This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Process on restoring a cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dadsfarmalls
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 61081
Tractors Owned: 1945 Farmall M
1948 Farmall Cub
1955 Farmall 200
1965 IH Cub

Process on restoring a cub

Postby Dadsfarmalls » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:05 pm

I'm sure there are many different answers to this, but without ever doing it before I'm going to ask. What is a good process on breaking down and restoring a cub?

The 65 is running great and I'll continue using it around the house for misc work. The 48 I want to restore and want to do as much of the work myself as I can. As for how far do I want to go with the restoration, I'm not completely sure. I know I want to go through everything and fix or replace anything that is broken or worn, in the back of my mind I'm considering going as far as painting it and making it look pretty. This is a project that I don't have any pressing time line to get it done, just want to take my time, learn, and do the best I can.

Thanks

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Process on restoring a cub

Postby tst » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:08 pm

repair and mechanical problems/ leaks 1st, if you do not and paint it you will mess up your new paint when you go to fix the issues

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:49 pm

My recommendation is take LOTS of photos, more than you think you need, and check out the HOW TO section for specific rebuilds, such as finals, touch control, etc. Manuals are available here, plus all you need to do if you get stumped is ask!

As Tim said, do all mechanical repairs before you paint!

Oh, but most important...NEVER add up what you have spent on your restoration...it'll only depress you!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Dadsfarmalls
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 61081
Tractors Owned: 1945 Farmall M
1948 Farmall Cub
1955 Farmall 200
1965 IH Cub

Postby Dadsfarmalls » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:12 pm

My plan is to video everything I do, partly to remember how everything went together, partly for me to go back to in the future if I need to do it again (to this or another tractor) and probably mostly so that when I don't know how to explain what I did I can just show you guys.

Dad had an operators manual for the 65 and a shop manual (IH-8) that I reference often, and I've downloaded the correct years manuals from here so I have that as well. I've found the HOW-TO section here incredibly valuable and have been reviewing some of that already to see kind of what Im getting myself into. And even though I wonder if some of you giggle and shake your heads when I ask silly questions, I'm going to keep asking - even if it's just for all of your amusement. :D :D :D

I have set the budget to "when it becomes available" and I am treating it the same way as checking out at Cabela's - Miss, please ring it up and tell me when to swipe the card... but don't tell me the amount. Also one of the reasons I'm leaving it an open timeline for completion.

I guess mostly what I'm trying to think through is just the process of getting started. I have an idea on some of the issues the tractor has that I'll need to deal with and along the way I'll probably find more, so I'm trying to figure out if there is a certain way to go through things to where I'm not taking too many steps back along the way. So roughly my thought is doing a compression test before anything else. Getting it into the garage, wedging the front and then getting everything jacked up and on blocks or stands. Then basically start taking it apart. I didn't know if it's better to go back to front, or front to back, or if I'm completely off the map.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:20 am

I like to put them to work, for a while, and make a list of all issues you encounter. It may require some repairs, along the way, to keep it going so you can fully analyze what you are dealing with. Once you've done this, your teardown process will be more obvious.

Mach5rider
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 43081

Postby Mach5rider » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:59 pm

I second Gary's recommendation to get it running and use it for a while before worrying about the "restoration". Im on about the 3rd time removing the beautifully painted hood on mine and it seems each time it gets more "patina". Better to figure out the hydraulics leak before you put it on the first time, or the radiator vent needs resoldered... one benefit: my wife has been very patient and is getting good at lifting the hood now.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:47 am

I went back and watched your YouTube video again, introducing the '48 Cub. Like the others have said, start with and fix the mechanical/electrical issues first, then, paint if you're wanting to do that (your paint doesn't look that bad to me).

Someone on here asked what type of tools were necessary to restore a Cub--you might do a Search. But adequate space is a must. Once you remove the hood and begin to tear it down, it'll be there for a while.

Get a clipboard, paper and pen, start making a list of things you know are wrong/bad/broken that will need repair or replacement. Do a compression test and valve readjustment to determine if the engine needs rebuilding. That will be the big dollar item of everything.

Group your electrical wiring in a bunch for now and do everything else first--wiring can wait until the end of your restore period when all the mechanicals are fixed.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:51 pm

Restoration? What is a restoration. Some think it’s a new paint job. Oil leaks and poor running is acceptable to some, sure if we’re not using it.

Check all fluid levels

First pressure wash the complete tractor. Work on the excess grease and dirt.
Second run it and look for any oil and hydraulic leaks.
Third how does it run?
Fourth compression test.
Fifth if it passes all the above time to test drive it.
Sixth if she passes the test drive time to tune it, change the oils, coolant.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.