This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

C22 Sickle Bar mower too far forward

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mac AR
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 72561
Tractors Owned: 51 Farmall Cub "The little 'un"
55 Farmall 300 "The Big 'Un"
60 IH 340U "The middle 'un"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: C22 Sickle Bar mower too far forward

Postby Mac AR » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:02 am

Unless I've lost my mind, two things jump out at me:

1. The PTO pulley is not on correctly. Yes, it is facing the right way, but my pulley goes a lot further onto the shaft. It almost touches the transmission housing, actually. Does the hole in the pulley line up with the one in the PTO? If so, is the pin in it? Sure doesn't look like it from here. Unfortunately, I'm not home and can't get a good picture of what I mean.

2. I can't tell about the front hanger, but the rear one looks like its canted slightly forward. May just be the picture angle, not sure. But something just doesn't quite look right with it.

I'd look heavily at these two things, especially the pulley. I have zero doubt that it's 90% of your problem.

Mac
"Go get me a crescent wrench... git the biggest SOB you can find 'cause I'm gonna use it fer a hammer ennyway" - Words of Wisdom from Dad.

Circle of Safety

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:44 pm

Mac AR wrote:The PTO pulley is not on correctly. Yes, it is facing the right way, but my pulley goes a lot further onto the shaft.

This is mine.

pulley.JPG

I also have several pulleys on the shelf. I tried each on a pto and have the sane result. I think the pulley is installed right.

My guess is the bent mount in front is pulling everything forward.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Mac AR
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 72561
Tractors Owned: 51 Farmall Cub "The little 'un"
55 Farmall 300 "The Big 'Un"
60 IH 340U "The middle 'un"

Postby Mac AR » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:06 pm

Barnyard wrote:
Mac AR wrote:The PTO pulley is not on correctly. Yes, it is facing the right way, but my pulley goes a lot further onto the shaft.

This is mine.

pulley.JPG

I also have several pulleys on the shelf. I tried each on a pto and have the sane result. I think the pulley is installed right.

My guess is the bent mount in front is pulling everything forward.

Well there goes my theory! :lol: I'll have to look at mine again when I get home. But, you're more than likely correct and I'll gladly defer to your experience, sir. :hattip:

Mac
"Go get me a crescent wrench... git the biggest SOB you can find 'cause I'm gonna use it fer a hammer ennyway" - Words of Wisdom from Dad.

Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:47 pm

I notice one questionable thing in 790rivers's second picture. The upper pulley does not look straight, but rather like it is pulled down a bit. If so, it may not be tight on the PTO shaft. If it is run loose, the pulley and shaft will wear rapidly, making it impossible to tighten up. Hopefully it isn't already too worn. Or maybe the picture just makes it look that way. Either way, it needs to be checked. Unfortunately, fixing this will probably make the original problem look even worse.

tldec50
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30553
Tractors Owned: 1948 farmall cub tractor
1962 massey ferguson 35 diesel
1952 john deere mt
1955 john deere crawler
1941 ford business coupe
1959 el camino
1977 international cub
1969 int'l 154
1958 420w john deere

Postby tldec50 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:42 pm

It appears that the upper dowel pin on your pto shaft Plate not seated all the way flush.There appears to be a gap in the upper part of the pto cover.On my '48 the pto shaft bearing had to be restaked. The pto shaft moved aft about a half inch and disengaged the pto.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:45 pm

Hi,
The PTO assembly looks installed correctly in your 2nd pic, it looks flat against the cover and housing, but maybe there is something I can't see in the pic on my computer.

The PTO shaft may be moved to the rear, like tldec50 said above.

The shaft can move to the rear, through the PTO bearing, in the rear cover, if it is the staked shaft, and the staking didn't work.
Staking the shaft was used to prevent the shaft from moving in the bearing.
When the shaft moves rearward, usually the PTO won't stay engaged when using something that is run by the PTO. There is too much gap between the rear end of the clutch shaft, and the PTO shaft.

Below is a page from the Cub service manual showing the ball bearing on the PTO shaft.
It has to go on the shaft as far as it can go. Then stake the shaft to hold it in place.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 06A-08.jpg

Below are pics from TM Tractor of the PTO, in the top pic, showing the amount the shaft should be sticking out of the housing.
The 2nd pic shows staking the shaft, there was originally about 3 stakes equally spaced around the shaft. :)
Attachments
Cub PTO 7.jpg
Cub PTO.jpg

tldec50
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30553
Tractors Owned: 1948 farmall cub tractor
1962 massey ferguson 35 diesel
1952 john deere mt
1955 john deere crawler
1941 ford business coupe
1959 el camino
1977 international cub
1969 int'l 154
1958 420w john deere

Postby tldec50 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:09 pm

Sorry I was looking at the wrong picture.

790rivers
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 12764
eBay ID: Jsimon1
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub fast hitch, Woods RM59 Fast Hitch, Mott 48" flail fast hitch, 153 Disc plow

Postby 790rivers » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:30 pm

It's Fixed!! ScottyD'sdad had given me a spare bracket for the C22 last year after the NE CubFest and I had not swapped it in yet, but sure enough, his was straight and mine was bent, and now it's lining up perfectly and the pulley isn't rubbing. A million thanks to Ed for that....BUT...now there's a new problem: under tension from the belt, the PTO shifter stopped working. I had a hard time getting it to engage and now it's frozen in the middle, making a scraping sound. Ouch. Back to the drawing board.

790rivers
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 12764
eBay ID: Jsimon1
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub fast hitch, Woods RM59 Fast Hitch, Mott 48" flail fast hitch, 153 Disc plow

Postby 790rivers » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:33 pm

I just posted about the repair with Ed's replacement bracket, before I saw that Glen had explained about the PTO. Thanks Glen! I think you've pointed the way for the next job.