This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Everything ran fine, until I added new parts...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Everything ran fine, until I added new parts...

Postby Stanton » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:08 am

If you do believe it's the carb, then there are several threads in the How To Forum by Lurker Carl on carbs. Located here:
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=139

You might start with How to Check the Fuel Level in your Carburetor.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:19 am

inairam wrote:Could you be 180 degrees out on the timing?

Not if it was running.

As long as you have not touched anything in the ignition system since it ran, nothing timing-wise can be horribly wrong.

Have you checked for vacuum leaks at carb or manifold? Is it even possible to, at this point, to flood it by over-choking?

MikeEyre74
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06063
Tractors Owned: Standard F-Cub, 1949
John Deere Model A, 1948
Wheel Horse 312-8, 1987

Postby MikeEyre74 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:36 pm

Well, like I said, it ran a bit yesterday.. maybe fifteen minutes until I shut it down, and then couldn’t get it going again. I don’t think it would have run at all if it were out at 180..
Standard F-Cub, 1949
John Deere Model A, 1948

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:49 pm

If you had good enough fire and fuel to run it for fifteen minutes, then I don't suspect anything is systemically wrong. However, there can be small gremlins that drive you nuts until you find and correct them. How are you shutting it down? If with a switch, then could the switch be worn or shorting intermittently to cause the issue? If you are flooding it out, then tune-up or carburetor is suspected. And if shutting off the fuel, then maybe fuel flow or gas cap vent is an issue when starting back up. Since it can run for fifteen minutes with no issues, start looking for something intermittent, or that is caused by shutting it off.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

MikeEyre74
5+ Years
5+ Years
John Deere Model A, 1948
Wheel Horse 312-8, 1987

Postby MikeEyre74 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:10 am

OK, I have at least part of this figured out. Right now, I have two magnetos that both make spark and, when installed, both will run the tractor. Yesterday at least, both of them managed to get the tractor started by handcrank. Let me back up a minute and explain… Because some of this is still a little bit of a mystery to me.

I think I explained earlier in the post, I had a complete magneto from a complete 1948 tractor that I put on here and it ran fine. I ordered parts for another magneto that I was putting together before I got my hands on that parts tractor, so those are the pieces that I put in the “parts magneto”. I could not get the “parts magneto” to work at all, so I started swapping bits and pieces over from the 1948 magneto to try and figure out what the issue was. When all was said and done, I had the parts magneto that just would not function with all of the new pieces that I threw at it, and my 1948 magneto would not start off the handcrank, but would start if I bumped it with the starter which I normally do not use because I don’t have a battery for it. In this instance, I bumped it off one of our vehicles in the driveway.

Yesterday, I stopped at the parts store and bought a new condenser. I would have bought two, but they only had one on the shelf. When I got home from work, I dismantled everything and put all of the original parts from the 1948 magneto back together again the way it was when it worked, and I put all of the new parts back into the “parts magneto“ housing, including the new condenser. I could not get the 1948 magneto to start by hand crank initially, so I bumped it off the car again and it ran. Then I shut it off with the switch, and then I was able to get it fired back up by handcrank after that. That is a step in the right direction at least. Then, I took that magneto out and installed the “parts magneto“ that was now testing good on the bench (thank goodness! It seems to have been the condenser?) and installed that in the tractor, and that fired up right away off the handcrank.

To summarize, the 1948 magneto is back together and appears to work, although I do not understand why? Then, the “parts magneto“ is also functioning fine, with all of the new parts that I got from Brillman and my local shop. I can at least wrap my head around why the second one, the “parts magneto” works, but I do not understand why the other one does now, being very finicky on having all of its original components together.

Just to answer Ricks questions above, I shut the tractor off with the original switch, yes. The carburetor has had a recent tuneup, and I have been through it numerous times over the past weekend and all appears in order. It runs fine when it is running, it is just starting that is the problem. And lastly, I am using the gas cap that was sent to me under the warranty job, the very tall black gas cap, and it is only three or four weeks old. Interesting, I would have the gas cap on and then remove it entirely to check for vent issues. It does not seem to be the gas cap, because it runs fine with that on there.
Standard F-Cub, 1949
John Deere Model A, 1948

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:52 am

Glad you got it running again.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:19 am

my loboy was acting up somewhat in a very similar manner . ran fine , wouldnt start , start fine . then it would stop at random points in cutting the grass . sometimes it would fire right back up , sometimes not . after much fiddling and searching , a wire on the ammeter was slightly loose , just enough to qualify as a gremlin . coppersmythe..................ps: key word , slightly , at first the connection seemed tight enough ....................

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:22 am

You might have two female magneto's! :lol:

You stuck with it though and caught an agreeable moment or two....

mozer71
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22650

Postby mozer71 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:15 pm

These such good tips and advise. I have to come back Rick Spivey's reply 6/22. He knows magnetos and how some lose the rotor magnetism. One has to think about spinning a magneto with no load and when it actually starts the engine. Almost immediately there are adjustments made to improve the engine running. That doesn't mean it is going to start that way.
Edit. I had missed the more recent posts. There is still something about "dwell" . I never thought dwell would influence timing but it does. The older vehicles had a knob or lever to move the distributor closer to zero TDC and after starting, was adjusted for running. Well everybody knows this but cam lobes wear too.

Cubfriend
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 68803
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub, Kittie; 1948 Cub, Harold; 1949 Cub, 49er; 1951 Cub, Tucker; 1951 Cub, Homely; 1956 Cub High Crop; 1957 Cub Loboy; 57 Cub Loboy w/fasthitch + 194 plow; 1958 Cub LoBoy w/FH, Popeye; 1961 Cub, Beater; #1-1962 Cub Loboy Dually (Originally Orange) w/Foot Throttle; #2-1962 Cub Loboy Dually (Originally Orange) w/Foot throttle; Yellow 1963 Cub Loboy and blade; 1970 Cub, Cubbie; and 5 other Cubs in various stages of disaasembly and disrepair; 1962 Cub Cadet Original; 2 other Cub Cadet Originals; Cub Cadet 100; Cub Cadet 124 w/Creeper; Cub Cadet 147; 2 Cub Cadet 129's; Cub Cadet 149; 1948 Allis Chalmers C w/single frontwheel; 1944 Farmall H w/Tokhiem Cab; 2 One Point Fasthitch Carriers; 2-#100 Fasthitch Rear Blade; 2 Sets Cub 144 Cultivators; 2 Sets Cub #252 Cultivators; 3 Cub #193 Mouldboard Plows; 1 Cub #193 Slatted Plow; 1 1948 Cub-54 Snow Plow; 3 Cub-54 49-5 Snow Plows; Cub #6 Tool Bar w/Disc Blades & Middlebuster. 2-#105 sickle mowers, #152 disc plow

Postby Cubfriend » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:36 pm

Have you ever tried running the Cub with the wire disconnected from the mag. If you have a switch problem, that will isolate the switch from the mag. If you need to stop the engine a screwdriver (make sure screwdriver handle is insulated) can ground the body of the mag. to the terminal on the side of the mag. Your switch should only have one spade on it for a mag.
Frank

MikeEyre74
5+ Years
5+ Years
John Deere Model A, 1948
Wheel Horse 312-8, 1987

Postby MikeEyre74 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:26 am

Yes. The switch is not the problem. We have run it both with that switch connected and disconnected. We did it quite a bit while we were trying to diagnose the issue as well as rebuilding the magneto to get spark initially. Right now, the tractor starts up easily by hand, with all of the parts assembled as I described a few posts ago. As far as I can tell the condenser was the issue in one of them, and the other? I just don’t know… It works, so I don’t want to jinx it, but I don’t understand why. :D
Standard F-Cub, 1949
John Deere Model A, 1948