This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rebuilding both final drives

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Rebuilding both final drives

Postby BigBill » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:56 pm

I’m getting ready to rebuild both final drives with the tranny soon. I’m a firm believer in moly. I’m thinking of using a gear oil with a moly additive. In the three gear boxes. But I have a 5 gallon can of synthetic gear oil. I can blend moly in with it. Has anyone ever used synthetic gear oil in there tractors?
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Rebuilding both final drives

Postby Yogie » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:44 pm

Bill, all of my cubs have 50/50 Lucas oil and 90 weight trans fluid in the finals and trans. Not sure if the Lucas is synthetic or not but I like how it's sticky and climbs to the top of the final drives.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:58 am

I'm not certain of the goal here. I'd like my machine to outlive me. Most final drives fail due to casting breakage, not the gear tooth wear. Even with old 90wt dino-oil, I'm pretty sure the finals will be around and working long after I am gone.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:14 am

My thoughts are every fcub video I watch has gear noise is that the norm with straight cut gears.? Even my fcub and 154’s were noisy. Has anyone tried to eliminate this gear noise? Decades ago we added the STP engine oil treatment to four speed trannys for drag race cars.
That’s what I was taught. I’m thinking it cushioned the load on the teeth of the gears operation. I’m guessing this gear noise is accepted and normal?

I’m also thinking about adding a 1/4” npt pipe plug over the final input pinion drive and a drain plug in the final pan for changing gear oil much easier so down the road I could test which oil blend quiets down the noise.

You fill the final drives to that 1/8” plug that’s above the axle?
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:55 pm

Hi,
I guess you were asking where to fill the final drives to.

There is a fill and level plug between the 5/8" implement attaching bolt holes, in the same position on each final drive.
They use a square ratchet drive to turn them.
The Cub operator's manual says a final drive holds about 1 3/4 Pints of oil.

Below is a pic from TM Tractor, the plug is at the left in the pic. :)
Attachments
Cub casting 2.jpg

Jdsharp
Zip Code: 47630
Tractors Owned: 51 Cub
49 Cub
Ford 900

Postby Jdsharp » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:43 pm

Hey Bill,

I’m getting ready to change my Cub to all Shaffer’s synthetic lubes. Just curious what you ended up going with or if you did any testing? Also did you end up installing a plug in the pan?

Anyone see any issues with running synthetics?