This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

TC Connecting Rod Broke inside Piston Sleeve

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ddlebail
Zip Code: E1N6B5
Tractors Owned: :
1960 Farmall Cub
1979 Ford 1700 4X4

TC Connecting Rod Broke inside Piston Sleeve

Postby ddlebail » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:16 am

Hi Folks,

As Per subject, I have a bit of an issue.

My Cub has broken its Touch Control Connecting Rod. It has snapped off inside the sleeve of the piston.

I have attempted to clean as much of the rust out as possible from the inside. The broken part of the connecting rod in the sleeve appears to be rusted solid, it does not move on the pivot pin. It has been soaking in PB Blaster for days.

I have taken the locking nut off the piston end of the connecting rod, and have attempted to remove the threaded part and the remainder of the connecting rod, but to no avail.

I believe the threaded portion is just inserted through the piston and not threaded in, but attempting to persuade the part out with a large persuader has not yielded any results.

I have concluded this connecting rod is no longer available from suppliers, so I guess I will have to fabricate a replacement.

Any suggestions on getting this threaded portion out of the piston without completely ruining everything?

Thank You, Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

David
:help:

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: TC Connecting Rod Broke inside Piston Sleeve

Postby Slim140 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:30 am

If it's rusted that bad you may be better off to purchase a used TC block and rebuild it, should be plenty around.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

ddlebail
Zip Code: E1N6B5
Tractors Owned: :
1960 Farmall Cub
1979 Ford 1700 4X4

Re: TC Connecting Rod Broke inside Piston Sleeve

Postby ddlebail » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:52 am

I was lucky and a fellow member here had the parts I required.
Received them today and as soon as I have the gaskets/o-rings, I will be well on my way to owning a happy Cub.