This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New to forum and Cubs

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jobe05
Zip Code: 27021
Tractors Owned: 1953 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

New to forum and Cubs

Postby Jobe05 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:19 am

Thanks for the add to the forum. When I was a young man of 11 years old, I worked on the potato and onion farms of upstate New York. One of my fondest memories was getting to work a couple hours early and jumping on the Cub tractor and going for joy rides cultivating the onion fields. I loved that little tractor, which was a big tractor to me at the time. I haven’t driven one or been around one now in almost 50 years. That may change today..... I found a cub (not sure of the year) that I will be going to look at this evening. Owner says it runs great, no smoke, non molested. Things I do know about the tractor so far. It has original 6V system, single point hitch, cultivators that I don’t believe are complete based on the pictures I have seen. Single point back blade, and a single plow. Tractor does have a PTO. Other than the seat, everything seems to be original. Based on the pictures, the front Bolster seems cracked (but not leaking), or it could be a bad pixel spot in the picture, I’ll know more when I see it. The tractor still has the original paint, or what’s left o the paint and emblems that surface rust hasn’t claimed. He’s asking $1500 delivered to my house if I choose to buy it.

My question is, what are some of the things that I should be looking for? I’m aware of the obvious things, brakes, clutch wear and operation, fluid conditions and leaks. What else should I be looking for? Thanks for your help.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: New to forum and Cubs

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:03 pm

Here is a list to get you started.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=48032

Jobe05

Postby Jobe05 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:23 pm

Thank you!

That’s what I have been looking for. I have been nosing around here for the past couple of days ( without registering) and couldn’t find it. Thanks again.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:26 pm

Welcome from a fellow NC-er Cub owner! :hattip: Enjoy the hunt...I believe the 2 most exciting times with regard to these tractors, are our first look at it, and the first time we hear it running!

You might look into the IH Collectors Club Chapter 42.
http://ihcollectorsnc42.com/
You are right in middle of their area, and they are sponsoring the Annual Convention next week.
Also, if you get a chance, try to attend cubfest...the first is coming up next week also, down in Florida. If you want to meet a bunch of fellow cub enthusiast, learn a lot about these tractors, and maybe get answers to problems your tractor is having, these gatherings are priceless!

Note: I always have room for riders if you are interested in attending the DSCF (Deep South Cubfest in Sneads, FL) next week!! It's one of the best!!! :{_}:
http://www.dscubfest.com
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:29 pm

And if you DO buy that cub, here is a post with some really good info in it:
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91765
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Jobe05

Postby Jobe05 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:48 pm

Thanks Dale, I’ll look into the IH events, doesn’t take much of an excuse for the wife and I to jump on the Goldwing and head to Florida.

I read through the post about what to after I get it home, which will be on my priority list before I put her to work ( assuming I buy it). A lot of great pointers there. I’m a firm believer in maintenance on equipment, as a small business owner, my equipment is how I make my money, a little time spent now, could mean a tremendous amount of down time and cost in he future. And lucky me, I have just enough hand tools and mechanical ability to be extremely dangerous........

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:57 pm

Welcome to the Forum!

Take some time and read through a few threads to acquaint yourself with the Forum:

Don't know if you have any of the manuals for a Cub, but now that you have 2 posts, you can access all the free PDF downloads in the Manuals section. They are located via "Quick Links" in the upper left corner of your screen. Hit that and a pull-down appears where you'll find "PDF Manuals". Through that link, you'll be able to download an Owner's Manual (very strongly recommended) and any service manuals that interest you. You'll be able to familiarize yourself with a new-to-you Cub more quickly. Implement Manuals are also available.

We’d encourage you to take the Safety Test located in the Safety Forum: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=68084

There are a lot of good threads dealing with Cub repair and maintenance in the How To Forum. Located here: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=11

Once you get a Cub, take some pictures and post them, we’d like to see it. Remember, when you have a specific question, start a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum and use the Preview button before hitting Submit--it'll show you exactly what your post will look like.

Glad you joined us.

:tractor:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Jim Reid
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Reid » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:08 pm

Jobe05 i am just across the yadkin from you holler if you need any help.

