
IH changed to the Zenith at Cub serial number 248125, the first Longstripe Cub.

The ignition parts you asked about look original, from what I can see in the pic.
It should have a Battery Ignition unit, and the voltage regulator is correct, on the mounting plate.
The wiring is hanging down, and not in the clips under the edge of the hood.

Below is a page from the 1965 Cub operator's manual, showing the 12 volt electrical system with the hood off, in the upper pic on the page.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-26.jpg

The manual cover has a pic of a Cub, showing the wiring in the right routing, none is hanging down.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... ge-001.jpg

Below is a page from the Cub parts manual showing the wiring routing for a 1974 Cub, if you need it. :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 008-35.jpg

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:05 pm

That wire that's looped way outside like that can be routed under that regulator so that it doesn't loop like that. The route it takes in that direction will make it point out like that.

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

Postby Crimson Tim » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:01 pm

Peter Person wrote:Tim,
South Florida salty air? A few hurricanes in its' life?

Hurricanes, definitely, though I think it has lived inside for the most part. I picked it up from the first owner, or maybe son of first owner is more accurate. He’s inland of Tampa now, but I think he said he’s from Homestead, so the salt air is definitely a possibility. The salt is not at all bad in the middle where I am, but it is brutal on the coast.

Glen wrote:
You didn't say the size of the front tires. It looks like it has the 4 x 15" wheels and tires.

IH changed to the Zenith at Cub serial number 248125, the first Longstripe Cub.

The ignition parts you asked about look original, from what I can see in the pic.
It should have a Battery Ignition unit, and the voltage regulator is correct, on the mounting plate.
The wiring is hanging down, and not in the clips under the edge of the hood.

I haven’t checked the label, yet, but I bet you are right about the tires.

Serial number is 243-something, if I recall. The engine date code was X, which is right for ‘74.

From some angles, it looks like the coil and regulator are pretty exposed out the side of the hood. From other angles, it looks not all that odd. It sounds like it’s just the loose wires making it look worse than it actually is. So that should mean less to correct. :{_}:

Thanks for your input!

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

Postby Crimson Tim » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:11 pm

Yes, you were right on the front wheels: 4”x15”.

A couple other fun things about this one.
There is both a brand spanking new wiring harness and also lots of old wires cut off.

The key ignition switch guts fell out when I turned the key the first time. I *think* all bits are present, but I haven’t figured out the correct orientation of the spring and other things in there that will allow it to function right even if I get it crimped back together solidly. If anybody has any guidance on that, it would be nice to reassemble this one, otherwise, I’ll just buy one.

This Cub was obviously switched from the IH carb to the Zenith. If you push the oil filler cap in all the way, it hits the carb. So I don’t know if it *is* in all the way. Maybe if I loosen and retighten the bolts to the manifold, I can get a little more room. If that’s not enough clearance, I guess the only other option is to bend the oil filler tube away?

Still have to clean out the fuel system. The gas that’s still in there looks and smells plenty stale.

I got a better oil can, so have the perfect tool for priming the oil pump now. I have hopes of being able to try starting at some point over the holidays.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:24 pm

Crimson Tim wrote:. . . This Cub was obviously switched from the IH carb to the Zenith. If you push the oil filler cap in all the way, it hits the carb. . . .

That was a pretty tight fit, even on the Cubs that came with the Zenith carb. The tube for the oil filler has a bend in it that should turn towards vertical. It it is turned a little to the left, it gets closer to the carb. You might see if you can turn yours a little to the right and see if that picks up enough clearance to put the cap on.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:51 pm

Photo courtesy TM Tractor Parts

It’s rather thin tubing. Be careful not to crush or crimp it while rotating.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

Postby Crimson Tim » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:31 am

Almost a year later (where does the time go?!), and I am finally getting some time to work on this tractor.
Actually, my hand was forced. The woods 59 on my working Cub locked up a bearing, so I have nothing to mow with. In high summer. In Florida. I need to either get this Cub running or swap the mowers before the grass gets any deeper.

I’ve got a new switch in there, and fixed some wiring issues, so I think I’m good there now.

