Rust in gas tank

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dan In Arkansas
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:00 am
Zip Code: 72419
Tractors Owned: 1959 Farmall Cub

Rust in gas tank

Postby Dan In Arkansas » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:31 pm

I have a 59 cub that has always ran good until this year and it would cut out and what I call spit and sputter and I noticed that the fuel bowl at the cut off on the bottom of gas tank was filled with rusty looking gas. I closed the value and let it settle and remove the bowl and it looked like a fine rust. I have done this several time and have the same results. My main question is there a way I can get the rust out of the tank short of removing the tank from the tractor. I know I got the rust from a container of gas that had the rust in it as the tank does not appear to be in bad/rusty shape. I have drained the tank thru the cut off value but it does not drain everything out. Thanks for any advice you may have.
Danny

User avatar
AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 2500
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:38 pm
Zip Code: 35111
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Rust in gas tank

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:00 am

*Moderators, this appears to be a Farmall Cub tractor not a Cub Cadet. Please move to the correct forum.

In your case you could try vaccuming it out or taking a shop rag attached to a wire and wipe through filler hole. Don't drop the rag though. One of those little grabber tools will come in handy here.
Last edited by AL Farmall Boy on Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

User avatar
Slim140
501 Club
501 Club
Posts: 4707
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:24 am
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Rust in gas tank

Postby Slim140 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:08 am

AL Farmall Boy wrote:*Moderators, this appears to be a Farmall Cub tractor not a Cub Cadet. Please move to the correct forum.

In your case you could try vaccuming it out or taking a shop rag attached to a wire and wipe through filler hole. Don't drop the rag though. One of those little grabber tools will come in handy here.

DON'T USE A VACUUM on a gas tank. The motor on the vacuum has sparks in it and the fumes from the gas exiting the vacuum will EXPLODE!!!
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

User avatar
AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 2500
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:38 pm
Zip Code: 35111
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Rust in gas tank

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:40 am

Shane Nelson wrote:
AL Farmall Boy wrote:*Moderators, this appears to be a Farmall Cub tractor not a Cub Cadet. Please move to the correct forum.

In your case you could try vaccuming it out or taking a shop rag attached to a wire and wipe through filler hole. Don't drop the rag though. One of those little grabber tools will come in handy here.

DON'T USE A VACUUM on a gas tank. The motor on the vacuum has sparks in it and the fumes from the gas exiting the vacuum will EXPLODE!!!


That is a very good point! Never thought about that being an issue. If it is a shop vac with a long enough hose, would that be ok? Just curious. I had a radiator shop recommend I do that to a tank once before bringing to them to clean. Ha!!
Last edited by AL Farmall Boy on Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

User avatar
Slim140
501 Club
501 Club
Posts: 4707
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:24 am
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Rust in gas tank

Postby Slim140 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:42 am

AL Farmall Boy wrote:
Shane Nelson wrote:
AL Farmall Boy wrote:*Moderators, this appears to be a Farmall Cub tractor not a Cub Cadet. Please move to the correct forum.

In your case you could try vaccuming it out or taking a shop rag attached to a wire and wipe through filler hole. Don't drop the rag though. One of those little grabber tools will come in handy here.

DON'T USE A VACUUM on a gas tank. The motor on the vacuum has sparks in it and the fumes from the gas exiting the vacuum will EXPLODE!!!


That is a very good point! Never thought about that being an issue. If it is a shop vac with a long enough hose, would that be ok? Just curious. I had a radiator shop recommend I do that to a tank once before bringing to them to clean. Ha!!

No, it doesn't matter how long the hose is, the fumes are going to the vacuum and exiting the vent hole. Not a good idea!
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

User avatar
AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 2500
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:38 pm
Zip Code: 35111
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Rust in gas tank

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:50 am

:thumbsup:
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

User avatar
Urbish
5+ Years
5+ Years
Posts: 2275
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:45 pm
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1948 Farmall Cub
1977 International LoBoy 184
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Cub-193 Moldboard Plow
Cub-54A Leveling and Grader Blade
Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade
Unknown 5' Single Gang Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Manchester, MI

Re: Rust in gas tank

Postby Urbish » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:37 pm

You'll have to remove the tank from the tractor to get the last little bit of rust out. I recommend a product like POR-15 to coat the inside of the tank and stave off future clogging problems. You'll need the tank off the tractor to do that anyways. I have used POR-15 on two of my other tractors with great results. My H was done about 10 years ago and its holding up great. Make sure you follow the directions and let it dry for a good long time before putting fuel back in.
Jim

Circle of Safety

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 7388
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:02 pm
Zip Code: 00000
Location: in northern usa

Re: Rust in gas tank

Postby BigBill » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:37 pm

Add a inline stone filter too.