Jim

Jim Reid
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Reid » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:12 pm

jobe05 is this cub at Joe's in Thomasville if so make sure you check EVERYTHING>
Jim

Jobe05

Postby Jobe05 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:53 pm

Thanks all for the advice, offers and welcomes.

Well, she's home!!! The guy I got it from is in Virginia, just over the NC border. He buys old field and barn finds, gets them running and sells them, he had several in his garage that he was happy to show me. The one I bought is a '53, Runs excellent!! Not a skip, not a puff of smoke at all. She needs a good cleaning and Im sure some seals replaced, the dirt and oil on it now has been there for years, so it's hard to tell. Whats the best way to clean it? I have a hot water pressure washer I was thinking of using, just stay away from electrical as much as possible. Me a PB Blaster has always had a good relationship, but we just became good friends
IMG_2861.jpg
Attachments
82847654_820670565117311_2034813285592727552_n.jpg
IMG_2863.jpg
IMG_2862.jpg

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:38 pm

Looks like an excellent introduction to all things Cub.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:30 pm

Hi,
Welcome to the website.

The Cub operator's manual will help you learn about maintenance that the Cub needs.

Below is the 1955 Cub operator's manual. The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1.
It shows how Cubs originally looked in it. The lube section begins on page 14.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

They have said on here that IH didn't make a new manual every year.
This manual shows the electrical system that a 1953 Cub originally had.
Cubs made before mid 1964 originally had 6 volt, positive ground electrical systems.
The Fast Hitch is shown in the manual, Cubs had no Fast Hitch in 1953, they came out in late 1954.
A 1953 Cub also had a different grille and hood names than a 1955 Cub.

The Touch Control fluid talked about in the manual was changed later to Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. It is sold at Case IH dealers.

I would check or change all the oils before using the Cub. Using it with low oil in a gear housing can damage the parts in the housing.
There are 3 separate gear housings, with 3 separate oil levels to check, in the rear area of a Cub, the transmission, and 2 final drives.
The final drive oil level plug on the left side is behind the Fast Hitch bracket. If the bracket does not have a hole to get to the plug, you will need to remove the Fast Hitch to get to the plug.
Some brackets had a hole in them, and some brackets didn't.

The plug on the right final drive is under the depth control lever bracket. You will need to remove the bolts holding the lever on the final drive to get to the plug.

The Fast Hitch has to be removed if you want to remove the final drive oil pans, to change their oils. The rear pan bolt on both sides is covered by the Fast Hitch brackets.

The transmissions in Cubs commonly get water in them, from rain, or condensation inside the housing over time.

There are 2 pages missing from the manual above, in the lubrication section. I would use the 1950 Cub owner's manual to see the lubrication section info. You can find the manuals at the top of the page at Cub Info, then go to Rudi's Manuals.
There is a 1952 Cub operator's manual on here, but I can't post it on here. It is at the top left of the page at Quick links.

I use a pressure washer on my Cub, it seems to work ok.
Cover the Battery Ignition unit, starter, and voltage regulator with plastic bags first, it helps keep them dry.
Yes, don't spray the electrical parts.
Also, if it is an original fan assembly, keep water away from the rear of the fan hub, it has no seal, and water can get in the hub.
The original fan hubs use oil for lubrication. It should be checked also, some people on here have said they had the fan seize from no lube.
The operator's manual shows how to lube it. :)

Stevetractor
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: B0v1a0
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall Cub
1955 Farmall Cub
1968 International Cub

Postby Stevetractor » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:53 pm

Glen has you on the right track. Hot pressure washer will definitely be your friend. A couple different size scrub brushes and a squirt bottle with some cheap solvent will help as well. Loads of fun and learning in your future.

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:14 pm

Stevetractor wrote:Glen has you on the right track. Hot pressure washer will definitely be your friend. A couple different size scrub brushes and a squirt bottle with some cheap solvent will help as well. Loads of fun and learning in your future.

Be careful with the pressure washer or at least do it before you change your fluids. It has a way of getting into the steering box, trans, and distributor.
Welcome to the forum!
:hattip:
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:44 pm

Keep the pressure washer away from the serial number plate and the starter and generator data plates.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor