This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Little problem with the C-3...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ben B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24354
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub post demo 108xxx
Circle of Safety: Y

Little problem with the C-3...

Postby Ben B » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:44 pm

Yep, if you ain't figured it out yet, that skid is supposed to be attached to the deck!

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

I was mowing away and it was doing its usual superb job when I looked down and noticed that the skid was GONE! I immediately stopped and looked and it was about 50 feet behind the tractor. I finished up the mowing job and it did just fine except for scalping the yard in a few places due to the missing skid.

1950 Farmall Cub post demo 108xxx
1964 Farmall Cub 6 volt 223xxx
1968 Fairmont Railroad Motor Car 2 cycle hit and miss single cylinder

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Re: Little problem with the C-3...

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:54 pm

Hopefully your best friend is a welder.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:03 pm

Weld the skid back in place. Then take a piece of L steel and lay it on top of the vertical L, weld. Another piece of L and patch it in at the end of the horizontal L, weld. Basically you are reinforcing the welding in the broken off skid.

Edit. Looks like the right rear bolt holding the spindle is loose.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:36 pm

The skid usually attaches to the deck with 2 nuts and bolts. Yours looks like they are loose, which might have allowed the skid to flop around, "worrying" the deck metal until it broke, especially if you hit something like a post. I use 2 nuts along with a lockwasher to keep it from loosening

It's hard to tell from the photo, but is the skid already welded to the piece of deck it ripped off? And finally, it does look like you have some loose spindle bolts...make sure they are nice and tight...you may have to add some large area (fender) washers to them.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Ben B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24354
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub post demo 108xxx

Postby Ben B » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:52 pm

Thanks folks for the input and recommendations! Yep, the skid was welded in place, so those loose bolts on the skid weren't holding anything. Whomever previously owned it welded up every single adjustment on it... :?

The one bolt loose on the spindle is where I'm changing it. I have another one on the way from a forum member because that particular one has a broken shaft underneath and has been jury rigged back to somewhat of a working order. But, I can't complain. I got this mower for a bargain 6 or 7 years ago and haven't had to do much of anything to it, so it's definitely given me its money's worth!

If I happen to run across another decent C-3 mower I may just junk this one and use it for parts. The mule drive is in very good condition, but all three spindles are in need of a rebuild. I don't know if I can find just a deck, which would be all I need.
1950 Farmall Cub post demo 108xxx
1964 Farmall Cub 6 volt 223xxx
1968 Fairmont Railroad Motor Car 2 cycle hit and miss single cylinder