This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mechanic needed

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Cook27
Zip Code: 71220

Mechanic needed

Postby Cook27 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:40 pm

I just bought myself a cub one of the yellow ones it runs good to say it sat for about 10 years in a barn I drained the tank pulled the card cleaned it replaced the gasket changed my spark plugs and cleaned the points all before cranking it got a hot battery and it fired off first try but only runs full choke and wont take any throttle I live in louisiana and its 100 degrees out on a cool day so I didnt expect to have to even choke it but it wont run otherwise is there anyone on here who works on these things (arkansas, mississippi, or louisiana id like to get it running good before spring

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Mechanic needed

Postby Barnyard » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:58 pm

Remove the metering jet on the side of the carb and run a thin copper wire through the orifice and then spray it with carb clean.

There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:15 pm

If Barnyard's suggestion doesn't solve the problem, you'll have to find where you have a fuel blockage. It could be crud in the tank, in the sediment bowl, the filter screen in the carb gas inlet, etc. If the main jet isn't clogged, start at one end and work the opposite direction until you have good gas flow into the carb.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Cook27

Postby Cook27 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:39 pm

Thanks for the fast response ill do this in just a few minutes and repost the result

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:04 pm

Did you prime the oil pump?
Sat for 10 years, all the oil has drained Into the pan.
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Cook27

Postby Cook27 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:07 pm

Alright I did as told and still same issue but this time I noticed if I spray starting fluid in the card it will open up with the choke wide open so I know its not getting the fuel but I have good fuel flow everywhere I think and also can I upload a video on here?

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:09 pm

Yes, you can upload a video. Disconnect the air hose and make sure that when you pull out the choke you are actually closing the butterfly and not vice versa. The choke lever can slip on the rod and cause the choke to work backwards.
-Albert Einstein

Cook27

Postby Cook27 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:20 pm

Everytime I try to upload a picture or the video it says invalid file but anyways the choke is working correctly I removed the glass bowl turned the valce on and its dumpimg fuel I put the glass back on and removed the fuel line its clean took the bowl plug out of my carb turned the fuel on amd watched it pour for a minute removed the meter jet used my tip cleaner ran it in it cleaned it out (again) put it back in cranked it up on full choke then eased the choke open got about half way before I got full throttle and it died I cranked it up again with in air hose off with starting fluid and kept it running at full open choke until I decided to write this and let yhall know what had happen could it be my float is set wrong

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Peter Person » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:25 pm

Float could be set wrong, needle could be sticking in the seat. Low idle speed could be off such that when you transition to full throttle it’s not responding. Governor linkage could be bound up.
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:26 pm

Yes, it could be the float. When you separate the halves, pull them straight apart or you'll break off the thin idle tube that is threaded into the top and extends into the bottom about 2". I'd suggest not using a tip cleaner too often or you'll change the diameter of the main jet hole. Also, remove the gas cap in case the vent holes are clogged.
-Albert Einstein

Cook27

Postby Cook27 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:32 pm

Ok thanks for all the advice but im calling it a day ill continue this project next weekend in the mean time if yhall know of a good mechanic around for tgese old tractors let me know

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Peter Person » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:52 pm

Between now and then, make use of the PDF Manuals under the Quick Links tab at the top left of the web page.
Also, some good stuff in the thread;
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91765

Circle of Safety

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:02 pm

Cook27 wrote:Ok thanks for all the advice but im calling it a day ill continue this project next weekend in the mean time if yhall know of a good mechanic around for tgese old tractors let me know

Several Forum members in the Bastrop (NE La, SW Ms) area. Maybe you could arrange for a minifest.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Jeff C
Zip Code: 32046

Postby Jeff C » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:46 pm

This may seem crazy to you sir but you did ask for advice and a mechanic. It is not uncommon for a gasoline engine to run very poorly or not at all but run better with the choke fully closed because it richens the mixture and severely so. The spark crossing the plug gap will cross a rich mixture simply because it is richer and therefore more dense than a lean mixture, which is almost all air and therefor less dense. The spark might be weak because the points contacts are rusty, dusty, crudded up in general or gapped incorrectly. They could even be severely misaligned in a Cub because one side of the points is adjustable in angle. Try cleaning the points with a small file and then gap them correctly. It just might fix your problem.

Cook27

Postby Cook27 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:04 pm

I originally asked for a mechanic but the advice followed I guess. On the other hand I have learned alot and appreciate the responses. I know my grammer or punctuation isnt all that proper. I needed help though and I got it