This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Oil types

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Oil types

Postby Clemsonfor » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:17 pm

I have looked before, but I don't remember a post nor could I find one in a quick search but could someone post a list of modern oils that are used. Like do y'all in the south still use SAE30 or are you useing 15w40. Final drives and rear end I see in the manual look like 90wt. What about steering box. I would use 90wt cause I don't have "worm drive lubricant or the IH lube like the owners manual says. What about transmission. Should I go get some Hy tran or just use "tractor transmission oil" like the generic JD303 fluids you see...I haven't even looked at the pail to see if it says meets the Hy tran requirements, but I would think it would. What about the touch control, what fluid are you useing in that, Hy trans or gear oil?

I'm going to dump fluids and while I know pretty much anything works, some works better suits certain applications better.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Oil types

Postby BigBill » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:49 pm

I use Mobil delvac 15/40wt in all my c60 engines. But in the snowplow c60 I use 10/30wt. In the colder weather. https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for ... lubricants.

I use a moly additive in engine and gear oils. Tsmoly

https://www.tsmoly.com/

Go by your owners manual too. Depending on the temps where you live.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:01 am

Use a multi weight. It wll als help with starting. Hytran is expensive. I only use it in the touch control. I use 90 weight in the trans and steering box.

Remember to clean the vent hole in the steering box fill plug. helps reduce the leaks in the steering shaft seal.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:28 am

There are generic lubricants that meet or are better than the IH recommendations from the 1950's and 60's.

Actually, current lubricants are better than the 1950's and later lubricants.

My suggestion, use the brand you currently have on hand or use.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:40 am

Here's what I use:

• Transmission, Rear Axle Finals, Steering Gearbox, Fan Assembly, Air Bath Intake: Traveller 80W-90 from Tractor Supply Co. (TSC)
  • Engine: Rotella T5, 15W-40 from O’Reilly’s
  • Touch Control: Case-IH Hy-Tran, or Traveller Premium Universal Tractor Trans/Hydraulic Fluid from TSC.
  • Magneto & Generator: Light oil
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:28 am

Eugene wrote:There are generic lubricants that meet or are better than the IH recommendations from the 1950's and 60's.

Actually, current lubricants are better than the 1950's and later lubricants.

My suggestion, use the brand you currently have on hand or use.

These are my exact thoughts. I just wanted to make sure that something in one of these oils would not eat or destroy something for some weird reason. But I agree, anything we have now will protect and be far more stable at all temps than what they had in the 50s.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:32 am

Stanton wrote:Here's what I use:

• Transmission, Rear Axle Finals, Steering Gearbox, Fan Assembly, Air Bath Intake: Traveller 80W-90 from Tractor Supply Co. (TSC)
  • Engine: Rotella T5, 15W-40 from O’Reilly’s
  • Touch Control: Case-IH Hy-Tran, or Traveller Premium Universal Tractor Trans/Hydraulic Fluid from TSC.
  • Magneto & Generator: Light oil

Thank you. These were exact same oils I had planned to use in those locations. Not exact brands in those locations. Like engine I am planning on useing Traveller 15w40 because it's still CJ rated and has higher zinc levels than most of the CK rated oils of all the big names. Will use whatever gear oil I have on hand, probably super tec. Think I have a gallon still on hand. And was planning on universal tractor trans fluid on the touch control.
Last edited by Clemsonfor on Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:17 am

Sounds like you have a great plan.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:40 pm

Hi,
The Cub operator's manual tells what oil to use wherever oil is needed on a Cub.
The manual says use motor oil in the fan hub, and the air cleaner oil cup.
Don't put gear oil in the fan hub, the oil has to flow easily in the fan hub, it has a lubrication system in it, they have said on here before.

Below is a page from the 1965 Cub and LoBoy operator's manual showing lubing the fan hub.
Read at Fan Hub Lubrication, it says use engine oil.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-24.jpg

Don't put thick oil in the air cleaner oil cup, the oil has to flow easily, so the engine can start and run.
The air goes through the oil standing in the oil cup when you start the engine.

Use Case IH Hy-Tran fluid, or other brand of fluid approved for IH hydraulic systems, for the Touch Control. Don't put gear oil in the Touch Control. Hy-Tran fluid is thin.
Below is a page from the 1965 Cub operator's manual, showing oils to use.
Starting in about 1958, and later, IH said to use Hy-Tran fluid in the transmission, and final drives.
Or you can use 90 wt gear oil, it says.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-64.jpg

If you have put gear oil in the fan hub, I would thin it down with motor oil, it may not get lube on the shaft in cold weather using gear oil. They have said on here before not to put thick oil in the fan hub. Put motor oil in the screw hole on the hub, like the manual says, then before draining it, put the screw in, and turn the engine over 20 times or so, then drain the excess oil out, like the manual says.
Then you could repeat that.
That should partially change the oil in the fan hub.
I use a pump oil can to put oil in the fan hub. :)

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:19 pm

Glen wrote:Hi,
The Cub operator's manual tells what oil to use wherever oil is needed on a Cub.
The manual says use motor oil in the fan hub, and the air cleaner oil cup.
Don't put gear oil in the fan hub, the oil has to flow easily in the fan hub, it has a lubrication system in it, they have said on here before.

Below is a page from the 1965 Cub and LoBoy operator's manual showing lubing the fan hub.
Read at Fan Hub Lubrication, it says use engine oil.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-24.jpg

Don't put thick oil in the air cleaner oil cup, the oil has to flow easily, so the engine can start and run.
The air goes through the oil standing in the oil cup when you start the engine.

Use Case IH Hy-Tran fluid, or other brand of fluid approved for IH hydraulic systems, for the Touch Control. Don't put gear oil in the Touch Control. Hy-Tran fluid is thin.
Below is a page from the 1965 Cub operator's manual, showing oils to use.
Starting in about 1958, and later, IH said to use Hy-Tran fluid in the transmission, and final drives.
Or you can use 90 wt gear oil, it says.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-64.jpg

If you have put gear oil in the fan hub, I would thin it down with motor oil, it may not get lube on the shaft in cold weather using gear oil. They have said on here before not to put thick oil in the fan hub. Put motor oil in the screw hole on the hub, like the manual says, then before draining it, put the screw in, and turn the engine over 20 times or so, then drain the excess oil out, like the manual says.
Then you could repeat that.
That should partially change the oil in the fan hub.
I use a pump oil can to put oil in the fan hub. :)

I may have not been clear, or maybe it was on a different post I went over what I did today. I have a few threads but there different questions.

Anyway I put engine oil in the fan hub, I also put engine oil in the air cleaner.

I have the owners manual (an actual print copy) and have real the lubrication part a few times, looked over the chart multiple times , which is why I have my questions. That manual is decades out of date as are many of the oils they reference. Modern oils are way better than they reference in the manual and many did not exist when it was printed.

Thank you for the warning. It will help me and others I. The future who find this post.

Return to “Farmall Cub”