This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

64 6 volt, New to forum

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 64 6 volt, New to forum

Postby Glen » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:40 pm

Hi,
People have said on here that some new radiators for Cubs have too short a filler neck, and the radiator cap rubs on the hood.
They have also said that some of the bolt holes didn't line up at the radiator base.

They have said that the Clancy brand fits well. I have not bought one, I can't say from seeing it myself.

TM Tractor sells the Clancy radiator, below is a listing, you can look at it. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/co/671fp.htm

Skeebow
Zip Code: 24354
Tractors Owned: 64 6 Volt Square Nose Cub

Postby Skeebow » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:03 pm

Hello all,
I'm sorry it has been so long since my last post, my cub has been getting lots of attention here lately. The carburetor is now heli-coiled and studded from the stripped out threads. I replaced the radiator with the cheap one on eBay, it was made in turkey. It fits like a glove! It came with a goofy looking cap and a plastic overflow hose though. The ignition system has been gone through. The wiring has been gone through. My light switch is faulty and a new one is on the way. The pole that holds the steering shaft was bent down. Im not sure how that happened, but it has been replaced. All of the fluids have been changed. Ive got new front tires. The woods 59 is clean, greased, and has new blades. Everything was done by the book. It runs and mows great! I'm proud of my cub!

I thought this was interesting... When I changed the oil and replaced the filter it looks like oem IH equipment (I hope it has been changed before :shock: )
IMG_1315.JPG

We now know the serial number. It is 223924 J

The tractor has a weird paint scheme going on underneath the top layer. The hood was yellow at some time, completely yellow. The radiator supports and the air cleaner was yellow. The dash panel was yellow. The tube I replaced was red but the drive shaft housing was yellow underneath. The transmission was always red, the touch control housing, the engine block, and the final drives were all red down to the bottom. Inside of one headlight Was yellow and the other was red. The grille and wheel pans were white. Im just curious if Farmall was using this tractor as a paint scheme test. Call me crazy but say for instance they tried a red tractor with a yellow hood before they tried a yellow tractor with a white hood. It just seems like a possibility. I would like to know because I want to eventually put it back to the way it came of the factory floor.

Here are some pictures as soon as I finished mowing the yard the other day
IMG_1307.JPG
IMG_1308.JPG
IMG_1309.JPG
IMG_1311.JPG

Thanks to all for your help! The cub fever is now in my bones.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:19 pm

Not sure if your year cub had a sealed fan bearing, but if not, don't forget to check/top off the fan hub oil (use engine oil).

Great looking tractor, and I know the enjoyment achieved from tackling a job, and successfully completing it!

Be careful, though...these guys are adictive!!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:34 pm

Hi,
Good that you have the Cub working good.

The oil filter is not from 1964. Someone bought a genuine IH filter for it evidently. It has the newer style of IH emblem on it, I used to buy them for my Cub years ago. I think the emblem began in the early 1980's, but I'm not sure.
The filter doesn't look dirty in your pic, if it doesn't look excessively dirty down in the little holes in the paper, it is probably still good.
The colors of paint are interesting. You could look at the casting codes and see what year the bigger castings were made. Below is info from TM Tractor showing what year the codes are, and the location of the codes. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/id/id_004.htm

http://www.tmtractor.com/id/castdate_loc.htm

The clutch housing code is usually partly behind the clutch pedal.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:15 pm

All the yellow parts you listed are sheet metal. On later tractors, a lot of the sheet metal was primed. You are probably seeing yellow primer. One headlight probably was replaced.

1954Frank
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 37771
Tractors Owned: 1942 Allis-Chalmers "C" owned 1989-1994.
No tractors now.
Also owned a 1955-1st Series Chevrolet Pickup,
then a 1950 Chevrolet Pickup,
then another 1950 Chevrolet Pickup.

Postby 1954Frank » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:16 pm

Congrats.

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:27 pm

Steering wheel post bent might be because the tractor was rolled. Sheet metal damaged.
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Skeebow
Zip Code: 24354
Tractors Owned: 64 6 Volt Square Nose Cub

Postby Skeebow » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:34 pm

Okay great to know the oil has been changed!

I find myself looking for more implements and tractors every day on here, facebook, and craigslist. I bought an international 54a blade and put it on earlier this week to grade my driveway, it is also complete so I can mount it in the front for snow. The bug has got me big time!

From what I've seen so far on other tractors was red lead primer. I didn't know they used yellow primer.

Thanks!