This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1949 Farmall Cub Touch Control Lever

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
kpericksen
Zip Code: 45044
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub

1949 Farmall Cub Touch Control Lever

Postby kpericksen » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:47 am

I just bought a 1949 Farmall Cub and it has hydraulics with Touch Control. The first manual to show Touch Control is 1955. Did 1949 Cuibs have Touch Control added at the factory, or was this added later by a previous owner. Thanks for the help, So far the info on this site is awesom

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 1949 Farmall Cub Touch Control Lever

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:04 pm

By 1949 It could have been factory installed and it most likely was. Touch-Control could be installed later on any Cub that did not have it from the factory.

The main block of the Touch-Control has a date code. By comparing that date to the date codes of other major castings of the tractor, you can make a reasonable conclusion as to whether it was added later.

kpericksen

Postby kpericksen » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:06 pm

Thanks for the amazingly fast reply, I will check for the various date code

kpericksen

Postby kpericksen » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:13 pm

Are there manuals for the various model years that are not included on the Manual page of this site (for example a manual for 1949 that shows Touch Control but is just not included on this site). Looking at the 1949 manual, it has a few things that are different than what is on the tractor I bought. The manual does not show Touch Control and it shows the oil pressure gauge on the oil filter body. My tractor has the oil pressure gauge on the dash, next to the Charge Indicator. I just want to make sure when I order parts, that I am ordering the right parts. Thanks

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:28 pm

There is a 1949 Owners Manual in the PDF manuals on this site. Look under:
Farmall Cub --> Cub Owners and Operators Manuals
and it is the second one listed. Touch-Control is covered starting on page 60.

Some people have reported the oil gauge in the dash as an option. But no Cub documents I have seen show it. Several owners have relocated it themselves. Be aware that later manuals often used earlier illustrations that may not reflect exact appearance of the later tractors.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:19 pm

Hi,
Welcome to the website.

The Cub operator's manual can help you learn about maintenance that the Cub needs.

Below is the 1949 Cub operator's manual. The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1.
It shows how Cubs originally looked in it. The lube section begins on page 14.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

They have said on here that IH didn't make a new manual every year.
Cubs made before mid 1964 originally had 6 volt, positive ground electrical systems.

The recommendation in the manual to use motor oil in the Touch Control was changed later to Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. It is sold at Case IH dealers.
Below is a post I made about checking or changing the Touch Control fluid.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=104554

I would check or change all the oils before using the Cub. Using it with low oil in a gear housing can damage the parts in the housing.
There are 3 separate gear housings, with 3 separate oil levels to check, in the rear area of a Cub, the transmission, and 2 final drives.

The transmissions in Cubs commonly get water in them, from rain, or condensation inside the housing over time. :)