The verdict so far: no spark. Anywhere, even right up to the coil. I was trying to collect parts and tools before the weekend, and Napa let me down. I did get a coil (Echlin IC14), but they did not have a condenser or points file. The points installed look good, but I know they can glaze over from sitting. I did try to clean them with some heavy paper, but didn’t get anywhere with that.
Is there anything special about a points file other than the small size? Is there any reason I can’t just pull the points and file them with a standard flat hand file?

I’ve also heard new points can have a coating that interferes with function. If I put the new ones in, should I hit those with a file or clean them with something? Acetone? What about the rotor?

The only place I could find a condenser on short notice was actually Tractor Supply. I remember reading on here that some parts from TSC are consistently junk and not even bothering with, while others are fine. I don’t remember *which* parts were troublesome. Of course, when I did a search on here, I couldn’t find much,. Just a single mention of a carb rebuild kit being a problem. So before I open this TSC ignition kit, was this the one with junk that I should just return, or was it something else people were having trouble with?

E5CCDD89-4B44-49E7-A1AD-06A9BDD31F8A.jpeg

A7AAF96C-3F02-4BEE-8E78-A399E134AF67.jpeg

Is there a way to test coil and condenser to see if they are good or bad, or should I just replace everything?
After it’s running, I can swap old parts back in one at a time to see if they are worth saving as known-good spares, I suppose.

I find the rust on this Cub strange. it’s probably due to poor prep work for poor repainting. So many parts of this tractor really look quite good and rust-free, but then right next to that will be a patch of badly blistered paint and rust-through. On the same part, so it’s not from swapping parts. Definitely not the even veneer of weathering I’m used to.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:45 pm

The biggest problem part from TSC seems to be the carb kit. Second place is probably the strainer and sediment bowl assembly for under the fuel tank. I haven't seen much complaint about the other parts they have. As with many of the parts available today, TSC is only one seller of many that are selling identical parts.

Note your tune up kit says "VENDOR# ATK5BIR". Try a google search for "ATK5BIR" and see how many places sell the identical package (with a different paper insert).

Once removed, you should be able to clean up your points with any flat file. Just go gently to only remove a minimum of material and maintain a square face. If your new points come with a coating, something like acetone on a rag would probably take it off. If not coated, they may have some oxidation to remove, which might respond better to a very light touch with a file. I am working from a stash of old stock parts and only give them a wipe with a clean cloth. That seems to work for me, but may not be adequate for newer import parts.

There are procedures and equipment for testing coils and condensers. For most people, the easiest way to test them is to try running them.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:50 pm

Hi,
I've seen pics on here of yellow and white Cubs that have rust patches, I think it is sort of common for them.
Some are big patches, several inches across.

Some of them might start from where someone scratched the paint years before, down through it, then the Cub sits outside in the rain, and rust begins, the rust spreads, and the paint comes loose and falls off. Just a guess. :)

Greenthumbfarms
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 60450
Tractors Owned: 1974 Cub Cadet 1450
1977 Cub Cadet 1650

1950 Farmall Cub (Georgette)
1950 Allis Chalmers WD (Allis)
1956 Farmall 230 (Gladys)
1959 Farmall 240 Utility (Heather)
1962 John Deere 4010 Gas with No.45 Loader (Pearl)
1966 John Deere 4020 Deisel (Jack)
1975 International Cub (Ozzie)

Postby Greenthumbfarms » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:58 pm

The white paint on cubs never seemed as durable as red to me. My yellow and white cub had the radiator boil over twice in a previous life and it permanently scarred the paint.
Secretary with Will County Threshermens Association (Will County, Illinois)
62nd Annual Will County Threshermens gas and steam tractor show July 18-21, 2024 featuring JI Case Steam and gas tractors. All makes welcome
https://www.steamshow.org/

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

Postby Crimson Tim » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:19 pm

Can someone remind me where the alternative locations are for priming the oil pump? The cap on the oil filter seems to be glued down hard. I don’t think I can get it off without destroying the gasket, and I do not have any spares on hand.

On the plus side, the oil seems to be brand new. It must have been changed since it last ran.

Also, the hydraulics appear to be in good shape. It’s been sitting with the mower deck up for at least a year. I thought it was hanging on a passive support chain, but no, that wasn’t attached. Just the hydraulics. When I cranked it a bit to look for spark, the deck moved down readily.