This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Will a tow behind leaf vacuum work w/59" woods

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rick 48 cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Will a tow behind leaf vacuum work w/59" woods

Postby rick 48 cub » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:09 pm

Happy almost fall!

My neighbor is selling his Agri-Fab leaf vacuum with 7hp gas motor that works with his John Deere(!) compact tractor. My woods is a three spindle belly mower that is open on right and left sides. I think my woods mostly discharges to the right. I am concerned that my woods is designed to discharge in every direction so this leaf vacuum would not work well. Maybe if I made a cover for the left side of my woods? What do you think? Thanks, Rick
Rick 1948 cub

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Will a tow behind leaf vacuum work w/59" woods

Postby Glen » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:00 pm

Hi,
Woods made shields for the right, or left sides of the 59 mower.

Below are pages from the Woods 59C-2 owner's manual showing them.
The 2nd page has the part numbers, the left side shield is number 39 in the pic.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-08.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-09.jpg

The mower I had came with shields for both sides, I don't know if all years of them did or not.

Below is the whole manual, if you need it.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

My opinion is the front and rear of the mower don't go down far enough to keep all the grass in the mower, the way modern lawn mowers do, so all the grass goes out the side.
I'm not sure how well it will work with a vacuum. :)
Last edited by Glen on Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:31 pm

A friend of mine had adapted a Kubota mower deck, of comparable size to Woods 59, to work on his Cub while using a leaf vacuum. It worked well to the tune of 50 loads of leaves was a poor crop. 70+ loads was a typical year (he kept track of the loads each year right on the machine). Block off the left exit as mentioned and you should be good to go.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

rick 48 cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rick 48 cub » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:35 pm

It is interesting the left cover is flat while the right has a curved surface. Also, it looks like the right hand has an optional chute. From the first link.

Thanks!
Rick 1948 cub

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:02 pm

I h
Was given a ride on mower with a bagger attachment. I thought it might be pretty cool to use. The mower needed a key switch a solonoid and some welding on the deck. I did all that and thought I might keep it for use at my house. I quickly realized a bagger is either a novelty or for city yards. I dumped that thing about 2x after just cutting a small and I mean SMALL portion of my yard. My whole lot is only just under an acre and it's not all grass , I have a house, sheds, gravel etc. I literally only cut like the back corner of my yard. I pulled that thing off and just cut normal. I sold that thing about a week later and put that money toward something else. I could not imagine sucking up leaves with a bagger thing!!!

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:12 pm

Hi,
Clemsonfor, below is a post from the Similar Topics at the bottom of the page, that were here when I looked.
The bottom pics on the page show the style of machine I think they are talking about above.
They are like a trailer that you pull behind the tractor, and it has a 1 cylinder engine on the tongue that generates wind.
Many brands of new mowers sell them, I think.

It is not a rear bagger, that goes on the rear of the mower.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=104084

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60102
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub purchased 1960
'59 International Lo-Boy purchased 1987
'48 Ford 8N family owned since new

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'
Prewitt post hole digger with mounts for Cub and Ford
Grading and leveling blade with snow ext and hydraulic angle

Postby Gary S. » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:16 pm

I bet it would work. Many years ago I had a Toro rider that came with the house. It had a rear mounted bagger. The chute would clog up but then I would use it as a mulcher making one complete pass through the whole yard,then clean out the chute. The leaves then being chopped up and smaller would vacuum right up,worked great. I'd bet the Cub would work the same,cut the yard with all blanking plates in place, then mount up the vacuum and make your final pass. Gives you some seat time and no raking. Right now I don't bother to pick up but just make 2 complete mowings. All the leaves are then chopped up so fine I don't bother picking them up. I would like to try Woods mulcher attachments but they are crazy money. I only have two oak trees they are the hardest to chop up. All my others are linden,maple,walnut and locust trees which are easy soft leaves

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:36 am

Glen wrote:Hi,
Clemsonfor, below is a post from the Similar Topics at the bottom of the page, that were here when I looked.
The bottom pics on the page show the style of machine I think they are talking about above.
They are like a trailer that you pull behind the tractor, and it has a 1 cylinder engine on the tongue that generates wind.
Many brands of new mowers sell them, I think.

It is not a rear bagger, that goes on the rear of the mower.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=104084

I know exactly what he was talking about. But like of of the posters above me said his buddy vacs up between 50 and 70 loads a year. That's a lot of loads of anything to dump. I was just saying I don't want anything that I have to dump what it accumulates. But if the OP doest mind that I 100% believe he can make it work. You can either weld or bolt in covers over the open chutes in the deck to redirect the flow of debris.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:00 am

I once owned a trailer type AGRI FAB vac with a 5hp B&S engine with a radial fan attached to the CS output shaft, direct drive, that was designed to adapt to a riding mower. Worked well for collecting/mulching leaves. Later I towed it behind a 6ft grooming mower with the 6 inch suction hose adapted to the mower discharge. Still worked well but one major issue was the grooming mower was left side discharge and the hose connection for the vacuum was on the right side for a conventional lawn mower. The extra length hose that was needed to connect the suction to the mower presented additional plugging problems if there was a lot of leaves to be picked up. As noted above, mowing to mulch the leaves before vacuuming helped with the plugging problem. Pecan leaves, and lots of them. If you dispose of them distributed over an area to be plowed under they will need to be scattered. If you want to burn them, do it the same day they are picked up otherwise the finely chopped debris collects moisture and compacts to the point it's difficult to burn them. My experience FWIW!!
EDIT....Even though the trailer will dump, the mulched leaves would not completely empty out, I had to resort to raking them out of the cart/trailer with a large tine rake, (every load)!
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:25 am

I had a pull behind hooked to my cub for years. I did put the left side shield on and fabricated some curved metal under the 59 deck to direct all the grass to the right. I went to a local garden tractor junkyard and bought a couple metal shoots designed for grass vacuums. They make long ones and short ones. I bought the longer one and adapted it to the woods. I made it hinged so it would flip up when not in use. I can tell you first hand that pull behind setup worked excellent and left nothing behind. The neighbor bought a shorter shoot and we adapted it to his JD garden tractor and he used the vac system too. after using this a few years I acquired a 3 bag JD setup from my brother and direct hooked that to the cub. I had goats at the time and dumping the load of grass clippings gave the goats something to eat and play on. Later when I goats left, I switched to GATOR blades and just mulched everything. You'll end up with large amounts of grass and leaves over time.

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:34 am

Rick Prentice wrote:. Later when I goats left, I switched to GATOR blades and just mulched everything. You'll end up with large amounts of grass and leaves over time.

Rick

And this right here is another reason to think about when you remove grass and leaves from the site. Your removing nutrients and breaking up the nutrient recycling of the system, which in turn will deplete the site of resources. And if your doing this sort of thing to begin with you care about appearances so you will in turn need to increase or if not doing it now probably need to fertilize to maintain your same level of fertility.

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:41 am

This is the only pic I could find of either setup I used to have.
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:49 am

Rick Prentice wrote:This is the only pic I could find of either setup I used to have.

I should have bought that when I had the chance.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:09 am

Rick Prentice wrote:This is the only pic I could find of either setup I used to have.

I had two of those size bags if I remember right for that mower I am talking about. After a few hundred square feet of lawn I had to empty the bags. I didn't even cut 20% of my backyard before I took them off the second time to dump and I left them off for good then..

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657

Postby john2189 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:37 am

rick 48 cub wrote:It is interesting the left cover is flat while the right has a curved surface. Also, it looks like the right hand has an optional chute. From the first link.

Thanks!

It’s flat, but it has a baffle inside so grass won’t accumulate there
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower