This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Help please!! New farmall owner, trouble w/ mower mounting

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BWilt
Zip Code: 19709

Help please!! New farmall owner, trouble w/ mower mounting

Postby BWilt » Tue May 12, 2020 9:52 am

Hello everyone, my name is Bryan I’m 34 years old live in Delaware. I just bought a 6 acre field and need to keep about 3 acres mowed. I’m against buying newer anything because it’s mostly made outside of this country and doesn’t last so I got me a real nice 58 cub Lo-boy. I admit I have no knowledge of model differences and stuff like that so I had no idea a lo-boy was so different from a regular F cub. I just thought they were wider. Anyways to cut to the chase...I got the Lo-boy with hydraulics and a front plow real good shape runs like a champ, excellent rubber, for what I think is a bargain ($1800) knowing I still needed a mower but I knew of a nice complete woods 42” belly mower setup for $400 which I went and got the same day. I thought yay me! Tractor, plow, and mower for less than $2500! Then I tried mounting the mower lol. I quickly learned an f cub setup does not fit under my Lo-boy. I think I can modify the rear mule bar to make it work but not sure. Even if I do then rear of the mower deck is very close to my rear tires. I’d also have to give up my draw bar :( I have it all mocked up and I have a torch and a welder but I don’t want to hack up a nice setup if it’s not going to work and someone else could use it. So my main question: Is there a way to mount a 42” woods made for an F cub under my Lo-boy? If not, there is a complete Danco 60” set up not far from me currently on an early to mid 60s yellow Lo-boy, would that whole setup bolt up to my tractor and would my 58 have enough hp to spin 3 blades. Also would that danco be suitable for field mowing (6-8” grass/weeds)? Should I sell everything and buy an f cub? I hate to give up this little 58 it really is a good running piece. I’ll post pics when I figure out how

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Re: Help please!! New farmall owner, trouble w/ mower mounting

Postby tmays » Tue May 12, 2020 10:55 am

I’d post an ad here on the forum. Who knows, someone here might be willing to trade a LoBoy mower for a reg cub mower. As to whether or not the 60” will work for you, hard to say. Some will tell you 6-8” is fine for that mower, and some will say no. I’m in the no category. But it depends on what and how think that 6-8” of grass is.
Thomas

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Tue May 12, 2020 11:39 am

Mowing. I have a 60" mower mounted on a 154 and a 42" mower mounted on a standard Cub. Taller, heavier grass, the 42" deck works much better. If you keep the grass about lawn like, either mower deck works well. If the grass gets ahead of you, neither deck works well.

Flail mower. Decent for lawn appearance and works pretty well on taller, heavier grass.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Tue May 12, 2020 11:40 am

I'm with tmays above. A Cub can handle 6-8" grass with the 59" mower, but only if it isn't super dense and is dry, blades sharp, front of deck 1/8-1/4" lower than the rear, engine developing full power, etc. You may want to add a Woods 59-CL to your search as well (three blade woods mower with brackets for a LoBoy).
Jim

Circle of Safety

BWilt

Postby BWilt » Tue May 12, 2020 12:07 pm

Thanks for the quick replies. Sounds like a 42” bush hog style mower would be best for me. I just found one off a 56 lo-boy about an hour away in New Jersey with all the brackets and hardware he’s askin 500. I think a little high but he may negotiate. I’ll keep ya posted. Here are some links to a few pictures of what I am up against in case anyone has similar issues in the future they can reference: :tractor:

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af3 ... 14AA0.jpeg

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af3 ... 37F6A.jpeg

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af3 ... 89CBA.jpeg

BWilt

Postby BWilt » Tue May 12, 2020 12:13 pm

This is the mower for sale in Jersey, seller says it came off a 56 lo-boy that he recently sold and the new owner did now want the mower. This should bolt right up to my 58 Lo-boy right??

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af3 ... A6A195.jpg

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af3 ... 2DBD41.jpg

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue May 12, 2020 12:15 pm

Bryan, Welcome to the Forum. Looks like you picked up a nice Cub. Let us know if we can be of any help.
Edit: I don't see a rear pulley with the second deck. Hopefully it didn't stay on the tractor that was sold.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

BWilt

Postby BWilt » Tue May 12, 2020 12:38 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:Bryan, Welcome to the Forum. Looks like you picked up a nice Cub. Let us know if we can be of any help.
Edit: I don't see a rear pulley with the second deck. Hopefully it didn't stay on the tractor that was sold.

Thanks Bob glad to be here! Are you talking about the pully on the PTO shaft? It does have the mule pulleys but you’re right I don’t see one for the PTO if that’s what you are talking about. I could use the one that’s on my tractor now right? Or are there different sized pulleys for different attachments?

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue May 12, 2020 12:49 pm

Yes, PTO pulley. You'll want to see if the seller has it, that way you have a complete mower to sell.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

BWilt

Postby BWilt » Tue May 12, 2020 12:51 pm

Ahhh 10-4. Thank you sir I will ask him. If not I guess I’ll still be able to get mowing and then probably find another pulley to complete my other mower I’m assuming they aren’t hard to find. Although my assumptions got me in the jam I’m in now so nothing would surprise me lol

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Tue May 12, 2020 12:52 pm

You can use the pulley that you have with your current mower. It should be about the same size if not the identical size. As long as the belt comes off the pulley and enters the mule drive nice and straight you should be good.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue May 12, 2020 1:49 pm

There are a lot of different mowers that were built for the various Cubs. So I don't keep track of all the variations and could be wrong. But it looks to me like the available mower is an IH/Danco C-2 with the rear mounting parts for a Farmall Cub, maybe modified for a Lo-Boy. So I'm not sure how much gain you would get from it. Keep in mind that although the missing pulleys can be found, they are NOT inexpensive. His $500 price is way out of line for a mower that is missing key parts to make it functional.

BWilt

Postby BWilt » Tue May 12, 2020 1:55 pm

Jim Becker wrote:There are a lot of different mowers that were built for the various Cubs. So I don't keep track of all the variations and could be wrong. But it looks to me like the available mower is an IH/Danco C-2 with the rear mounting parts for a Farmall Cub, maybe modified for a Lo-Boy. So I'm not sure how much gain you would get from it. Keep in mind that although the missing pulleys can be found, they are NOT inexpensive. His $500 price is way out of line for a mower that is missing key parts to make it functional.

Jim are you talking about just the pto pulley or you see something else missing? My tractor has a pto pulley already on it so I have that and pto pulley with insert around me are about $50. I’m about to leave to check out this mower but if it’s missing just the pto pulley I plan on offering him $300

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue May 12, 2020 2:03 pm

Print out the parts manual for the mower. Take it with you.

Before buying, check the condition of the blades, idlers, belt, bearings. Paint sells.

Repair parts get expensive in a hurry.
I have an excuse. CRS.

BWilt

Postby BWilt » Tue May 12, 2020 2:08 pm

I heard that, good idea. I’ll paint it after I find out it works well. Looks like crap right now but I couldn’t care less about the appearance I just need something to do some work. I lucked out getting a pretty tractor but I bought it because price was right and runs like a top! Thank you everyone I will let you know what happens