Remove the tank, rinse it out with water, add bb’s and water and shake it up. I often put my left over smokeless two stroke mix in the tank not much just a tad.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Jamesk
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:32 pm
Zip Code: 38730
Tractors Owned: 1963 John Deere 4010
1958 Ford 851
1975 International Cub

Re: Rust in gas tank

Postby Jamesk » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:43 pm

I've not had to do this but have thought about it a couple times. Why not place a magnet or two on the underside of the gas tank. Preferably directly under the filler opening. Then drain the tank and use the vacuum to clean all the sediment out of the tank. Being careful of course.

JK

User avatar
Slim140
501 Club
501 Club
Posts: 4707
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:24 am
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Rust in gas tank

Postby Slim140 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:58 pm

Jamesk wrote:I've not had to do this but have thought about it a couple times. Why not place a magnet or two on the underside of the gas tank. Preferably directly under the filler opening. Then drain the tank and use the vacuum to clean all the sediment out of the tank. Being careful of course.

JK

Vacuums and gas don't mix. It's not the liquid you have to worry about, it's the fumes. It's why you don't smoke when you fill your vehicle up, the fumes coming out of the tank, etc.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

Crimson Tim
5+ Years
5+ Years
Posts: 564
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:09 pm
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Rust in gas tank

Postby Crimson Tim » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:07 pm

Jamesk wrote:I've not had to do this but have thought about it a couple times. Why not place a magnet or two on the underside of the gas tank. Preferably directly under the filler opening. Then drain the tank and use the vacuum to clean all the sediment out of the tank. Being careful of course.

JK


Black iron oxide, Fe3O4, is somewhat less responsive to a magnetic field than steel.
Red iron oxide, Fe2O3, is only weakly responsive to a magnetic field.
Mostly, the magnetic field will get distributed over a wider area by conduction through the bottom of the tank itself.
So you may succeed in pinning the rusty debris in place, but probably not in the highly localized way that would make removing it easier.

I think an inline filter will do a better job for you.
And keep your tank clean. Don’t let rust in there get out of hand, or you’ll get pinholes, too. Any gas leak is bad news, but even worse if you have an underslung exhaust!

And yes, do not use a vacuum anywhere near gas fumes.

Dan In Arkansas
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:00 am
Zip Code: 72419
Tractors Owned: 1959 Farmall Cub

Re: Rust in gas tank

Postby Dan In Arkansas » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:26 pm

Thanks for all the responses and I think I will try cleaning the tank first (no vacuum cleaner) and if I can't get it clean I will have to take the tank off. I am hoping I will not have to as I think the tank has not rusted but the gas that I poured in the tank was old and full of rust. The tractor will run smooth after it has set over night and the gas in the bowl will be clear but when it is driven over ruff terrain I start to see the fine red tint in the bowl. It appears to be less each day. So here is hoping I can get it clean out without taking the tank off. But I do appreciate the comments and suggestion as I will be using them.
Thanks
Dan

User avatar
Urbish
5+ Years
5+ Years
Posts: 2275
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:45 pm
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1948 Farmall Cub
1977 International LoBoy 184
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Cub-193 Moldboard Plow
Cub-54A Leveling and Grader Blade
Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade
Unknown 5' Single Gang Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Manchester, MI

Re: Rust in gas tank

Postby Urbish » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:36 am

Dan In Arkansas wrote:Thanks for all the responses and I think I will try cleaning the tank first (no vacuum cleaner) and if I can't get it clean I will have to take the tank off. I am hoping I will not have to as I think the tank has not rusted but the gas that I poured in the tank was old and full of rust. The tractor will run smooth after it has set over night and the gas in the bowl will be clear but when it is driven over ruff terrain I start to see the fine red tint in the bowl. It appears to be less each day. So here is hoping I can get it clean out without taking the tank off. But I do appreciate the comments and suggestion as I will be using them.
Thanks
Dan


:thumbsup:
Jim

Circle of Safety

User avatar
Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Posts: 4722
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:30 pm
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: IN, McCordsville

Re: Rust in gas tank

Postby Jeff Silvey » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:03 am

I have to agree with Shane. Sparks & flammable fumes gases defiantly don't mix. Please DON'T do it.
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Posts: 4692
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:20 am
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: OH West Mansfield

Re: Rust in gas tank

Postby Gary Dotson » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:41 am

Didn't someone post a link, a couple years ago, of a guy using a vacuum cleaner on a gas tank and the resulting explosion? I've seen it somewhere, probably one on u-tube.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Farmall Cub”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests