This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

That old 100 Manure Spreader, ready for more and more

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: That old 100 Manure Spreader, ready for more and more

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:50 am

Bob McCarty wrote:The ones that I have are 5.50 x 16, but a few searches haven't found any that size. Mine are Titans.

M. E. Miller has them.

https://www.millertire.com/products/ant ... ent-4-ply/

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:51 am

For now, those tires are being considered. They look good everywhere except from the wallet...evidence of New England frugality. But, definitely good looking and just right for the 100 spreader.

Chain freed up by putting two pipe wrenches on the chain so that by moving the wrenches together, in opposing directions, the chain links moved at the pivot point of the tight link. A few minutes of this, with PB Blaster, and it was over. Today, a bit of testing by moving the spreader with the Cub with gear engaged.

Thanks for inputs, Bob and Jim. Greatly appreciated.

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:26 am

Moving on over to the other side of the spreader, perhaps the real culprit is revealed. Take a look at this from Rudi:

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... 201950.htm

part "C" is missing and the previous owner added lots of extra washers/a section of a pipe at "B" so that the 1/2" bolt that holds "C" would touch the cam. A new ball bearing setup is on the way via mail as a replacement for "C." Will install, clean up spring situation at "B", and see how things work. As is, not knowing any better, the tension on the apron speed control has always been overly tight. Now, hopefully, it'll be better. Seems as if the previous owner had a non-rolling "C" and opted to take it off, mess around with the tensioning of the control rod.

Slowly things come into focus and solutions present themselves.

On tires, when the time comes, there is an alternative at Miller for the costly 5.50--16 Firestone. The 6.00--16 Regency. 130 vs. 185 each. An on eBay there is a 6.00--16 Road Warrior, 150 new including shipping for two tires. That looks fishy, huh?

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:29 am

It says the Road Warrior is made in Turkey. I would guess that they'd be okay, not sure about the tubes....the reviews are mixed on them.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:51 am

Spreader fixed. The principle issue was that the previous owner apparently had a lost or seized bearing that rides atop the right hand wheel's cam that activates the movement of the apron (chains/bars that push manure rearward). There was only a standard bolt instead of a bearing--no wonder it didn't work. The nearby IH dealer's parts man got into his ancient files, and got me a bearing that would work, some spacers, and a new carriage bolt.

IMG_1551.JPG

This, along with a reworking of control arm spring, a new zerke greaser on the slider-control for it, some extensive greasing of all found zerkes, lots of PB Blaster, and this morning the spreader worked when towed. A modest "yoo hoo". A view of under-fender/protector gearing on right hand side:

IMG_1553.JPG

I've removed a protective plate that was crumpled like paper. It's been bent and pounded back into shape and will go on soon.

The other side, for what it's worth:

IMG_1554.JPG

So hopefully, the current end of the 100 spreader story. I'm now into Bondo mode on the fender/protective sheet metal covers. They need help. That and the usual rust removal and primer and paint and I'm back to it.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:30 am

Good to hear you found the problem and got it working again. If you're going to use it, I'd suggest running a bead of silicone caulk along the bottom edge where the wood sides meet the angle iron. That seems to be a place where it never dries out and rusts fast. Your's won't be so bad with wood sides though.
-Albert Einstein

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:02 pm

Congrats on restoring function!
A great save.

Keep an eye on the treated wood ,just in case it disagrees chemically with what it is attached to.

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:29 am

After freeing up beater/spiral chain, after installing bearing to work with wheel cam, after fixing inoperable spring for lower pawl on apron advance ratchet, this:
IMG_1561.JPG

What happened?
Looked like maybe the rotting, jagged edges of floor boards messed up the angle iron? Smoothed leading edge with epoxy, sanded that down and it became apparent that flooring was raised in the center so that clearance of angle iron was such that what happened indeed happened. Shaved down the wood, and in time thought to look underneath.There! A bent support steel bar. A few "slaps" with a sledge hammer on a 4x4 atop flooring over steel bar and I had what looked like adequate clearance.

Bought new S chain links, a steel angle iron and got it all put back. Using bolts for connections but if all stays together (3 loads of sheep manure coming this week) will put in rivets.

A few trips up and down the street apron turning. All A-OK so far.

End of story? Will live with old tires (7.50-16 instead of 5.50-16) until they're worn out. 6.00-16 tires for $150-160/pair looked okay until I looked into origin: China and India. No good reports on the Chinese tires (2 year life reported), don't know about the India ones. USA one more than double the price at $130-180 each.

radioguy41
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 18235
Tractors Owned: -
1957 Red IH Lo-Boy
1980 Red IH Cub Cadet 782
1993 Craftsman LT4000

Postby radioguy41 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:48 am

DickB wrote:End of story? Will live with old tires (7.50-16 instead of 5.50-16) until they're worn out. 6.00-16 tires for $150-160/pair looked okay until I looked into origin: China and India. No good reports on the Chinese tires (2 year life reported), don't know about the India ones. USA one more than double the price at $130-180 each.

Nice fix. Yep, if there ever was a perfect example of you-get-what-you-pay-for, it's tires, especially specialty tires. It seems almost anything made of rubber that comes out of China has about a 2 year lifespan before dry rot rears it's ugly head. I've seen tires shread, rubber hoses blow, and weather stripping crack, all within 2 years, with various folks within the antique cars and jeeps communities.
Circle of Safety Image ImageImage
KB3WBB

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:08 am

I've used stainless bolts to attach the crossbars to the apron chain and have not had any problems with doing it that way.
-Albert Einstein

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:42 pm

DickB wrote:......A few trips up and down the street apron turning. .......
That seems an odd place to spread the sheep manure when you get it. :wink: Of course I don't think it wise for any of the neighbors to chase you down while you're doing it to try and stop you. I do pity the poor policeman that has to come up behind you and pull you over. :D :lol:

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:42 am

In those days of yore, when a delivery cart came down the road, housewives would watch for horse droppings, race out to the street with dustpan and broom and get those gems for their house plants. My expedition down my street with the (empty) manure spreader was not so generous as those horses. We want manure to be spread in fields, and especially near fruit trees, and now we hope the 100 Spreader is ready.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:57 am

You just got one of the lessons of operating a manure spreader. Always keep an eye on the apron chain and front sprockets. If a sprocket stops turning or if a slat catches while making the turn around the front, stop immediately. The damage gets worse with every click of the ratchet.

If the apron chain freezes to the floor or the load causes a chain failure, it will usually be at the very back of the spreader. If only one side breaks (the usual thing), the slats all get twisted out of line as the unbroken side keep moving.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:18 pm

and nothing breaks except when the spreader is full....
-Albert Einstein

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:52 am

...worse with every click.... ! I do recall hearing that things weren't right...were very wrong...and stopped. But the damage was already done. And yet, thanks to you guys and others, it is now fixed.

Thanks again for great input on this "save," this needed restoration, Jim and Bob and others.